Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone miss the Poyet passing style?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Have to say that although it was a frustrating scrappy game to watch live for 90 mins, after watching the 16 mins of highlights on the seagull player, on reflection, there was some good stuff being played.

Work in progress.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Pity it is nonsense.

We are a long way short of the organisational and tactical nous of Gus Poyet's Brighton and Hove Albion.

Sadly I agree, but I am completely happy to give Oscar at least this season to develope it.

Also given the injury list it is impossible to judge the style yet. Especially given how important Bridcutt was in the Gus passing set up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am a season ticket holder, haven't missed a home match and frequently go to away games. Stats are useful for making a point for debate rather than having a go at another poster.

So I take it you accept that had we been a little more clinical in the first half we should have gone in with a lead rather than a deficit!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
i am not missing poyet one bit

we had plenty of nights just like last night under him

And that was even with the likes of bridcutt and orlandi fit.

I agree.

People have very short memories.

At least we try and move the ball with a bit more tempo. Just so happens that our best players for doing this are unfit at present

I agree

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don't think Oscar has changed us that much at all, in fact we were just as poor for periods under Gus as we are currently with Oscar.

Under Gus in his first season in the Championship, we didn't win for 9 matches (L5 D4), from 17.09.11 to 05.11.11, and we lost 4 of our 5 games in December, then didn't win for 8 games from mid March to the end of the season.

Again under Gus, last season we lost at home to Birmingham about this same time, and didn't win for 7 games after a great start.

At the moment, I don't think Oscar has done much to change our style. Our formation is the same, and we are trying to pass it, however the team isn't clicking quite as well as it did under Gus, which is understandable given the new personnel coming in and the injuries we've had.

In fact possession wise we had 64% last night, 58% at Ipswich, 59% Bolton, 47% QPR, 57% Reading, 65% Millwall....

These are not the stats of a side that has given up on its principles of possession football. We do, when under pressure look to hit space more, and rightly I think, when a team is defending a high line, we are looking to put a ball over the top, which worked 2 or 3 times last night. It doesn't mean he's transformed our style, or we're suddenly a long ball side.

Good shout

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Pity it is nonsense.

We are a long way short of the organisational and tactical nous of Gus Poyet's Brighton and Hove Albion.

The tactical nous that saw us totally phuck up our promotion last season? A season that saw us play some absolute shite on many occasions. Or do you mean that great tactical nous that guaranteed that if we went behind we would never win? For TWO WHOLE SEASONS? That is some tactical nous. Maybe it was the wonderful tactical nous that saw your beloved outsmarted by a Wurzel you are referring to?

Granted, he had moments where his football was fantastic but in equal proportions some of his football was dreadful. We also witnessed a fair bit of mediocrity-especially away from home. It wasn't all Glory, Glory Gus Poyet and the stripes go marching on on on.

Try offering a balanced view of his tenure here-your fawning over him is embarrassing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The tactical nous that saw us totally phuck up our promotion last season? A season that saw us play some absolute shite on many occasions. Or do you mean that great tactical nous that guaranteed that if we went behind we would never win? For TWO WHOLE SEASONS? That is some tactical nous. Maybe it was the wonderful tactical nous that saw your beloved outsmarted by a Wurzel you are referring to?

Granted, he had moments where his football was fantastic but in equal proportions some of his football was dreadful. We also witnessed a fair bit of mediocrity-especially away from home. It wasn't all Glory, Glory Gus Poyet and the stripes go marching on on on.

Try offering a balanced view of his tenure here-your fawning over him is embarrassing.

I think you've made your point by now. If you didn't fully enjoy our last two seasons I'm not sure there's anything in football for you.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sadly I agree, but I am completely happy to give Oscar at least this season to develope it.

Also given the injury list it is impossible to judge the style yet. Especially given how important Bridcutt was in the Gus passing set up.

Bridcutt played 41 of our 46 league games last season. The season before 43 out of 46. There isn't any getting away from what an important player he is for us.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think you've made your point by now. If you didn't fully enjoy our last two seasons I'm not sure there's anything in football for you.

So I'm not allowed to comment when the Poyet fan club choose to ignore the reality of two seasons? Good and bad? I have a balanced view of his time in charge, something you and a few fan club members clearly don't.

Maybe you should actually read what I've written and you'll see that I did enjoy SOME of the last two seasons. I also hated some of the last two seasons. If you think Poyet was perfect during that time then I'm not sure you know anything about football.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
is there a new fitness regime? its not worked for kemy, but I see that Buckley is no longer the sicknote he was last season!

There certainly is and I know it to be true from players I've spoken to.

Much of the work the players are doing at the moment is in the gym building up their core strength and they've done far less work with the ball than they did under Poyet, which probably explains poor passing and movement, but better individual performances, like we've seen with Lua Lua.

Actually, my last comment was not a criticism of Garcia, but in fact Poyet and you only have to look know that we are stronger as the game goes on and conceding less in the last 10 minutes than we did for the last 2 years.

I understand that the coaching team's plans are to firstly get the players fitter and stronger...This accounts for why we have players out with so many, what I would call "stress" injuries... However, the players should then come back fitter, stronger & quicker.

This should take around 4 months for an elite athlete and so in January, we should start seeing some changes to the strength of the team.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Poyet has gone so lets not go and on about him Eh. He wanted to leave so surely he is not the messiah some of you are making him

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
is there a new fitness regime? its not worked for kemy, but I see that Buckley is no longer the sicknote he was last season!

There certainly is and I know it to be true from players I've spoken to.

Much of the work the players are doing at the moment is in the gym building up their core strength and they've done far less work with the ball than they did under Poyet, which probably explains poor passing and movement, but better individual performances, like we've seen with Lua Lua.

Actually, my last comment was not a criticism of Garcia, but in fact Poyet and you only have to look know that we are stronger as the game goes on and conceding less in the last 10 minutes than we did for the last 2 years.

I understand that the coaching team's plans are to firstly get the players fitter and stronger...This accounts for why we have players out with so many, what I would call "stress" injuries... However, the players should then come back fitter, stronger & quicker.

This should take around 4 months for an elite athlete and so in January, we should start seeing some changes to the strength of the team.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't think Oscar has changed us that much at all, in fact we were just as poor for periods under Gus as we are currently with Oscar.

Under Gus in his first season in the Championship, we didn't win for 9 matches (L5 D4), from 17.09.11 to 05.11.11, and we lost 4 of our 5 games in December, then didn't win for 8 games from mid March to the end of the season.

Again under Gus, last season we lost at home to Birmingham about this same time, and didn't win for 7 games after a great start.

At the moment, I don't think Oscar has done much to change our style. Our formation is the same, and we are trying to pass it, however the team isn't clicking quite as well as it did under Gus, which is understandable given the new personnel coming in and the injuries we've had.

In fact possession wise we had 64% last night, 58% at Ipswich, 59% Bolton, 47% QPR, 57% Reading, 65% Millwall....

These are not the stats of a side that has given up on its principles of possession football. We do, when under pressure look to hit space more, and rightly I think, when a team is defending a high line, we are looking to put a ball over the top, which worked 2 or 3 times last night. It doesn't mean he's transformed our style, or we're suddenly a long ball side.

This with bells on. You would think we have gone from 1970 Brazil to Wimbledon overnight reading some stuff on here. Fact is we play the same formation but a little less risk averse near our own goal. You don't need a neck brace ala steve cotterrill

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
You'd be a fool to say you don't miss it, it's just shame the man had a disgraceful personality that made a lot of people dislike him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here