Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone actually get a usable mobile data signal at the AMEX on their mobile?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Are you seriously going to base your next provider on somewhere you spend a couple of hours, 23-26 times a year.

No, but seeing as nowadays whomever you go with is going to be pretty similar for coverage 99% of the time something like this could swing it. Vodafone for me has generally been crap in crowds (i.e football, brighton marathon etc)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
O2 works up until the stadium starts filling up - and stops working at about 2.30 and then i cant get a signal until im on the train at Lewes. Cant even make calls/texts so it isnt just the internet that doesnt work.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Always have good signal in the northstand with orange. However 3G is incredibly slow, if it works at all. iMessage texts don't come though till I'm well clear of the stadium.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Text messages work fine on Vodafone - club alerts come through immediately. Internet connection is patchy though but I find if I start the Fotmob results app early and leave it running, it does update, even if it can be a bit delayed.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
O2 works up until the stadium starts filling up - and stops working at about 2.30 and then i cant get a signal until im on the train at Lewes. Cant even make calls/texts so it isnt just the internet that doesnt work.

This. I'm on GiffGaff (use the 02 signal) and the ONLY place I ever have trouble with it is at the Amex. Saying that, during the Birmingham game my brother next to me got f*** all out of his Orange signal. We spent 25 minutes trying to get a message to our wives to make sure there was plenty of beers and wine waiting for us upon our return.

On the subject of Amex Wi-Fi, If the club did indeed set up a system where you could pay £1-£2 to be hooked up to it for a few hours then I for one would be paying the club £1-£2 each match day. Various reasons, online betting (I do like a punt) making sure that my wife is aware of my need for beer and wine upon my return etc etc

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
O2 IPhone and never any 3G in the North. Can sometimes get texts in and out but not always.

That being said my mates iPhones seem to work, but dunno what network they are on.

seagull1981

Blue & White Forever
Aug 8, 2010
Would be great but I'm struggling to think why they should.

Possibly a say £1 P/M added to a Season Ticket, agree there's no reason for them to give it away free so possibly this could work. They give you a password for a certain WiFi signal and they may even make profit out of the amount of people who get it...

seagull1981

Blue & White Forever
Aug 8, 2010
Oh and Tesco-Mobile works fine in every part of the ground for me

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
The club really should offer free WiFi throughout the Amex. Maybe time to 'Ask The Club' again?

This would have to be a pretty hefty signal to take a potential 20,000 people connecting.

I'm on o2 with iPhone4 and never have any issues with text messages and usually get my Eurosport notifications come through just fine on data with goal updates.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Looking round, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people poncing about with their phones DURING the game. Some seem to spend more time looking up other results, texting, tweeting, or updating their Facebook than watching the match.

However did they cope before the world of the mobile interbob.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Possibly a say £1 P/M added to a Season Ticket, agree there's no reason for them to give it away free so possibly this could work. They give you a password for a certain WiFi signal and they may even make profit out of the amount of people who get it...

The IT infrastructure required would probably cost more than £1 per month for the number which would be interested, and then one person would subscribe, and give the password to all his mates. It's not quite like the Starbucks situation where their shops have a dozen or so users at the most.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
The IT infrastructure required would probably cost more than £1 per month for the number which would be interested, and then one person would subscribe, and give the password to all his mates. It's not quite like the Starbucks situation where their shops have a dozen or so users at the most.

Surely you'd only permit unique passwords to prevent this. It's common practice with subscription WiFi and most hotels employ this policy (which pisses me off when I want to connect my iPhone and iPad to the WiFi.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
On 3 I've never found an issue sending/receiving texts, but the 3g grinds to a halt most of the match as so many people are trying to access it at once.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Surely you'd only permit unique passwords to prevent this. It's common practice with subscription WiFi and most hotels employ this policy (which pisses me off when I want to connect my iPhone and iPad to the WiFi.

Which is why I mentioned the Starbucks model, where you are given a slip of paper with a one-off password. The organisation of the passwords, printing them, distribution, refunding 'failures' etc., would be time (therefore cash) consuming - all for a couple of hours of usage every other week.

If this was to be considered, the project would be outsourced - and the companies who would tender would be those who install similar systems in hotels etc., resulting in you - and me - getting pissed off with the Amex WiFi subscription policy.

as soon as I get a signal I'm turning thne fuckin thing off, 90 minutes free from 'er indoors and her moaning or numerous other pointless texts about shite, NB for the benefit of our younger viewers we didn't have WiFi at The Goldstone and we all seemed to make it through to the end of the match! (one of my favourite pre mobile phone stories, is the one about the regular contributor on here that went to an away match at Newcastle in79 despite the fact his wife was gonna give birth at any moment, they might not have even had a land line, we didn't!)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Make it about £10 per month (and then that would be subsidised by the club) and it might be worth the club looking into....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here