Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anyone else enjoy the experience yesterday?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You could have been fooled into thinking that Man Utd had actually won the FA Cup with the overly elaborate celebrations, music, congratulatory announcements and general bullshit fanfare. Dross.
Can't begrudge Man Utd their celebrations too much seeing as how as it really was their Cup Final on account of them being given a tonking by City in the actual final :lol:

Would rather it had been us tho :down:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I had a great day, result aside. Getting to Wembley was a doddle, train to Victoria, tube to Warren Street quick stroll to Marylebone, a swift pint or two and then the short journey to Wembley Stadium. Got into the White Horse which whilst rammed had a decent upbeat atmosphere to get us ready for the game. We went Club Wembley and I'd say the extra cash is worth it, terrific view and a decent concourse.

As for the game itself, I personally thought it was a good contest that ebbed and flowed nicely with us playing the better football but Utd, particularly in the middle of the second half, having their moments too. I genuinely thought we'd win yesterday so I understand and share the disappointment that we all feel this morning. That said despite the performance being slightly below the very high standards we have set for ourselves it was not a bad performance by any stretch of the imagination. We went there to win and play on the front foot, and that's what we did. United set themselves to spoil, put ten men behind the ball and hope to catch us on the break. That for me is a shallow victory of sorts. De Gea made some great saves, we suffered from the odd lack of control and decisiveness in and around the box, just one of those days. Lots of good performances from the likes of Dunk, Cacieido, MacAllister, March etc. Sanchez also stepped up with some good saves of his own too. All in all an even game in which we lacked that crucial cutting edge.

As for the shootout, I thought the atmosphere was terrific (and the noise throughout the game was good in my opinion), and once you get past 6 successful penalties it's a lottery. Someone has to be the fall guy and I attach no blame to Solly, he had a wonderful game, I look forward to once again lending him my support on Wednesday (if my bloody ticket ever turns up!).

Journey home not too bad. Queued for the Stadium station again and that queue was very well managed. Took up about half an hour or so to get on a train. Back to Warren St and then Victoria where I got a train back to Brighton straight away and back in time for last orders at the Evening Star.

So it was a frustrating day, Utd were there for the taking but we didn't take them. That is football, we weren't unlucky, we weren't robbed we just fell short after putting in a fine effort. My glass will forever be half full so I can cope with the disappointment of missing out on the final. I had a great day with my best friends and you can't really ask for much more than that.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Had the penalty shoot out gone the other way, it would have gone down as one of the best days in history to be an Albion fan.

And yeh I'm not really going to go along with the Wembley haters. Every big ground there are issues with getting chants going. I still find going up Wembley Way spine tingling

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Game of two halves.

A very convivial train journey up to LB chatting to other fans and some Irish ladies going to Gatwick and reading the Sunday papers. Nice easy tube trip straight to Wembley Park. Bit of a yomp to Green Man as the back passage was closed, so to speak, but a good time once in, loads of bars and food options so never too long in a queue and managed to get under cover in the slightly calmer marquee. Saw quite a few faces, old and new.

Everything after that was shit. Wembley is a terrible venue. Horrendously overpriced (£7.10 for a Camden Pale? F**k. Off.). Safe standing taken up by a mixture of day trippers and "lads" in Clone Island far too busy looking hard to sing. Probably doesn't help that it's in a really decent spot behind the goal and almost on Club Wembley level so it's much more expensive than a standing area should be. Poor atmosphere around us as a result and never felt like the lads were getting the backing they deserved. Everywhere shut on 90 mins so a nerve calming, expensive beer or a bottle of water weren't options. Afterwards a straight choice between not even clapping the boys and waiting for two hours in the rain for a tube with United fans.

Let's face it, semi finals are only played at Wembley to pay off the build cost. No way Man C v Sheff U should be played down in London when there are loads of northern venues that could have accommodated it. Wembley is in London the way that Lewes is in Brighton and if you were going to build a new national stadium today you wouldn't build it there. Horrible area too full of run down shops and shitty new builds. I'd be happy if I never went again, but because the FA insist on it, I'll have to if the club's going to be successful.

Sorry to be the grouch but I still agree with @Wrong-Direction 's thread last night.

I did have one highlight when in Wembley though - talking to a very bladdered @jackalbion and finding out his excellent middle name.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
You know what, I actually believe now. This Brighton & Hove Albion team IS as good as any in the top ten of the Premier League, and considerably more exciting to watch than most of them.

I don't begrudge United progressing to the final as the game really was quite evenly balanced, in fact it was an excellent advert for having replays!

So I quite enjoyed the day out, Wembley is a bit crap compared to the Amex though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yup. In contrast to seemingly quite a few others, we had pretty decent day. Train up to Victoria, fry up in the caff there, tube to Oxford Circus and changed there for Wembley Central.

Quick 5 minute walk from there to Liquor Station and another short walk from there to ground. Bit weird that the bar we were at in the ground had no pumps at all and were pouring out cans, but hey ho

Post match we stayed to clap players then back to same pub for a couple then Wembley Central back to Euston and tube to Victoria in time for the 22:05 back to Horsham 👍

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
in balance yes. it was OK game, bit edgy, good play from us bar finishing. the venue is like a large Falmer, with same issues, travel was as expected, KO time a bad idea. wouldnt be having this thread if we'd won.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Went to the Green Man before the game which was good (if a little wet and muddy). Getting into Wembley was quick (not sure why they bothered with the staggered entry times) but the bars seemed a bit hit-and-miss in terms of how quickly the staff were serving people.

I was in the 'safe standing' section and thought the atmosphere was a bit flat compared to most away games. Its such a big space its hard to get anything going and there seemed to be a lot of people in there who weren't up for singing anyway which didn't help. Game panned out as I thought it might and getting home was straightforward with no hassle with the tube or train.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The day was a good and memorable experience that would have been improved by urinals, greater availability of draught beer and shorter queues at half-time.

Also, I like a post-match pint to let the nerves settle and the blood pressure come down, so hate Wembley's "shut down and f**k off" policy after the final whistle.

However, I did manage to get on the telly for a good 5 second, so long enough for friends and family to notice as they watched.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The day was a good and memorable experience that would have been improved by urinals, greater availability of draught beer and shorter queues at half-time.

Also, I like a post-match pint to let the nerves settle and the blood pressure come down, so hate Wembley's "shut down and f**k off" policy after the final whistle.

However, I did manage to get on the telly for a good 5 second, so long enough for friends and family to notice as they watched.
Has to be said, the absence of urinals is downright odd. What gives?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don’t understand this as they pretty much sold out to season ticket holders?
When a large section of tickets are being given to "guests" and there are no name checks, neither of us knows if the people in there were all STHs. Could easily have been passed on.

Big aways sell out to T2s which is about where much of the safe standing was taken for this game, but the atmosphere at the bigger aways is always really decent.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I had a great seat on the half-way line as I had an invite to the Bobby Moore Club.
I've read some of the comments regarding being frustrated at the lack of singing but the noise from the Albion end was certainly better than any from United.

Just before kick-off when Good Old Sussex By The Sea was played and sung by the Brighton fans it put a tear in my eye.
When we remember that the song was adopted during the First World War as a marching song by The Royal Sussex Regiment and what those boys suffered, it puts into perspective Solly's penalty miss.

Boxpark before the game was brilliant and it was amazing to see Tony Bloom share the moment.
We lost, I'm sad, I'm proud, I'm excited for our future.

For anyone who's interested, some photos from my little camera of the day:

Photos from Brighton v Manchester United FA Cup Semi-Final

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I enjoyed the experience. Not a fan of the stadium or arrogant Mancs but doesn't take the shine off the pride of seeing Albion perform so well. It's difficult to believe we'll ever have a better team.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I had a great seat on the half-way line as I had an invite to the Bobby Moore Club.
I've read some of the comments regarding being frustrated at the lack of singing but the noise from the Albion end was certainly better than any from United.

Just before kick-off when Good Old Sussex By The Sea was played and sung by the Brighton fans it put a tear in my eye.
When we remember that the song was adopted during the First World War as a marching song by The Royal Sussex Regiment and what those boys suffered, it puts into perspective Solly's penalty miss.

Boxpark before the game was brilliant and it was amazing to see Tony Bloom share the moment.
We lost, I'm sad, I'm proud, I'm excited for our future.

For anyone who's interested, some photos from my little camera of the day:

Photos from Brighton v Manchester United FA Cup Semi-Final
That's some camera for a 'point-and-shoot' size. Great pics.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
That's J section
Just to be certain Those directly above us Should have been Brighton ?
did you see the Manure twats giving it large after the final whistle
From above ?
Who got this pair of CJTC s tickets ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-23-22-37-28-944-edit_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-23-22-37-28-944-edit_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_2023-04-23-22-36-54-311_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-23-22-36-54-311_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports