Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Albion on the backlash of a hate campaign

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think its a combination of Poyet's behaviour, too many fans with delutions of grandeur and to a lesser extent jealousy.

Poyet needs to conduct himself better by excepting when he has made mistakes, give praise to the fans when it is due and focus on the job he is paid to do, not whoring himself to the media at any given oppertunity, his comments regarding Suerez, whatever your viewpoint were far from wise.

SOME of our fans need to slap themselves in the face and remember where we have come from, lording it over rival fans going on about crap like attendances shows a lack of class and makes us look two bob.

we are a fantastic family football club led by a wonderful chairman in Tony Bloom, in the years i've supported the club we have always been a popular club it would be a shame if our image was tarnished by our hotheaded manager and a small minority of idiot fans IMO.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Jealous of what?

REcently won at Wembley, recent promotion, gates up bigger than some two divisions above us with away following to match, pushing for another promotion, one of the few clubs to make a profit year on year!

Jealous, absolutely :):):):):)

i imagine you lot are jealous of dagenham at least they have 4 sides

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
The stats show our opponents also having high booking counts against us in most cases they have received more yellows than us in each game.

Exactly. Albions style of play makes other teams adjust their style much to opposing fans annoyance.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
MK Dons will ALWAYS be hated by every proper football fan.

I think it's to do with the disciplinary record more than anything else but the referee's from now on take our reputation in their minds so it's a catch-22 situation. Neutrals always liked Nottingham Forest when Brian Clough was in charge because he wouldn't stand for any indiscipline whatsoever and played good football. Not every club will love us but there are far more unpopular ones in the Championship.

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
I think its a combination of Poyet's behaviour, too many fans with delutions of grandeur and to a lesser extent jealousy.

Poyet needs to conduct himself better by excepting when he has made mistakes, give praise to the fans when it is due and focus on the job he is paid to do, not whoring himself to the media at any given oppertunity, his comments regarding Suerez, whatever your viewpoint were far from wise.

SOME of our fans need to slap themselves in the face and remember where we have come from, lording it over rival fans going on about crap like attendances shows a lack of class and makes us look two bob.

we are a fantastic family football club led by a wonderful chairman in Tony Bloom, in the years i've supported the club we have always been a popular club it would be a shame if our image was tarnished by our hotheaded manager and a small minority of idiot fans IMO.

Spot on! Too many "fans" seem to think now we have the Amex we are a massive club and should beat whoever we play. And when we don't the abuse at the players who got us in this league is pathetic!

abc

Jan 6, 2007

Spot on.

At the beginning of this season there was probably more good will being extended to BHA by other fans than for any other club. After all the difficulties there we were with a new stadium, new team, new chairman who is actually a fan, and a young promising manager. Unfortunately a percentage of our fans have quickly forgotten from whence we came behaving at times with stunning arrogance. Criticising, even taking the piss out of, other grounds when only last season we offered the worst away experience of any club in the league. Suddenly we have the best support - home and away - and every other club's fans are shit. At times the away support has been embarassing chanting such classics as "...... is a shithole' etc. Apart from Palace, which away fans have taken the piss out of us at the Amex? None that i can recall. On NSC, away fans can find copious amounts of arrogant drivel from certain 'fans' ( a minority but their posts are easy to find) who think we are now the new Barcelona and every other club should bow down and pay us homage. Then on the touchline Gus has come across more and more of a whinger than a competent manager and on the field we have frankly been an embarassment - not because of our football but for our conduct.

Be honest, if you werent an Albion fan would you be able to find anything to like about our club and fans?

Perhaps fans, management, club and players alike could make one united new year's resolution: to show some humility.

Just a thought.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Spot on.

At the beginning of this season there was probably more good will being extended to BHA by other fans than for any other club. After all the difficulties there we were with a new stadium, new team, new chairman who is actually a fan, and a young promising manager. Unfortunately a percentage of our fans have quickly forgotten from whence we came behaving at times with stunning arrogance. Criticising, even taking the piss out of, other grounds when only last season we offered the worst away experience of any club in the league. Suddenly we have the best support - home and away - and every other club's fans are shit. At times the away support has been embarassing chanting such classics as "...... is a shithole' etc. Apart from Palace, which away fans have taken the piss out of us at the Amex? None that i can recall. On NSC, away fans can find copious amounts of arrogant drivel from certain 'fans' ( a minority but their posts are easy to find) who think we are now the new Barcelona and every other club should bow down and pay us homage. Then on the touchline Gus has come across more and more of a whinger than a competent manager and on the field we have frankly been an embarassment - not because of our football but for our conduct.

Be honest, if you werent an Albion fan would you be able to find anything to like about our club and fans?

Perhaps fans, management, club and players alike could make one united new year's resolution: to show some humility.

Just a thought.

f*** me, that's some overreaction. Have a sherry and relax.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I hadn't really noticed any such feeling towards the Albion. So I had a think, and no, I still don't think there is. All a load of guff and flannel, we're a football club, one of 92, we're a bit well known, we had a fanfare at the start of the season, and still wherever I go people ask me about the stadium, and if relevant are looking forward to coming here in due course. I can't really find any hatred towards us, unless of course you refer to a small amount fan representation on message boards, which to me seems to be mostly Albion fans criticising anything they can think of.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I hadn't really noticed any such feeling towards the Albion. So I had a think, and no, I still don't think there is. All a load of guff and flannel, we're a football club, one of 92, we're a bit well known, we had a fanfare at the start of the season, and still wherever I go people ask me about the stadium, and if relevant are looking forward to coming here in due course. I can't really find any hatred towards us, unless of course you refer to a small amount fan representation on message boards, which to me seems to be mostly Albion fans criticising anything they can think of.

100% this. The 'nobody likes us' paranoia is getting silly round these parts. Stop worrying so much about what other fans think of us because the reality is they don't give us much thought at all. Think about it, how often do you actually think about other clubs and their fans? Not often I bet, and certainly not to the extent to get that wound up by them. The real arrogance is thinking other fans give enough of a shit about us to form such a strong opinion one way or the other.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I do not believe we are hated by other clubs, other than those where there has been historic needle, at all. What evidence is there to the contrary?

I live in london and live and work around supporters of many clubs at all levels and the feeling towards us is never anything other than neutral to positive except from Palace and the odd Saints or Pompey fan.

I feel sorry for those of you that seem to think that a few words on the web reflect real life.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

The best post I've seen for sometime...

Just to add, a few of our fans lording it on other fans site's really is cheap and tacky and doesn't make us look good at all... A lot of these clubs supporters stood by us in our hour of need and it comes across that we are now saying to them, thanks but can you f*** off now!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The best post I've seen for sometime...

Just to add, a few of our fans lording it on other fans site's really is cheap and tacky and doesn't make us look good at all... A lot of these clubs supporters stood by us in our hour of need and it comes across that we are now saying to them, thanks but can you f*** off now!

Which if you search for the Pompey trials and tribulations, on here, that is exactly the message we are sending to Pompey fans...thanks but now f*** off

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Don't see people going on and on about managers like Lee Clarke and their histrionics (and Lee Clarke is proper mental).

Unfortunately I think Gus suffers from not being English, just like Suarez who for me is one of the most enjoyable players to watch in English football. If he gets fouled , it's his fault though and he's a 'dirty cheat'. Opposition fans have been giving it that for a while, now some of ours are joining in.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
We seem to have gone from being a well liked club to targets for hatred and abuse.

Why is this happening? Is it jealousy over the new stadium, the increase in JCL's and plastics? The constant whining of our fans about how no other club has had to go through what we have etc etc.

Gus's PR disasters?

Our disciplinary record?

Why are quickly becoming less popular than MK DONS?
Who cares?:shrug:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I don't accept the opening premise of this thread. To suggest we are hated is rather arrogant, but I think its part of this narcissistic "everyone hates us/loves us" bullshit that I despise so much about modern football.

The simple fact is that most other clubs could not give a flying f*** about us. And why should they? They have other rivalries - whether divisional or geographical - to worry about.

If there was a growing dislike of us, then I'd put it down to the good old fashioned English dislike of a foreigner. We have a lot of foreign players and a foreign management setup, and as everyone knows.... foreigners cheat.... whereas British men such as John Terry, Lee Bowyer, Joey Barton and Robbie Savage are bastions of humility, good grace, gentlemanliness and nobility.

The likes of Ferguson, Dalglish and Warnock (less so nowadays) behave like utter c*nts week in week out, but thats okay because they don't speak in stupid foreign languages or eat foreign muck.

Witness Lee Clark's xenophobic drivel last season about Gus and Tanno, despite the fact that Clark himself behaves far worse most weeks. Even Budgie - usually bright and eloquent - pedalled the same guff about the "foreign influence" when he was suggesting, with some justification, that our bench's poor behaviour was impacting on our disciplinary behaviour.

The good old fashioned suspicion of a foreigner. Bless us.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I don't think it's much more than 'the Gus effect'.

I think we're now largely viewed as a team of cynical professionals - looking to influence referees with histrionics and feigning injury.

To compound it, a lot of fans just don't understand the way we play and see us as massive time-wasters.

When you add it all together, it's not a likeable package for many.
Feigning injury Bozza?....so our injury list is just a figment of our imagination??? No one likes us...'We don't care!!! Lol!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
- miles adrift at the bottom of the fairplay league

I went through the stats yesterday, and southampton (along with five other teams) commit more fouls than us per game. For some reason (perhaps reputation, perhaps player behaviour toward officials, perhaps the amex exists in a twilight zone) we get more yellows per game than the teams that commit more fouls than us (southampton get the joint second fewest yellow cards despite being joint 19th for fouls committed (with palace)).

fouls v yellows 2011.12.28.jpg
(click to enlarge)

That lonely marker far away from the cluster about the trendline? That's brighton. (7.5% of our yellows are dissent, 6.25% of our opponent's yellows are for dissent, not the massive difference that would explain it, imo)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here