Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone been/going skiing this year ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After the disaster of the last two seasons, has anyone been/going this year ? Has it been busy ? conditions etc ?

(And I guess we'll include those strange people on tea trays :wink:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know two families that are on Ski holidays right now. As a non skier I cannot help with the info you actually want but neither has complained about anything on their texts. One in the US and one in France

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
YES! Off to Bulgaria tomorrow for my first ski holiday for 34 years. Conditions are apparently good, not that that will mean much to me as I flounder around the lower slopes. However my daughters will be carving it up on their snowboards no doubt

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was in Innsbruck last week for a couple of days. Didn't go skiing but went up in the Nordkette Cable Car system as high as it goes. Me and my mate had the cars pretty much to ourselves as, due to major flumpage, skiing was suspended for the day. The wrong kind of snow and WAY too much of it

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I live in Austria, near Kitzbuehel.

As long as you are triple jabbed skiing is more or less back to normal. Mountain restaurants are open. You need to wear a mask on lifts and in a restaurant while not seated. Slopes are busier than last year but not yet back to normal.

Lots of snow here in Austria with good skiing on and off piste.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My daughter was reeling off her various school friends who were off skiing with their families this half term holiday; I was surprised there were so many of them going given covid etc. Seems all pretty much back to normal if you have your full quota of vaccinations.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pretty sure [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] has been recently :thumbsup:

I'd love to go again but Covid has probably left me too fat to get my arse and gut into my salopettes.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I live in Austria, near Kitzbuehel.

As long as you are triple jabbed skiing is more or less back to normal. Mountain restaurants are open. You need to wear a mask on lifts and in a restaurant while not seated. Slopes are busier than last year but not yet back to normal.

Lots of snow here in Austria with good skiing on and off piste.

I'm trying to decide between a nice Spa Hotel in Austria or a catered Chalet in one of the huge resorts in France. Although If the kids bring their boyfriend/girlfriend it may well be Andorra. I'm not made of money :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. Literally got back from Kitzbühel yesterday. Not busy and the conditions last week were superb.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Pretty sure [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] has been recently :thumbsup:

I'd love to go again but Covid has probably left me too fat to get my arse and gut into my salopettes.

I hope to God that they can't stop you skiing on that basis or it may have to be a weekend in Rye :(

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've never skied in my whole life... and unlikely to start now. Besides I have a long sunny vacation in Portslade coming up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Your literally Swedish. They're supposed to strap you into skis at birth there. Or maybe that's Norway, but either way it's unfathomable that you haven't skiied :censored:

In Norway it is pretty much mandatory. Far south in Sweden... not so much. No mountains and little snow. From Lund it is closer to Rome in Italy than to Kiruna in northern Sweden... so I'd prefer going to Rome.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As an aside, I made a special point of tuning in to watch the men’s Giant Slalom from the Winter Olympics earlier as it sounded like quite a spectacle.

Disappointingly, all the competitors appeared to be normal size :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, I made a special point of tuning in to watch the men’s Giant Slalom from the Winter Olympics earlier as it sounded like quite a spectacle.

Disappointingly, all the competitors appeared to be normal size :shrug:

I tuned in to watch the skiing as well, it went downhill very quickly.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Yep, going next month over to Canada (BC) with jnr. Its been a while since donning the ski's and cant wait. He's just come back from Italy so I'll be playing catch-up

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was pondering the best way to get down a slope last week. I saw a guy with a sledge so I asked him. He said he wasn’t sure as he was a tobogganist. No problem, that’s fine, can I have 20 Marlboros and a pouch of Golden Virginia then?

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Was in Innsbruck last week for a couple of days. Didn't go skiing but went up in the Nordkette Cable Car system as high as it goes. Me and my mate had the cars pretty much to ourselves as, due to major flumpage, skiing was suspended for the day. The wrong kind of snow and WAY too much of it

Got back from Val d'Isere two weeks ago. Stunningly good weather, lots of superb snow and hardly anyone around. It was great!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I tuned in to watch the skiing as well, it went downhill very quickly.

You might just be watching the skiing now
But soon you'll end up watching the bobsleigh, snowboarding, luge and skeleton.

It's a slippery slope.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got back from Val d'Isere two weeks ago. Stunningly good weather, lots of superb snow and hardly anyone around. It was great!

Stunningly poor weather, lots of superb snow and hardly anyone around in Innsbruck last Wednesday. It was great!

20220202_111803.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here