Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Any Porsche Drivers on here?

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I don't tend to get Porsche drivers, however I do get people that whack a Porsche engine in a ordinary car. I have a good friend who had a Porsche engine in a VW Beetle, that surprised a few, I can tell you!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If I owned a Porsche I wouldn't be posting on here.................

I'd be employing someone to do it for me!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't tend to get Porsche drivers, however I do get people that whack a Porsche engine in a ordinary car. I have a good friend who had a Porsche engine in a VW Beetle, that surprised a few, I can tell you!
Conversely some Porsches had VW engines athough this was some time ago

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
Q: At which club am I parked in the away end in this pic?

A: Bolton Wanderers, Reebok Stadium. If I'm in that part of the world I aim to stay at White's hotel which is built into the stadium (restaurant overlooks the pitch)

awayend.jpg

Edited to add: bought new 18 years ago after sale of software startup company

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In other news, genuine question, why does anyone LEASE a car? I can't see one positive argument for it other than you get something new every couple of years.

It feels like the equivalent of renting a house instead of buying because you like the idea of moving every couple of years.

That's not meant in a snobby way. I'm happy to be educated.
It depends - if you’re smart you can get some very good deals. I’m 10 years in, never had to pay for an MOT, had a motor covered by warranty (one piece of work saved me £7k) , don’t usually need a service.

Many new models of car can be heavily subsidised on PCH to drive the second hand market down the line.

I’ve had £60k-£80k cars for something like £4k a year - which when I get a substantial car allowance through work (yes it is taxed) I can usually make it fairly neutral

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
You may jest but one of the dads at my boys school used to do the school run in a garish metallic purple Lamborghini Urus. The story below then broke which begged the question if you are up to shenanigans best to not look too conspicuous :ffsparr:

I've known Paul in passing since he was a teenager. He's actually a nice bloke (not nasty, violent etc) and has had a pretty rough time in his personal life over the last few years. When I asked him what he was doing so well at he said "property" and I didn't take it any further. I was pleased for him!

Then I saw him in the newspapers. ???

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I've known Paul in passing since he was a teenager. He's actually a nice bloke (not nasty, violent etc) and has had a pretty rough time in his personal life over the last few years. When I asked him what he was doing so well at he said "property" and I didn't take it any further. I was pleased for him!

Then I saw him in the newspapers. ???
His main business is Rhino Removals or at least so it appeared. It's all rather sad as I'm aware of the personal stuff.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Not quite at the same level but those stories remind me of the tale of the Harlem heroin dealer in the 70s. He was said to be making a million dollars a day and somehow wasn't on the police's radar until he decide to sit ringside at an Ali fight wearing a 100k chinchilla coat.
Huggie Bear?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
His main business is Rhino Removals or at least so it appeared. It's all rather sad as I'm aware of the personal stuff.
Is there much call for the removal of rhinos in the UK?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Am I right in thinking Porsche engines in some of their model's are in the boot so to speak?
I think they are in the rear of most.

To answer your question a US guy I know over here owns a Porsche. He made a lot of money with stock he acquired whilst working for a tech startup and bought a second hand 911. I think it was about 10 years old but immaculate condition. He took me for lunch in it one weekend in Potsdam, a town outside of Berlin.

I’m not into cars and know very little about them; I have only owned/needed a car for 2 years of my life but I’d certainly be happy to own a Porsche

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Am I right in thinking Porsche engines in some of their model's are in the boot so to speak?
911 are rear engine, as are older 356. the Boxster and similar since mid-90s are mid engine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here