Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone miss the Poyet passing style?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Despite how poor we were last night, some things haven't changed.

In front of goal we are consistently poor and need too many chances to get a goal, Crofts, Lopez and Ulloa all had very good chances in the first half which should have been taken.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I like the fact that Garcia changes things earlier rather than later in a match and not wait to long as Gus did. To be fair it was a good point gained in the end although if Ulloa had put that chance away in the first half they would of had to chase the game and we would be on here raving about the win.

He didn't at Ipswich despite the fact it was very apparent the midfield experimentation with Bruno was not working.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Some Poyet lovers seem to forget we had worse runs/performances under him. It's still incredibly early and Oscar hasn't even found his favored starting 11 yet by the looks of it (not helped by the injuries), yesterday was very, very poor but I don't think it surpassed getting dominated by Watford at home last season, for example.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Got Me there wasn't at Ipswich. :down:

Lucky you!

But I do take your point. Poyet only ever swapped like for like and often late in the day. Despite leaving the midfield alone at Ipswich he did introduce Lua Lua early which, hopefully, is a sign he will be a little more proactive than Poyet in terms of reacting to specific matches.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
An injury list, part caused by the new fitness regime implemented by Garcia...

Sorry, but that's a moronic statement with no foundation. Are you going to blame the injuries to Hoskins and CMS on Garcia. What about the regular injuries that Buckley kept picking up over the last two years.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Lost count of the number of threads on here criticising Poyet's style, and no 'Plan B'. Pass sideways and back but never actually trouble the opposition in their half etc etc.

Last night wasn't good by any means, but I do think it's the lack of Orlandi and Bridcutt really starting to tell in these situations. The midfield trio of Andrews/Crofts/Bruno just didn't work after about 20 minutes last night, mainly because Bruno lacked any kind of positional discipline which meant Andrews and Crofts were struggling to get into space when the ball was played from Kuszczak to Greer or Upson. That then meant they were forced to bypass the midfield altogether and aim long balls in for Kaz to run on to, or for Ulloa/Barnes to fight for. The two Sheff Weds centre backs could deal with that easily and so it continued. Bringing Buckley on at half time and then Kemy later on helped a lot as although Kemy isn't fully match fit or sharp, he still managed to improve the transition phases on occasions. Having Bridcutt and Orlandi in there will make a huge difference, as well as Spanish Dave finding some form again. CMS will also be able to capitalise on the times we do play balls in behind the defence too. So really not panicking myself, and don't see that getting another striker on loan is really the answer to our problems at the moment (although with Ulloa out for a while we do need a replacement, but it won't affect how we're playing).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I do miss the football we played under gus, but I think given time Oscar's Brighton will play equally as well, and hopefully even better. The transition is not going to be as smooth or quick as perhaps some people would like or were expecting, and the transition hasn't been helped by new players, bringing in youngsters to cover injuries, poor form from other players.

The football will get better, we just need patience. It's far too soon to draw any meaningful comparison to how we played under gus after he had three years developing his team.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Lucky you!

But I do take your point. Poyet only ever swapped like for like and often late in the day. Despite leaving the midfield alone at Ipswich he did introduce Lua Lua early which, hopefully, is a sign he will be a little more proactive than Poyet in terms of reacting to specific matches.

Oh dear that bad was it. All will be forgotten when we beat Forest on Saturday. ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some Poyet lovers...blah blah

I'm not saying he was perfect, but Poyet took this side from near the bottom of league one to 4th in the Championship, and improved the team every single year. Using "Poyet lovers" as a term to denounce people who appreciate what he did is pathetic given those circumstances.

Personally I miss the way we used to control games. As Walt says, we were inflexible with it at times and sometimes lacked something up front, but there is not a cat in hell's chance a team put out by Poyet would have lost to that lot last night. Wednesday may well go down and will certainly be in the bottom 6 all season - they are gash - and we almost lost to them.

I think (and hope) Oscar is probably still going to prove to be a good manager here, but we are very much WIP at the moment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not saying he was perfect, but Poyet took this side from near the bottom of league one to 4th in the Championship, and improved the team every single year. Using "Poyet lovers" as a term to denounce people who appreciate what he did is pathetic given those circumstances.

Personally I miss the way we used to control games. As Walt says, we were inflexible with it at times and sometimes lacked something up front, but there is not a cat in hell's chance a team put out by Poyet would have lost to that lot last night. Wednesday may well go down and will certainly be in the bottom 6 all season - they are gash - and we almost lost to them.

I think (and hope) Oscar is probably still going to prove to be a good manager here, but we are very much WIP at the moment.

I thought losing at home to Birmingham last season was pretty poor myself at a similar point in the season, and we were top of the league. They had just lost to Barnsley 5-0 the week before...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19684257

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It was too inflexible at times but at least we had a defined style and approach.

I also suspect quite a few people in our squad were more comfortable with the slower approach than the quicker, one-touch style Oscar wants us to play. Mainly, I imagine, because they are not good enough to be playing that higher tempo.

One obvious reason why Spanish Dave is struggling this season. He obviously flourishes in teams that play decent possession football.

We were promised that Oscar would continue the style of play we developed under Poyet. Can't see any sign of that so far.

I do wonder how all the Poyet haters will feel when we finish nearer to 14th this season than 4th. And we still haven't been told WHY he was sacked. Was it really something that couldn't have been resolved by banging some heads together? Could be a defining moment in the history of the club - and not a good one.

Will we really have to watch the kind of rubbish served up last night and on Saturday every week? We used to pass teams off the park, not any more. Last season proved that you don't have to play ugly to do well in this division. Maybe we were spoiled - but can't help feeling we won't see a Brighton side play with that much style and flair again for a long time.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I thought losing at home to Birmingham last season was pretty poor myself at a similar point in the season, and we were top of the league. They had just lost to Barnsley 5-0 the week before...
As I recall, Birmingham were not 3rd to bottom at the time. They were around 14th I think. FAR better than Sheff Wed are. Be honest, can you see Sheff Wed out of the bottom 6 without major managerial and player changes?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm pretty sure 90% of Albion fans would've loved Poyet to still be here. But he isn't and from the little of what we know about the summer it seems that his heart wasn't in it any more. There's nothing any of us can do about that and pining for the old manager who didn't want to be here isn't going to help the new manager who does want to be here.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The omly thing I miss from the Poyet passing style is those few mins. of sleep I used to grab as we passed the ball about at the back before finally getting round to launching some attacking football.

Unlike last night were we played the ball around the back for a bit, then hoofed the ball aimlessly forward. Yeah, much better

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Another point to note is the two GLORIOUS chances we had first half to almost put the game to bed before half time. First Spanish Dave receiving a great ball through to leave him free inside the area with just the keeper to beat, and then Ulloa going through and not getting control of the ball and letting Kirkland come out and smother his tame effort.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Unlike last night were we played the ball around the back for a bit, then hoofed the ball aimlessly forward. Yeah, much better

Indeed. I'm still amazed that, in an age where we have witnessed the development of teams such as Barcelona and (obviously nowhere near the same class) Swansea, people don't understand WHY Poyet wanted us to pass the ball in defence.

"The goals that way"
"This is boring"
"More URGENCY".

You have ONE AND A HALF HOURS to try and get the ball in the other goal. There is NO NEED to rush.

This isnt a criticism of Oscar as I hope he get's it right. But it still drives me mad that some people don't understand how we played under Poyet.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Indeed. I'm still amazed that, in an age where we have witnessed the development of teams such as Barcelona and (obviously nowhere near the same class) Swansea, people don't understand WHY Poyet wanted us to pass the ball in defence.

"The goals that way"
"This is boring"
"More URGENCY".

You have ONE AND A HALF HOURS to try and get the ball in the other goal. There is NO NEED to rush.

This isnt a criticism of Oscar as I hope he get's it right. But it still drives me mad that some people don't understand how we played under Poyet.

Exactly. And possession football also gives our defence a bit of a break while also stretching the opposition and making them concentrate and chase the game for large periods.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

I do appreciate what Poyet did for us, but some people can't seem to bring themselves to criticize anything about him and think he was god's gift. The point I was making is I can remember several far worse performances under him when we had virtually our whole squad available.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Seem to remember a lot of fans at the begining of GP s tenure were moaning at the passing at the back and tip tappy football...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here