Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anyone beginning to feel sorry for

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
In their last PL spell 2006 to 2008, many games were a 24,000 sell out. Now this, some stands shut.

If we were skint and rubbish, how far could ours fall?

View attachment 168631

I think in the first couple of seasons in the championship we'd probably still average late 20's. After 5 years probably somewhere around 20-25k.

League one is a different story IMO. If we're winning most games maybe 15-20k, fighting relegation 10-15k absolute max.

Bold statement I know but if we can maintain our position in the top two divisions for a generation I don't see us dropping below 20k average.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Living in Reading as I do, I do feel pretty bad at what is happening to them, their owner isn’t a bad person as such, but he is based in China and because of their government is cutting down on sending money outside of the country, payments are not paid on time and they get points deductions over and over again. the club isn’t being run well at all and he needs to sell up. John Madejski was a bit like TB, local guy done well and invested heavily in his local club and the town, but was hit hard at the financial crash and had to sell, it has been pretty much slowly going down hill since then.

if they don’t get this fella out soon it could be terminal for the club. Their supporters club is setting up a protest march before their game against Portsmouth on Saturday and I will go and join them wearing my Brighton shirt as fans from other clubs did for us in our hour of need.

I am as guilty as anyone at finding the club funny and laughing at the daft pitch invasion and that stupid song, but when I listen to their true fans the devastation, frustration and fear for the future it feels a bit too familiar

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think my sorry was misplaced for Sheffield Wednesday. I've been convinced by this thread of sane responses. They're a bunch of nobs and they'll only go back down to league one where they belong this season. I will continue to chuckle heartily at their plight free in the knowledge it is the correct thing to do. I hope they do a light show when they reach 10 points. In February.

Reading though. Tricky. Similar club to us although much smaller, so perhaps more like Bournemouth.

The thing is, when they had a ground and we didn't, they took advantage of us. Sidwell still stings. Plus Pardew the twat talking like they had been champions that promotion season. No, no, they weren't.

So on balance, I'll enjoy seeing them fall into league 2. Call me if it gets any worse and perhaps I'll feel bad for them then.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Wednesday don’t bother me to be honest. They did for a while in 2016 but that’s it. I used to like them in the 90s and I like their stadium.
Reading on the other hand have always bothered me. I dislike them more than Palace or any other league club. While I wouldn’t want to see any club go out of business, happy to see them struggle on the pitch.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Sheffield Wednesday or Reading?

Both look awful in their respective divisions and are victims of truly shit ownership.

I mean I've been all for laughing at them both as they plunge lower and lower, but at some point it's the proper long suffering fans who suffer more than anyone else isn't it?

I'd happily see them both stay up if it meant Portsmouth stayed down. A trade worth making.
Hell no. Particularly Reading, but you can add Derby to the list too. Hilariously bad, after all that money too. What a shame

el punal

Nope.

The most deluded fans on the planet and the world’s most noddy club, with the exception of MK Dongs.

F**k ‘em.
Any chance of a reenactment of Reading celebrating their 7th position in the Championsnhip? As for Wednesday they must be cursing themselves for stuffing Peterborough in last year’s playoff. Better to have remain unnoticed in the third division . :drink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sheffield Wednesday or Reading?

Both look awful in their respective divisions and are victims of truly shit ownership.

I mean I've been all for laughing at them both as they plunge lower and lower, but at some point it's the proper long suffering fans who suffer more than anyone else isn't it?

I'd happily see them both stay up if it meant Portsmouth stayed down. A trade worth making.
Are you going soft in your old age?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hell no. Particularly Reading, but you can add Derby to the list too. Hilariously bad, after all that money too. What a shame
I must admit, Derby is an excellent shout. I always feel they didn't get the pelters they deserved on here after their gobshite fans goading us over that play off win.

Pleasing to see their next derby will be with either Notts County or Mansfield next season.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Just saw that Wednesday have THREE points from 13 games and laughed heartily. That shows how much sympathy I have for them.

My last time at Reading we lost 5-1 and their fans were signing, "We'll never play you again" on the bus at me. I am also enjoying their struggles...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apart from Wednesday, Reading and now perhaps Derby - which other teams are we enjoying seeing in the doldrums?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had a lovely time at the half a dozen games that I went to at Hillsborough when living in Yorkshire in the early 90s.

I'd like to see them above Leeds ... Only went to Elland Road twice and it was horrible.

So a bit sorry for Wednesday.

Reading I couldn't give a shit about.
I have friends and in laws in South Yorkshire who aren’t anything like those on Owlstalk, and very sympathetic when we spent the weekend there whilst being thrashed by Villa recently. I can have a laugh & a cry with them. The fans aren’t responsible for their mad owner.

Leeds fans are very arrogant bragging to the rest of the county, there’s only one team in Yorkshire. I’d happily watch them sink lower and lower down the leagues.

Reading? Meh.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I must admit, Derby is an excellent shout. I always feel they didn't get the pelters they deserved on here after their gobshite fans goading us over that play off win.

Pleasing to see their next derby will be with either Notts County or Mansfield next season.

And laughing at the injured Albion player, was it Solly?

Scummers.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Apart from Wednesday, Reading and now perhaps Derby - which other teams are we enjoying seeing in the doldrums?
I'm conflicted by QPR. I quite like them as a club but I find Gareth Ainsworth cringeworthy.

Saw them play a pre-season friendly against Slavia Prague this summer over here and was staggered by how bad they were.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Scummers.
They booed Solly as he was stretchered off with a ruptured ACL, and Calde, whilst he was having his forehead cleaned up, covered in blood, and shirt changed. Apparently, we were ‘time wasting’!

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
... since I made a confession in one of my first posts here a couple of weeks ago ... how about QPR? Just a bit curious ...
Edit: Oops, was a minute or two late.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Scummers.
They booed him as he was stretchered off. Revolting fan base, and I am delighted to see them flounder.

Reading? Meh. I can't get worked up about them, and don't wish overly terrible things for them either.

Wednesday? I LOVE seeing them fail. It's a strange thing that Sheffield United are, to me, a particularly likeable club, whilst their city neighbours are thoroughly objectionable. I hope they end up in Non League.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
monty williams GIF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here