Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone been/going skiing this year ?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I was in Andorra two weekends ago on a lads trip, great snow, lovely weather, not busy, £4 a pint on the slopes!!! Fantastic.
I’m taking the family to Austria next Sunday, we used to go most years pre-COVID, had I known Andorra was so cheap I’d be going back there instead and saving a grand or three!!

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I'm off to Chamonix next week for 4 days getting back in time for Villa, or so I hope anyway.

It's gone from test before you go and before you come home, to just test before you go, to now no tests at all. Flying to Geneva so need to get the Swiss travel permit thingy which is just an online job pre travel. Also there is a French Covid app where you upload your Covid pass and then use (apparently) to get on ski lifts and into bars/restaurants.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My daughter was reeling off her various school friends who were off skiing with their families this half term holiday; I was surprised there were so many of them going given covid etc. Seems all pretty much back to normal if you have your full quota of vaccinations.
Don’t need the passenger locator form either according to Boris.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Flying in to Innsbruck week after next and train to Garmisch in Germany. Looking forward to getting back on the slopes.:cheers:

Triple jabbed so no need for a PCR test which is good. Think a passenger locater form required on return however.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Looking forward to skiing again next year after 3 years off. On the face of it it really is one of the worst pandemic activities right up there with cruises. Damp sweaty gondolas shared with 10 other people - ski down - get in another damp sweaty gondola with 10 different people and repeat 20 times a day. Then do it all again the next day, and the next... I guess chair lifts are a bit more pandemic-friendly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pretty sure [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] has been recently :thumbsup:

I'd love to go again but Covid has probably left me too fat to get my arse and gut into my salopettes.

I tore a MCL in a knee exactly three months ago, ice slaking at the Royal Pavilion of all things. A long story, but it's finally healing after a private consultant recommended a better knee brace.

Then two of us caught Covid in mid December in Norway or Finland on a non-skiing holiday, which meant we couldn't travel to Switzerland at New Year. [Fortuitously that meant we got full refunds on everything, as it would've been rubbish stuck in the hotel with the knee injury].

We haven't skied since New Year 2020, the week before your St Christoph trip.

Covid curtailed holidays to Switzerland x 2 and Austria x 2. This is commonplace, I've watched the anguish of skiers on the skiing equivalent of nsc, as Macron et al have played with British travellers over two winters.

I haven't given up hope this winter yet, I love the mountains so much. I get my fix by watching World Cup and Olympic skiing.

If not, we'll maximise next winter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking forward to skiing again next year after 3 years off. On the face of it it really is one of the worst pandemic activities right up there with cruises. Damp sweaty gondolas shared with 10 other people - ski down - get in another damp sweaty gondola with 10 different people and repeat 20 times a day. Then do it all again the next day, and the next... I guess chair lifts are a bit more pandemic-friendly.

I remember there were lots of cases linked to ski resorts at the start of the pandemic. Austria has been open since December but with a Covid protocol in place; it will interesting to see how this winter pans out. So far so good it seems. The authorities are keen to enforce this protocol as well, there was a check on all the punters in a restaurant one evening. I always had my Covid passport checked and scanned as well. Lift operators also were observing, and where necessary, telling people to put masks on. Some punters were telling others to mask up as well.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Weirdly, almost everyone I know who has been skiing this year has come back with Covid. That’s not a huge sample size, but a bit odd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Weirdly, almost everyone I know who has been skiing this year has come back with Covid. That’s not a huge sample size, but a bit odd.

Where did they go?

As an aside, the group I usually go with wanted to hire a chalet; I didn’t feel comfortable with this and insisted on a hotel. They’re still squabbling about when and where to go so I made my own arrangements in the end.

Last edited:

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
Booked for Tignes in March after being in Bansko when the first lockdown came in. Resort shut down while we were on the mountain! Can't wait for get back on the board

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Off to Avoriaz for a week in first week of March. Can’t wait.

Seems like January lacked any real amount of Snow. However about 20 CMs so far this this month.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember there were lots of cases linked to ski resorts at the start of the pandemic. Austria has been open since December but with a Covid protocol in place; it will interesting to see how this winter pans out. So far so good it seems. The authorities are keen to enforce this protocol as well, there was a check on all the punters in a restaurant one evening. I always had my Covid passport checked and scanned as well. Lift operators also were observing, and where necessary, telling people to put masks on. Some punters were telling others to mask up as well.

Just like to add, it was the police, who turned up unannounced, and did the restaurant sweep for Covid passes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I tore a MCL in a knee exactly three months ago, ice slaking at the Royal Pavilion of all things. A long story, but it's finally healing after a private consultant recommended a better knee brace.

Then two of us caught Covid in mid December in Norway or Finland on a non-skiing holiday, which meant we couldn't travel to Switzerland at New Year. [Fortuitously that meant we got full refunds on everything, as it would've been rubbish stuck in the hotel with the knee injury].

We haven't skied since New Year 2020, the week before your St Christoph trip.

Covid curtailed holidays to Switzerland x 2 and Austria x 2. This is commonplace, I've watched the anguish of skiers on the skiing equivalent of nsc, as Macron et al have played with British travellers over two winters.

I haven't given up hope this winter yet, I love the mountains so much. I get my fix by watching World Cup and Olympic skiing.

If not, we'll maximise next winter.

Good luck, mate :thumbsup:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
We're staying in Meribel at the moment. We've just come back from a day in the Courchevel part of the 3 Valleys: conditions were excellent and the runs superb (the beautiful sunshine was nice too). It's busy, but not overcrowded.

Having been unable to ski in the previous season it's great to be on the pistes again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just like to add, it was the police, who turned up unannounced, and did the restaurant sweep for Covid passes.

Did you snowboard the WC recently used Streif piste on the Hahnenkamm?

We did a few years ago, but punters don’t take it’s shortest route :lolol: In sections as it crosses normal pistes for mere mortals.

For the WC, it’s manmade created as sheet ice.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Been out in Austria since December. Masks on lifts and no standing in bars. Otherwise pretty much as normal, apart from the Albion picking up far more points than expected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here