Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone care about ROI vs England?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Rooney's failure to control a simple through ball, which would have put him in on goal, was the final straw for me. There was no quality on show from two mediocre sides, who are light years away from being decent. Forget it being a friendly..we have bred a generation of hyped-up footballers who struggle with the basics. This is as bad as I have seen in 50 years. No ability to go past people. No ability to cross the ball with any accuracy. Poor first touch. No shooting ability.
All just very, very sad that our national game has descended to this level.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Rooney's failure to control a simple through ball, which would have put him in on goal, was the final straw for me. There was no quality on show from two mediocre sides, who are light years away from being decent. Forget it being a friendly..we have bred a generation of hyped-up footballers who struggle with the basics. This is as bad as I have seen in 50 years. No ability to go past people. No ability to cross the ball with any accuracy. Poor first touch. No shooting ability.
All just very, very sad that our national game has descended to this level.

It's the poor first touch that always does my head in.

Although I don't really agree our national game had descended to this level. Isn't it always at that level?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Why are people moaning? Who is going to want to go all out in these friendlies? no major tournement this year, the game seems like a complete waste of time, give the players the rest and time off. Move this friendly to the start of the new season and this game would have/could have been electric. If the fans dont care, why should the players all that much. Imagine picking up a knock and spending all summer in and out of the treatment room.

People need to get real It is a pointless end of season friendly which will not help Roy in any way. They would have been better off getting a larger squad together put on a small training camp and forced them to jel as a squad.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why are people moaning? Who is going to want to go all out in these friendlies?

To earn a place in this weekend's european qualifier? To get up to speed so the qualifier isn't the first game they've played in over a month?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why are people moaning? Who is going to want to go all out in these friendlies?

The point isn't about England going "all out", more they struggle with the absolute basics of football.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The point isn't about England going "all out", more they struggle with the absolute basics of football.

they dont really, its more a case of regular qualification (they are already almost there) in a league format that implies form, then lose the plot or at least get knocked out in a cup competition. admittedly we have punched below our weight in knockout competition but the league winners dont always win the FA cup.

we could prepare better and better invest top to bottom. but we are harsh on ourselves. spain won three eigths of nothing for years with a population and top flight of a similar size to England. We will win a major tournament again. Not a very English view I know as part of the fun is the hysteria and self flaggelation. but we dont want to be germany, or the dutch or french or spanish. we have the luxury of always being better than the jocks as our rivals, which to real fans is much more fun than ruthless efficiency.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I went to the match yesterday.

Was I expecting anything better? No not really. It was friendly, a warm up match for two teams with a more important game round the corner.

Frankly it's a pointless affair that is only there for a purpose. To judge the ability of our national team on that game is ridiculous, and highlights the lack of knowledge of international football on this board.

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
I was there too

Bloody cracking big two nights in Dublin! Parteeee interrupted by worst game ever but fab time

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I went to the match yesterday.

Was I expecting anything better? No not really. It was friendly, a warm up match for two teams with a more important game round the corner.

Frankly it's a pointless affair that is only there for a purpose. To judge the ability of our national team on that game is ridiculous, and highlights the lack of knowledge of international football on this board.

Its not a question of knowledge of international football, its the analysis of these current England players and how poor they are in many aspects of their game. Unwillingly, they have become inherently more lazy in their desire to learn and improve. As foreign, world class players dominate in the PL, our young English players get left behind and they allow themselves to be carried by them. Young players are suckered into thinking that they have made it by 20 years of age. They are earning vast sums of money and are financially secure very young but the hunger to learn and improve isn't there. You watch the Champions league final and then you watch England v ROI. The latter was like a game in the local park. I don't care if its a friendly. I want to see my national team passing accurately, running off the ball well, moving the opposition around, showing good touch and actually looking like highly paid professionals, who have an important game very soon.
Its an old adage that sloppy practice makes sloppy play. Every international game, irrespective of status, should display a certain standard. Its unacceptable to say that you expected a load of dross just because it was a warm-up. It was a full-blown international match and in the record books.
The standard of our football is falling ( where are we ranked now? ) and it permeates through all levels. I watched nearly 30 games in the Championship last season and thats the poorest standard I have ever seen.
Very worrying!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its not a question of knowledge of international football, its the analysis of these current England players and how poor they are in many aspects of their game. Unwillingly, they have become inherently more lazy in their desire to learn and improve. As foreign, world class players dominate in the PL, our young English players get left behind and they allow themselves to be carried by them. Young players are suckered into thinking that they have made it by 20 years of age. They are earning vast sums of money and are financially secure very young but the hunger to learn and improve isn't there. You watch the Champions league final and then you watch England v ROI. The latter was like a game in the local park. I don't care if its a friendly. I want to see my national team passing accurately, running off the ball well, moving the opposition around, showing good touch and actually looking like highly paid professionals, who have an important game very soon.
Its an old adage that sloppy practice makes sloppy play. Every international game, irrespective of status, should display a certain standard. Its unacceptable to say that you expected a load of dross just because it was a warm-up. It was a full-blown international match and in the record books.
The standard of our football is falling ( where are we ranked now? ) and it permeates through all levels. I watched nearly 30 games in the Championship last season and thats the poorest standard I have ever seen.
Very worrying!

Agree with this. Let's also not forget that many people actually paid to watch this game as well, they alone deserve a performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here