Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

Are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

• Total voters

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Until the Beatles came along, most groups sounded tinny with that early 60s twang sound. The Beatles learnt their craft in the disinterested and noisy drug-infested music venues of Hamburg and they had to make a lot of noise in order to be heard. So their first innovation was a strong drum sound backed with heavy rhythm guitar.

Their second innovation was to stop relying on lovey-dove words, but to pluck words from playbills or newspapers articles for their inspiration. Their songs began to tell stories and were mini rock-operas.

Their third innovation was to break away from guitar and drums and introduce other musical instruments into their music, from organs, to sitars, to full orchestras.

The list goes on. Almost everything they did, musically, had never been done before.

Simply not true.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It actually says what 'many' musicologists consider. So I assume they have their reasons for discounting the Kinks - For what it is worth I agree with you about My Generation and You really got me. My personal opinion counts for little in this discussion as the point I am making is about using objective measures to measure the Greatest Band of All time. I think that using a range of measurements of greatness the Beatles will score highly across the board and in more measures than other bands. Disproving that they are the most innovative (which i accept has been done) does not disprove that they are the greatest.

Your opinion does count.

Your ear counts when discussing styles and sounds. If people can hear quite clearly the foundations of hard rock in the 3 songs previously mentioned then it's clear Daytripper isn't as these "musicologists" point out such a defining song at all.

You and I could be considered musicologists if we've listened to enough music and referenced enough musicl history to put it into context.

In fact I dub thee a "musicologist".

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Until the Beatles came along, most groups sounded tinny with that early 60s twang sound. The Beatles learnt their craft in the disinterested and noisy drug-infested music venues of Hamburg and they had to make a lot of noise in order to be heard. So their first innovation was a strong drum sound backed with heavy rhythm guitar.

Their second innovation was to stop relying on lovey-dove words, but to pluck words from playbills or newspapers articles for their inspiration. Their songs began to tell stories and were mini rock-operas.

Their third innovation was to break away from guitar and drums and introduce other musical instruments into their music, from organs, to sitars, to full orchestras.

The list goes on. Almost everything they did, musically, had never been done before.

I think this idea has been roundly disproved on this thread. What they did though was take many of these ideas and innovations and make them accessible to people by combining with their amazing song writing and musical ideas to create wonderful peices of music which have and will continue to stand the test of time.

Which is why they have been name checked and covered by such a wide range of musicians over the years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cover_versions_of_the_Beatles_songs

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stato;5936814 I'll leave the subject now because arguing with Beatles evangelists is a bit like arguing with proponents of creationism or intelligent design. They are so wrapped up in the myth that defines their world view that contradictory evidence has to be dismissed said:
I would have hoped, after expending so much effort trying to disprove that the Beatles were the greatest ever band, that you might have got around to telling us who in your opinion was, before you left. This accolade has to belong to some band, you seem to have forgotten that this thread is about an opinion, not a fact.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I would have hoped, after expending so much effort trying to disprove that the Beatles were the greatest ever band, that you might have got around to telling us who in your opinion was, before you left. This accolade has to belong to some band, you seem to have forgotten that this thread is about an opinion, not a fact.

I have not given any opinion on the nebulous concept of 'greatness' simply pointed out that:

1) Popularity does not equal artistic merit, &
2) The Beatles have been credited with a lot of innovations that they were not responsible for.

If I had to pick the most important artist in rock it would be Dylan, my favourite band in the genre, The Kinks. However, this, like most of this thread, disregards most black music. Consideration would have to be given to Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Bob Marley, Chuck Berry, James Brown and the work that centres around the Stax house band.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

It's not a myth. I was there at the time, and there was nothing and no one to compare to them every time they brought out a new record. Even the Stones initially sang Beatles songs and Beggar's Banquet is a direct response to Sgt Pepper.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's not a myth. I was there at the time, and there was nothing and no one to compare to them every time they brought out a new record. Even the Stones initially sang Beatles songs and Beggar's Banquet is a direct response to Sgt Pepper.

Nope Satanic Majesty's Request was and it was a pretty poor response as well. Beggars Banquet was superb though. I was there too :wink:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I have not given any opinion on the nebulous concept of 'greatness' simply pointed out that:

1) Popularity does not equal artistic merit, &
2) The Beatles have been credited with a lot of innovations that they were not responsible for.

If I had to pick the most important artist in rock it would be Dylan, my favourite band in the genre, The Kinks. However, this, like most of this thread, disregards most black music. Consideration would have to be given to Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Bob Marley, Chuck Berry, James Brown and the work that centres around the Stax house band.

In the mid 1950s, Elvis Presley did much to popularise black music, pretty much because he was seen as a white man singing black music. Of the rest of the people you name, none of them were bands or groups, with the exception of The Kinks. The Kinks were a great band for a few years (I was in love with Dave Davies for a while!) and although they lasted longer as a group than did The Beatles, they haven't had the same long-term impact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here