Are the Albion on the backlash of a hate campaign

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
We seem to have gone from being a well liked club to targets for hatred and abuse.

Why is this happening? Is it jealousy over the new stadium, the increase in JCL's and plastics? The constant whining of our fans about how no other club has had to go through what we have etc etc.

Gus's PR disasters?

Our disciplinary record?

Why are quickly becoming less popular than MK DONS?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's hardly a campaign, is it?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
To be honest i think Gus has a lot to do with this.I think Most people in football had a lot of respect for Poyet but for one reason or another that no longer seems to be the case.Dosn't really bother me though.
I think another reason is we have been poor little old Brighton playing in a shitty little ground in the lower leagues having just survived by the skin of our teeth,but all of a sudden we have pretty much everything going for us and a lot of people can't seem to handle that.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It doesn't help that people got a bit carried away at the start of the season with that winning run, suddenly thinking we're big shots

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Some of our own fans seem to hate some of our players (paynter, barnes, ankergren, sparrow, navarro, harley, vicente, painter etc), some of fans seem to be so ungrateful, even critical of aspects of the stadium that aren't deserving of it. When our own fans are like that, what right have we to expect others to be any different?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Some of our own fans seem to hate some of our players (paynter, barnes, ankergren, sparrow, navarro, harley, vicente, painter etc), some of fans seem to be so ungrateful, even critical of aspects of the stadium that aren't deserving of it. When our own fans are like that, what right have we to expect others to be any different?

I think having the stadium is great for obvious reasons but can't wait till it's fully completed as it does look unfinished at the moment.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Not sure if it's just me, but i kind of like the idea of being hated. Us against them.

MEH.

I think it shows that we are back and ready for proper football rivalries and no longer a team to be pitied and patted on the head.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Don't see it as a campaign (that would suggest organisation or pre-meditation by someone)... perhaps it is more a fairly understandable reaction to the "We're f***ing brilliant" attitude from last season and the start of this, coupled with all the hullabaloo around the Amex opening? Just a thought.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Mankind is innately jealous. And the internet gives a voice to such types / the idiots are loudest. It's a perfect storm in many ways. So no, I don't believe it's campaign. But simply because of these reasons coupled with our much bigger profile.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Don't see it as a campaign (that would suggest organisation or pre-meditation by someone)... perhaps it is more a fairly understandable reaction to the "We're f***ing brilliant" attitude from last season and the start of this, coupled with all the hullabaloo around the Amex opening? Just a thought.

I imagine some of our fans can be perceived the same way as 'new money'. Rather vulgar behaviour towards others with our new found wealth after being the poor relations for a generation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think it's much more than 'the Gus effect'.

I think we're now largely viewed as a team of cynical professionals - looking to influence referees with histrionics and feigning injury.

To compound it, a lot of fans just don't understand the way we play and see us as massive time-wasters.

When you add it all together, it's not a likeable package for many.

Nov 27, 2009
I hate the albion - they have a much bigger home than me, and with a bigger roof and everything.
They even have their own BUZZARD to chase off sparrows and pigeons! Bastards!

I am warming to Oxford, they have cool fans like 'jealous spires'.

Jealous of what?

REcently won at Wembley, recent promotion, gates up bigger than some two divisions above us with away following to match, pushing for another promotion, one of the few clubs to make a profit year on year!

Jealous, absolutely :):):):):)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I don't think it's much more than 'the Gus effect'.

I think we're now largely viewed as a team of cynical professionals - looking to influence referees with histrionics and feigning injury.

To compound it, a lot of fans just don't understand the way we play and see us as massive time-wasters.

When you add it all together, it's not a likeable package for many.

Indeed.
Absolute arrogance to assume its anything else.
New ground? So what, most teams have new grounds.

Lots of neutrals i know have been very surprised by Poyet and Tarricco and their 'antics'.

Also, we don't create chances and people hate negative teams.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I hate the albion - they have a much bigger home than me, and with a bigger roof and everything.
They even have their own BUZZARD to chase off sparrows and pigeons! Bastards!

I am warming to Oxford, they have cool fans like 'jealous spires'.

I thought we had a PEREGRINE FALCON?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports