Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone else considering cancelling their ST's?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It is a tricky one to get your head round when you read the letter from Bloom saying how hard they've worked to freeze season ticket prices when you know they've just banked £13 million for Dan Burn.

And yes, i know it's the same for all football clubs that make a loss, before Chailey Jem's Barber alert goes off and he feels the need to defend the club. Doesn't make it any easier though.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Have a look at the 67m loss in the 19/20 accounts if banking 13m for Dan Burn is bothering you. The 20/21 accounts haven’t been published yet, but I doubt they’re much better given that the season was mostly played without fans in the ground.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
The issue is once you give up your ST, it can become habit forming, never to get another, especially as we are on the box so much.
Perhaps it's a natural progression to let all the old farts, drift off so the noisy youngsters can come in and spend their hard earned wonga, rather than the 'half a Guiness governor please' brigade.

Apart from the disrespectful language, I think you have your argument back to front. Us oldies are less likely to suffer from the coming financial difficulties than the young. NI changes for example won't affect the retired.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I didn't criticise! I can just see that it's probably difficult for some people to justify putting their money in to a league awash with money. Jeez.

Just out of interest - how much per game on a season ticket do you think they should be? All things in - I don't think £28 for Premier League football is that bad value - especially as my train ticket would be £9 a game.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Agreed. Income of £132M with £103M going on wages is disgusting.

The wages are staggering, but the radio is not too far out for a people based business. I work with half a dozen service businesses and we work to 65% as a working target for staff costs to revenue. Ideally it would be less but right now 2/3rds is about right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The issue is once you give up your ST, it can become habit forming, never to get another, especially as we are on the box so much.
Perhaps it's a natural progression to let all the old farts, drift off so the noisy youngsters can come in and spend their hard earned wonga, take bugle and hurl pints of lager around rather than the 'half a stupidly named, over-priced craft beer governor please' brigade.

Corrected for you.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We have 5 between me and my mate and one is "shared" between his daughter and mine. We can't really share them legitimately now and both girls are more interested in playing with each other than going to footy. Plus my mate is just getting divorced and needs to save every penny so next season we will only have 4 between us and let this one go.

It'll be a single in with a bigger group of 11 so it'll be interesting to see if it goes.

Any of the boys' friends fancying taking advantage of the season ticket amnesty and taking over that ticket? Can transfer it over easily enough: https://tickets.brightonandhovealbi...=usercontent/documents/html/seattakeover.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I won’t be giving up my ticket, I have come too far to quit now. But there does seem to be a perfect storm appearing which will certainly impact luxury items like Premier League football. It will be interesting to see how Barber deals with this. It was always going to be easy raising prices and cutting back pre-pandemic and when we were on the rise. Now is when he will really need to show his talent.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
No.
I noticed the other long running thread about cancelling/not renewing drifted off the first page around about the time we started this nice patch of form that we’re in…

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shocking grammar in the title as well.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This is a question a lot of football fans are asking, although ST at another team, two of my mates and myself have really got into non league football in the last 3 seasons, last season we bought ST for the Ishmian league team for £150 and have even started going to away games. It’s so much more fun than premier league football IMHO.

The team we are watching were getting gates of 70 odd 4 years ago they are now getting over 200 to most games ( 266 & 354 in the last two home games) a lot of palace & Brighton fans I have noticed, it’s affordable for the kids and the adults can watch while having a beer and a pie without wincing at the price.

Can see myself doing this once my kids have grown up and moved out. Will always love the Albion and watch when I can but not sure I'd be able to afford it in the long term. Go back to buying a few match by match tickets and going to non-league in between those matches.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Just out of interest - how much per game on a season ticket do you think they should be? All things in - I don't think £28 for Premier League football is that bad value - especially as my train ticket would be £9 a game.

It’s not. Mine was £40 though and we had two. So that’s £80 which is quite a lot for a football match. Add in all the extras like food and travel and suddenly you realize what a cost the game has become.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yes

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Yep. Away prices are capped at £30 and that's about right. I think generally Cat C prices and behind the goal prices are fair. Upwards of that though is silly money imho but everyone is different.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Bloom has put about £300m of his own money into the club. Let’s worry about paying that off before we criticise the club for not lowering ST prices this year. No?

True. But we live in a world of such staggering wealth inequality that I and many others have sunk a far greater proportion of our income, and a staggeringly greater proportion of our disposable income, into the club over the same period.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I have not renewed. I did the same about 4 years ago and nearly didnt last year.
As Herr Tub has said it's a perfect storm of the KO times changing, Covid issues and justifying the cost of the experience.
I'm also bored of motorways as its along day and petrol just keeps going up.
I have worked out that i could probably get to enough games without a ST that i am at present with.
I don't have any real bugbears it's just a balanced decision.
i also agree that this is probably as good as we have ever as a team. I would like a Heroic talisman of a player(preferably bagging in 20 a season, with a perm and called Peter) but they are all pretty good.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Consider it every year however me and the boy (U18) always renew. We now share it so for about £30 between us, we get to see a match a month (inc travel)

A lot have mentioned “going non league” but there’s non league and there’s (as Lionel Hutz would say) non league *wink*
I pay about six or seven quid following Peacehaven on the road, the boy generally pays a quid, but if you go to Boreham Wood, Kings Lynn etc a parent and child are paying in the region of the same amount we pay in the FS at The Amex

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bloom has put about £300m of his own money into the club. Let’s worry about paying that off before we criticise the club for not lowering ST prices this year. No?
Are you really worrying about a multi millionaires finances? Back in the real world most of us wince at filling up the car with the current cost of fuel.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not quitting as can afford a ST but can fully understand if anybody cant justify cost. With gate money such a small part of income for PL clubs I do find it hard that they can justify such high prices that lets face it keeps so many lower income people away. When a few years ago a new TV deal came in that gave all clubs £20m extra a season I thought what an opportunity to help supporters but I was living in cuckoo land because once again went to players and senior staff

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I gave mine up just before the pandemic hit. Financially I could afford the ticket but it was all the additional costs that were starting to add up. Beers, food etc.

I was also drinking far too much at that point. Far too much.

Made the decision to save some money and to regain control over my intake.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I totally get the financial side of wanting to give up a season ticket; I'm very lucky I can still afford it. But the other argument is enjoyment. I still totally enjoy going to see the Albion. Yes various elements like KO times could be better but I still always have a naive childlike excited idea it's only 11v11 and anything is possible and we can beat whoever we are playing feeling when I leave the house. My we-can-do-this attitude is what has sustained me for 45 years now. If this goes, then maybe I will reconsider. But the past 2 years have enabled us all to reassess certain priorities in life, reassess things we maybe took for granted; for me it has only reenforced my joy of watching Brighton. And Potter's football, where we are nearly always in a game, has only strengthened my we-can-do-this attitude.

Bring on Burnley!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here