Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone miss the Poyet passing style?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
And throughout his reign, no matter how much success it bought us.

Well the ones who kept shouting 'get it forward' have got their way. Let's just hoof it up there and see what happens...

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Anyone missing the first two months passing of Poyets reign? It's October, and Oscar's got a squad full of injured players.

No, I'm not missing it yet as it's new, and so far it's hit and miss.

Saying that, we should have had 5 by half time last night, and then it all went pear shaped when our defenders ****ed up once. Then Olloa got injured and the shape went. Then we had to reply on Kemy who is fast becoming fairly useless, lets hope he gets his injury out of the way and stop trying to go through three players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anyone missing the first two months passing of Poyets reign? It's October, and Oscar's got a squad full of injured players.

No, I'm not missing it yet as it's new, and so far it's hit and miss.

Saying that, we should have had 5 by half time last night, and then it all went pear shaped when our defenders ****ed up once. Then Olloa got injured and the shape went. Then we had to reply on Kemy who is fast becoming fairly useless, lets hope he gets his injury out of the way and stop trying to go through three players.

How could we have had 5 by half time when we only had 4 shots on target throughout the game? That's the most worrying thing for me with this team. Ipswich - 0 shots on target
Bolton - 2 shots on target
QPR - 1 shot on target

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
How could we have had 5 by half time when we only had 4 shots on target throughout the game? That's the most worrying thing for me with this team. Ipswich - 0 shots on target
Bolton - 2 shots on target
QPR - 1 shot on target

Dave 1 on 1
Olla 1 on 1
Crofts shot when he fluffed it.
KLL dive when he had time to ping it hard and fast across the 6 yard line
There was another but I can't remember. 4 then.

2nd half then,
Barnes missed a sitter
Andrews just past the post

Plenty of chances.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How could we have had 5 by half time when we only had 4 shots on target throughout the game?

Also, (prepare for a geeky statement) the statement doesn't work based on the basic principle of how we influence time.

If we scored the first chance then we would have gone back for a kick off and the path of events is altered. Chances 2,3,4 and 5 would not happen. We may create more, we may have created less. But ultimately you cant say "if we'd taken those 2 chances' as that would be impossible.

I'm cool.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Also, (prepare for a geeky statement) the statement doesn't work based on the basic principle of how we influence time.

If we scored the first chance then we would have gone back for a kick off and the path of events is altered. Chances 2,3,4 and 5 would not happen. We may create more, we may have created less. But ultimately you cant say "if we'd taken those 2 chances' as that would be impossible.

I'm cool.

Then I must be COOL as well because I was about to make the exact same point.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
OMG No more please ! Gustavo Poyet has gone. Things might never be the same for better or for worse. But whatever, we are now going to play soccer 'La Oscar :guitar: way'. Whilst now trying not to sound too much like Victor Meldrew let's get over it and try not to go into manic meltdown because we aren't winning every game. We are still without crucial players lets not forget.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It was too inflexible at times but at least we had a defined style and approach.

I also suspect quite a few people in our squad were more comfortable with the slower approach than the quicker, one-touch style Oscar wants us to play. Mainly, I imagine, because they are not good enough to be playing that higher tempo.

I think this is the issue. Most of our players do not have the technique to play a high tempo passing game. Whether they will acquire the technique remains to be seen, I somehow doubt it which means it's going to take a while and some probably controversial player turnover before we can play the way Oscar wants us to.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dave 1 on 1
Olla 1 on 1
Crofts shot when he fluffed it.
KLL dive when he had time to ping it hard and fast across the 6 yard line
There was another but I can't remember. 4 then.

2nd half then,
Barnes missed a sitter
Andrews just past the post

Plenty of chances.

As you have rightly pointed out we had chances but as you saw, chances don't mean goals.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
As you have rightly pointed out we had chances but as you saw, chances don't mean goals.

Although coaching obviously comes into it, the players need to take responsibility and flak for that. Crofts' miss at Ipswich was a real shocker

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
But are things really that different, I do think there is an element of rose colour specs when looking back at the past Gus had more than his far share of woeful football.

We are still (trying) to play possesion football, that has not really changed what has is that we are trying it quicker and more direct and the change of pace and direction seem to have stumped a few of our players. I think the last few weeks has seen Oscar starting to change the style to his and at the moment its a bit keystone cops, do you remember when Gus started imposing his style did it work in 2 weeks no it didnt, the team needed time to adjust.

We are in that same transistion phase now and I find it as frustrating as the next person when we appear to have taken several steps back but we do need a bit of patience (something rare in this day). If we are in the bottom 3 at Xmas I will be ranting as much as the next man but I dont think it will happen so for now I will forget last nights game and look forward to a 4-0 thrashing of Nottm Forest.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We are in that same transistion phase now and I find it as frustrating as the next person when we appear to have taken several steps back but we do need a bit of patience (something rare in this day). If we are in the bottom 3 at Xmas I will be ranting as much as the next man but I dont think it will happen so for now I will forget last nights game and look forward to a 4-0 thrashing of Nottm Forest.

Both the Ipswich and Sheff Weds games were very poor in my opinion. If we play similarly against Forest, I don't think I'll be the only one running out of patience. Under Gus, I could accept it if we played some decent possession football and ended up losing or drawing - but not playing the way we did last night.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
One obvious reason why Spanish Dave is struggling this season. He obviously flourishes in teams that play decent possession football.

We were promised that Oscar would continue the style of play we developed under Poyet. Can't see any sign of that so far.

I do wonder how all the Poyet haters will feel when we finish nearer to 14th this season than 4th. And we still haven't been told WHY he was sacked. Was it really something that couldn't have been resolved by banging some heads together? Could be a defining moment in the history of the club - and not a good one.

Will we really have to watch the kind of rubbish served up last night and on Saturday every week? We used to pass teams off the park, not any more. Last season proved that you don't have to play ugly to do well in this division. Maybe we were spoiled - but can't help feeling we won't see a Brighton side play with that much style and flair again for a long time.

What a ridiculous comment. Spanish Dave's missed passes are down to him and not because we don't play 'decent possession football'. Does our style of play mean Dave's corners are worse than Tiny Cox's-failing to get off the ground? It seems to me that fully paid up members of the Poyet Fan Club are enjoying our poor form at the moment whilst forgetting their beloved Gus also went through many bad spells. If Poyet had been more committed to the cause towards the end of last season we'd have finished 2nd, not 4th. In fact, with the squad he had at his disposal last season we should easily have finished in 2nd place. Games like Bristol away come to mind-zero shots on target-Gus was not managerial perfection.

He has gone. Move on and support the new man ffs.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The bit i can't quite get, and please someone explain this to me:

Poyet has gone, he's not coming back. So why are we still living in the past?

We've had two bad results and performances in a row (OMG, etc) but shouldn't we judge Oscar later in the year when he's got the players at his disposal and worked out his favoured 11?

I loved us under Poyet, we played some incredible football. But we need to take a leaf from Man Utd & Arsenal; allow the boss to put their mark on the team and not berate him so early in the season. Fickleness from fans is a massive issue in Football and really irks me.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What a ridiculous comment. Spanish Dave's missed passes are down to him and not because we don't play 'decent possession football'.

Strange, then, that his form has really dipped under Oscar. Perhaps he doesn't like the pace we now play at? Something isn't right, anyway.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The thought that Oscar Garcia, a man brought up in the style of Barca who has coached their youth team and will most likely manage the 1st one day, is going to turn a passing side into a long ball team is frankly laughable. Last night was not great and yeah we did revert to a few direct passes when chasing the game but that is not how I've seen the season so far.

What I have seen is Oscar taking the passing from Gus (which I loved) and putting more pace behind it. It will not always work because we don't have Barca players but give it time and atleast allow him to put out his strongest 11 before saying his team play long ball.

Also when a team stick 10 behind the ball and grab a lucky goal that is going to make things more difficult especially when you miss 2 chances in first 10 minutes.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The bit i can't quite get, and please someone explain this to me:

Poyet has gone, he's not coming back. So why are we still living in the past?

Because usually managers leave under two circumstances :

1. They are sacked because of poor results
2. They go to a "bigger" club

Poyet didn't leave under either of these circumstances and the board have taken a very large gamble. It may pay off ( hopefully ) but if it doesn't, maybe if we get relegated ?, then the board need to understand that they will be held accountable.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
We still have the players capable of playing the Poyet way, and at times we still do it. However we play, it's good to know we have a back 4 comfortable with the ball at their feet and looking for passes.

What Oscar is trying to do, is to install a bit more pace and zip to the passing through midfield. In small patches so far this season it's worked well. It will take time to get better. As someone mentioned, maybe we've not quite got the players just yet, or they're still getting used to it.

One thing that I've not seen a single person comment on, is that both Ipswich and Wednesday had their back line play VERY high up the pitch, which compressed the midfield up, pretty much putting a stop to the quick zippy midfield passing, or at least meaning it has to be VERY accurate. Therefore, we have to adapt, and last night that turned into playing over the top. As I see it, we haven't suddenly turned into long ball merchants, we were trying to play over the top of a tight midfield for the quicker players to get onto, and in fact, this is where we were getting most joy last night. (as an aside, this was a game that would have suited CMS to a T)

Looks like we're not only developing a plan b, but plans c and d as well.

Relax people

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here