Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone been/going skiing this year ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did you snowboard the WC recently used Streif piste on the Hahnenkamm?

We did a few years ago, but punters don’t take it’s shortest route :lolol: In sections as it crosses normal pistes for mere mortals.

For the WC, it’s manmade created as sheet ice.

Good question, twice tried and twice failed. I have only been to Kitz once before, 10 years ago I think. I tried it then and fell towards the end and slid quite a long way on sheet ice on my back head first. I tried again this year and managed the first section immediately at the start (this was quite snowy and mogully and easy to get a grip and get down) then fell and slide down the entire length of the next 45 degree sheet ice bit; at this point I thought **** that and abandoned the run :lolol:

When I say fell, in both cases I was edging myself down very very slowly and lost balance/grip on sheet ice both times. Whilst I kind of finished my first attempt, albeit not always upright, I remember it took me around 20-25 minutes to get down with pauses and edging down step bits....the professionals do it in under 2.

I have some nice pictures from the start though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We're staying in Meribel at the moment. We've just come back from a day in the Courchevel part of the 3 Valleys: conditions were excellent and the runs superb (the beautiful sunshine was nice too). It's busy, but not overcrowded.

Having been unable to ski in the previous season it's great to be on the pistes again.

Courchevel you say? Are you aware you get double points for taking out Russians this year?

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I was in courcheval a couple of weeks ago for a weekend and currently in la plagne with the family.

It is very busy as most of France also on half term, a lot of people have been waiting a long time so it's great to see the resorts busy, apart from the massive queues.

If you are triple vaccinated it is no bother, I think having older children who aren't vaccinated is a hassle but once you are in the resort it is no different from being at home really

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good question, twice tried and twice failed. I have only been to Kitz once before, 10 years ago I think. I tried it then and fell towards the end and slid quite a long way on sheet ice on my back head first. I tried again this year and managed the first section immediately at the start (this was quite snowy and mogully and easy to get a grip and get down) then fell and slide down the entire length of the next 45 degree sheet ice bit; at this point I thought **** that and abandoned the run :lolol:

When I say fell, in both cases I was edging myself down very very slowly and lost balance/grip on sheet ice both times. Whilst I kind of finished my first attempt, albeit not always upright, I remember it took me around 20-25 minutes to get down with pauses and edging down step bits....the professionals do it in under 2.

I have some nice pictures from the start though.

Similar here, very tentative, lots of stopping to weigh up the next section. I can normally ski any pisted slope, but it was literally sheet ice, the entire thing.

At first we couldn’t find the Streif at all, then realised it isn’t a piste as such, instead a near vertical gap in a forest that cuts through the pistes.

Love that town. A former colleague and mate used to stay for a week in January at this place:
https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/schwarzer-adler-kitzbuhel.en-gb.html

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've also been told Austria is very strict re covid.
France seems more relaxed...

Austria enforce the no standing around in bars and restaurants, and a latish curfew.

France was incredibly strict including mandatory, daily morning (official sites) CV19 testing of non-triple jabbed kids, before being allowed on lifts. Not sure if that’s ended now.

Switzerland’s been the least restricted throughout.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Similar here, very tentative, lots of stopping to weigh up the next section. I can normally ski any pisted slope, but it was literally sheet ice, the entire thing.

At first we couldn’t find the Streif at all, then realised it isn’t a piste as such, instead a near vertical gap in a forest that cuts through the pistes.

Love that town. A former colleague and mate used to stay for a week in January at this place:
https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/schwarzer-adler-kitzbuhel.en-gb.html

I have walked past that hotel; it’s on the walk back into town from the lift…..looks very fancy from the outside and from the photos. My place was nearby but a rather more modest guest house.

Yes, the town is lovely. Found a couple of nice beer bars, a wine bar and some good restaurants. The only thing I will change next time is I’ll get the train all the way from Berlin to Kitz. It’s only 6 and a half hours with 1 change although I think it’s longer at the mo due to some maintenance. This time I got a flight to Salzburg and then a train to the resort…this took longer and was far more hassle. I only live 3 tram stops from Berlin Hbf as well, the airport is 13 miles away. Oh, I’ll also eat less Gröstl….every lunch for 6 days was probably excessive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've also been told Austria is very strict re covid.
France seems more relaxed...

Austria is strict, but as long as you have been boosted and have a mask with you it doesn’t impede your enjoyment of the slopes, bars or restaurants imho. Night clubs were shut…but I’m a bit too old for that now.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Where abouts in BC?
Whistler or the interior?

Not sure of exact location but about an hours drive from Kelowna airport ( but not Whistler) . Staying with extended family who have a place over there. Understand slopes are 45 mins from the house which is also lakeside so hope for some kayaking as well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have walked past that hotel; it’s on the walk back into town from the lift…..looks very fancy from the outside and from the photos. My place was nearby but a rather more modest guest house.

Yes, the town is lovely. Found a couple of nice beer bars, a wine bar and some good restaurants. The only thing I will change next time is I’ll get the train all the way from Berlin to Kitz. It’s only 6 and a half hours with 1 change although I think it’s longer at the mo due to some maintenance. This time I got a flight to Salzburg and then a train to the resort…this took longer and was far more hassle. I only live 3 tram stops from Berlin Hbf as well, the airport is 13 miles away. Oh, I’ll also eat less Gröstl….every lunch for 6 days was probably excessive.

A few times (but not the 4 of us, as too expensive), we went by Eurostar from Ashford to Bourg St Maurice. For Val D’Isere/Tignes. Day services so no nightime roughing it with zero sleep just “to get that 7th day’s skiing in”.

Station to station - 6 hours, with negligible security/passport time and no wait for baggage. An incredible service. It took a TGV country route, avoiding that Paris change of stations.

Due to financial problems and Covid, that’s not now running. Another service started, but with sleep deprivation.

I much prefer trains.

The Austrians love their meat, suet and gateaux in a big way :)

Another resort you might like, just an hour from Salzburg, is Schladming. We keep going back. A fairly reasonable taxi transfer firm gets us there promptly to maximise our stay.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Not sure of exact location but about an hours drive from Kelowna airport ( but not Whistler) . Staying with extended family who have a place over there. Understand slopes are 45 mins from the house which is also lakeside so hope for some kayaking as well.

Brilliant! I'm in Kelowna, so you'll likely be headed to Big White.
I've got snowboard gear and a season pass you can borrow/use if you fancy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Courchevel you say? Are you aware you get double points for taking out Russians this year?

Our game was to race up really quickly to the chairlift and jump on, just as they are getting on with their own private ski instructor. You have to be quick to surprise them or they step aside. They really don't like sharing.

Then once onboard, be very loud and VERY English :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our game was to race up really quickly to the chairlift and jump on, just as they are getting on with their own private ski instructor. You have to be quick to surprise them or they step aside. They don't like sharing :wink:

:lolol:

So it’s not just me.

Can be any nationality, with big lift queues, people who think they can hog a 6-seater for their cozy 3. Ignoring instructions from staff. Spreading out with elbows and sticks … what a relaxing ‘holiday’.

Funny to upset their apple cart by squeezing on.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
YES! Off to Bulgaria tomorrow for my first ski holiday for 34 years. Conditions are apparently good, not that that will mean much to me as I flounder around the lower slopes. However my daughters will be carving it up on their snowboards no doubt

Let me know how it is, I'm going on Sunday.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Brilliant! I'm in Kelowna, so you'll likely be headed to Big White.
I've got snowboard gear and a season pass you can borrow/use if you fancy.

Wow, that would be brilliant and incredibly kind of you! :D

I'll drop you a PM shortly once I know more detail later this week. I did try snowboarding about 25 years ago and handed it back after 2 hrs as almost broke both wrists and suffering internal injuries from catching leading edges and face planting so often. It will be 2 skis for me!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Day 2 in Serre Cheavlier, France. Big dump of snow overnight which it needed, although pistes were skiable yesterday. Not been here before but it does feel a bit quiet even though it’s French half term. Our hotel is certainly not full and many chalets are not open because of them being a shared space. Covid restrictions are minor - the odd check of vaccination certs in restaurants.Gatwick was a bit of a nightmare on Saturday - long queues to bag drop. Noticeable that the ski companies (crystal in our case) are running on bare minimum. The reps all look knackered and there are no excursions eg tobogganing and all that kind of thing being mentioned.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did try snowboarding about 25 years ago and handed it back after 2 hrs as almost broke both wrists and suffering internal injuries from catching leading edges and face planting so often.

And there’s the abdominal strains from flipping yourself back up again. To be fair, this is what it’s still like for me near on 30 years later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here