Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are Chelsea actually safe?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Problem with Chelsea next season is they have no European football to worry about. If they have a decent manager in they could well have a run at the title.

They look like they have got their towels out this year in full knowledge of that. They are just playing time out.
That’s how they won it under Conte.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lampard keeps appearing in interviews on how Boehly, others and he are planning the future for the Chavs.

Crikey, the size of his ego only matched by Boehly’s stupidly.

Lampard’s only qualification for strategic business planning are some childhood exam certificates from his private schooling and he played the game.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Problem with Chelsea next season is they have no European football to worry about. If they have a decent manager in they could well have a run at the title.

They look like they have got their towels out this year in full knowledge of that. They are just playing time out.
I disagree. No European football means that they will need to ship out about 10 players of their current bloated first team squad, even more to accommodate any new signings or returning loans. That’s Forest levels of player disruption. They must be very close to FFP problems too. Now add in the loss of revenue from the European competition and sponsorship, plus attracting players that want at that level. I think they’re on the verge of a serious downturn, without the fan loyalists that a Utd or Liverpool have and an aging, fairly low capacity stadium, their revenue is under threat. Next season is huge for them, continue to get it wrong and they could be proper f***ed for a long time.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Chelsea's record since they arrived at the Amex for that game last year P29 W6 D8 L15 - 26 points.

That's relegation form (34 points over 38 games). Their previous 38 games had yielded 69 points.

We really did ruin them.
This little run of games will be interesting for them:

21/10 - Arsenal
28/10 - Brentford
4/11 - Spurs
11/11 - Citeh
25/11 - Newcastle
2/12 - Brighton
6/12 - Man Utd

Pochettino sacked on the 3rd December would be bitter/sweet because we all know where they’ll come knocking. 😬

This little run of games will be interesting for them:

21/10 - Arsenal
28/10 - Brentford
4/11 - Spurs
11/11 - Citeh
25/11 - Newcastle
2/12 - Brighton
6/12 - Man Utd

Pochettino sacked on the 3rd December would be bitter/sweet because we all know where they’ll come knocking. 😬
Yes, either Chelsea or Manchester United could come calling for Roberto should either NOT improve over the next couple of months or so!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I disagree. No European football means that they will need to ship out about 10 players of their current bloated first team squad, even more to accommodate any new signings or returning loans. That’s Forest levels of player disruption. They must be very close to FFP problems too. Now add in the loss of revenue from the European competition and sponsorship, plus attracting players that want at that level. I think they’re on the verge of a serious downturn, without the fan loyalists that a Utd or Liverpool have and an aging, fairly low capacity stadium, their revenue is under threat. Next season is huge for them, continue to get it wrong and they could be proper f***ed for a long time.
Fingers crossed

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, either Chelsea or Manchester United could come calling for Roberto should either NOT improve over the next couple of months or so!
There is zero chance of RDZ going to Chelsea: he's not stupid. I think it's unlikely that he'd go to Utd too. An unbalanced squad with unreliable owners and an entitled fan base. As the squabble with Sancho shows, there are issues behind the scenes there and it's a place most ambitious managers should avoid.

I can't see him in a hurry to move anywhere, he's building a formidable reputation here and he could have his pick of jobs in a couple of years.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Van Gaal warned Ten Hag about going to Man Utd - I think / hope that them and Chelsea are increasingly seen as a not clubs a manager goes to if they want to create something other than a big bank balance, and De Zerbi seems to want more than just that. Chelsea seemed to be turned down a couple of times until Pochettino signed up.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There is zero chance of RDZ going to Chelsea: he's not stupid. I think it's unlikely that he'd go to Utd too. An unbalanced squad with unreliable owners and an entitled fan base. As the squabble with Sancho shows, there are issues behind the scenes there and it's a place most ambitious managers should avoid.

I can't see him in a hurry to move anywhere, he's building a formidable reputation here and he could have his pick of jobs in a couple of years.
I hope this is true, but I thought the same about Potter.

Having said that, De Zerbi does seem to be more of a purist in many ways.
I'm sure he acknowledges the Brighton model is mutually beneficial and he can secure his reputation with the backing he'll get from the club.

I can envision a day, when the ceiling is reached and he has a Poyet level bust-up with the club.
Hopefully we can get 2 or 3 more seasons from him, before that day.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I hope this is true, but I thought the same about Potter.

Having said that, De Zerbi does seem to be more of a purist in many ways.
I'm sure he acknowledges the Brighton model is mutually beneficial and he can secure his reputation with the backing he'll get from the club.
There are quite a few differences between Potter and RDZ though. First of all, as you say De Zerbi is more of a purist, I also feel that he's less motivated by money. That's not a criticism of Potter; he has a young family while RDZ's kids are older, I'd also assume that De Zerbi has a few more sponds in the bank than Potter had (when he was at Brighton).

Secondly, Chelsea was a bit of an unknown quantity when Potter took over. Boehly spoke out bringing an end to the trigger-happy days and of building a project. It took about six months to realise that was a load of bollocks and managers can expect their P45 at any moment. On top of that, Potter was promised funds to build a team. He got the funds all right, but he got a bloated, disjointed squad - one that's got even more bloated under Poch. That's a bit of a mess for any future manager. It's not a place to build a reputation.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There are quite a few differences between Potter and RDZ though. First of all, as you say De Zerbi is more of a purist, I also feel that he's less motivated by money. That's not a criticism of Potter; he has a young family while RDZ's kids are older, I'd also assume that De Zerbi has a few more sponds in the bank than Potter had (when he was at Brighton).

Secondly, Chelsea was a bit of an unknown quantity when Potter took over. Boehly spoke out bringing an end to the trigger-happy days and of building a project. It took about six months to realise that was a load of bollocks and managers can expect their P45 at any moment. On top of that, Potter was promised funds to build a team. He got the funds all right, but he got a bloated, disjointed squad - one that's got even more bloated under Poch. That's a bit of a mess for any future manager. It's not a place to build a reputation.
I would add to this that RDZ appears to make more decisions based on emotion rather than cold analysis hard facts. I suspect he loves football more than money by quite a degree.

Potter took the pragmatic approach; a contract that would mean he’d never have to work again, probably the same for his kids - hard to turn down if you take the emotion out of it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Chelsea's buying power is going to be curtailed by FFP year on year for the duration of these 8 year contracts. A new manager should Poch fail isn't going to get the sort of riches that have been lavished before. Unless they're serious contenders for silverware, it's not that attractive a job any more

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
If we are to believe Romano, De Zerbi's exit clause can't be activated during the season. Obviously, could be bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here