Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else think the girls may not have been 'forced' into cocaine trafficking in Peru?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
If it was a couple of guys, would the sympathy, and the offerings of excuses for what they have been caught doing, be the same?

I havn't seen any sympathy for them in the media at all. Its more 'hey look at these idiots abroad'. It only became news when the cops released the video from Lima which was a week after they were caught. Think most people would let them swing no matter their sex or age.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I feel sorry for them - they were young and daft, and we've all been there, but thankfully our mistakes didn't mean a life ruined in a foreign prison.
I trust all of those who do condemn them out of hand have never had a cheeky line of Charlie in their lives, because if they have then they are utter hypocrites, given that what they were snorting was probably brought in by some sorry drug mule just like these two.

no, im not stupid enough to have done a line of Charlie

i look down at you from my high horse of superiority with contempt

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Me theory is - drugs debt, told to do this, it'd clear it, earn them a reasonable amount of cash, they get to live the high life in Ibiza for the rest of the season without having to work 7 nights a week, for 50Euros a night.

OR, wined and dined for a few days by some high rollers, given practically anything they want. Then 'co-erced' into doing it.

Either way extremely naive, and they were probably bait, Peru officials look good for stopping this and catching a reasonable haul, while probably 4 times the amount went through at the same time undetected. Don't believe the guns, threats stories, as there are more than enough people willing to risk it for £10k

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Me theory is - drugs debt, told to do this, it'd clear it, earn them a reasonable amount of cash, they get to live the high life in Ibiza for the rest of the season without having to work 7 nights a week, for 50Euros a night.

OR, wined and dined for a few days by some high rollers, given practically anything they want. Then 'co-erced' into doing it.

Either way extremely naive, and they were probably bait, Peru officials look good for stopping this and catching a reasonable haul, while probably 4 times the amount went through at the same time undetected. Don't believe the guns, threats stories, as there are more than enough people willing to risk it for £10k

download (36).jpg

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
The picture of the girls eating donuts that came out in the press whilst they are smiling in a jail... something in me became skeptical at that moment.

Pictures can be very deceiving, but something just doesn't seem right with this story.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The picture of the girls eating donuts that came out in the press whilst they are smiling in a jail... something in me became skeptical at that moment.

Pictures can be very deceiving, but something just doesn't seem right with this story.

I've you'd been given a few G of Peruvian finest to work your way through for a week, before boarding a plane, I'm sure whatever was happening I'd have a big grin on my face

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If I was being forced to carry drugs through an airport, first thing I'd do is write a note in my passport saying "Help me, I'm being forced to carry drugs, I need your help urgently etc" and hand it over to passport control. Yes, you run the risk of being arrested anyway as they may think you are just having second thoughts but the chances of anyone getting through with that are amount are non-existent anyway and it may help your case.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
If I was being forced to carry drugs through an airport, first thing I'd do is write a note in my passport saying "Help me, I'm being forced to carry drugs, I need your help urgently etc" and hand it over to passport control. Yes, you run the risk of being arrested anyway as they may think you are just having second thoughts but the chances of anyone getting through with that are amount are non-existent anyway and it may help your case.

I can't imagine its as obvious to two young people in such a strenuous scenario. Did they get caught at the beginning of their journey or the end of it?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
blimey....these girls are being made out to be 13-14 year old choir girls, rather than young women working in what can be a drug fuelled atmosphere such as Ibiza..Im pretty sure they were quite 'street-wise'....They knew what they were doing, and how many times has this 'excuse' been used?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm always in two minds about these cases. While I don't think there is any excuse I think doing time in some of these foreign jails is too much. They should be extradited and made to serve a full term in a UK prison.
I read a book about a guy who was banged up abroad, Thailand I think and at the end he summarises by saying he was a moron to even try to smuggle drugs but that no-one deserved what he went through. He was threatened with immediate execution when he was caught and he states that he wishes they had just done it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
One of their ex-boyfriends has pretty much confirmed she was a low-level drug dealer on the Island anyway! Nothing on this story is convincing me that they were 'forced' to do this

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
While I don't think there is any excuse I think doing time in some of these foreign jails is too much. They should be extradited and made to serve a full term in a UK prison.

Why the hell should the UK taxpayer have to pay for their upkeep? And why shouldn't the country where they committed the crime punish them?

This ridiculous press rubbish surfaces every time a Brit commits a crime abroad. All this bleating about legal systems and conditions in the prisons.

Peruvian prisons are overcrowded - there are circa 20,000 more people in them than prison places.

Guess what, UK prisons are overcrowded too - there are circa 10,000 more people in them than prison places.

This idea that the UK has the best judicial system and best prisons in the world and everywhere else is corrupt with prisons out of Midnight Express is just jingoist bullshit.

I bet foreign nationals arrested in Britain have their country's papers whipping up the same scare stories about British prisons and the British justice system.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
think the words 'gun' and 'parcel' might ring some bells .......

I'm not for one minute suggesting they thought the parcels were presents for someone's gran. My point is they did not know what was in them, could have been coke, heroin, guns, explosives whatever. An educated guess would suggest drugs or guns but I'm simply stating than unless they were told they would not know. How could they know other than guessing?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Why the hell should the UK taxpayer have to pay for their upkeep? And why shouldn't the country where they committed the crime punish them?

This ridiculous press rubbish surfaces every time a Brit commits a crime abroad. All this bleating about legal systems and conditions in the prisons.

Peruvian prisons are overcrowded - there are circa 20,000 more people in them than prison places.

Guess what, UK prisons are overcrowded too - there are circa 10,000 more people in them than prison places.

This idea that the UK has the best judicial system and best prisons in the world and everywhere else is corrupt with prisons out of Midnight Express is just jingoist bullshit.

I bet foreign nationals arrested in Britain have their country's papers whipping up the same scare stories about British prisons and the British justice system.

You make a good point about the taxpayer burden but I would still rather take a UK prison.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

This is my take on in it. I mean why would you leave Ibiza at the height of the season to go to bloody Peru? Seriously?

Silly girls, hopefully their status as young naive UK nationals will lead to a leinient sentence & they never conceived doing something so braindead again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I got seriously shouted down for suggesting this yesterday IRL & I don't know the truth of it either way but the arrogant Western Europe attitude of considering South America 3rd world just isn't anywhere near correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here