Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any of you coming home from holiday via Calais-Be Vigilant

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I haven't said its made up twaddle. I know the BBC reporting is inaccurate (very different to made up twaddle) as I was in that place last year, when the ferry workers were on strike. I even had text messages from friends warning me to contact the British consulate, as it was so bad. There was nothing, not a single disturbance and yet, three hours later, back home, I was watching Breakfast tv, telling the UK, that Calais was in uproar.

Yes i remember you posting this last year,i pointed out to you at the time i was over there a few hours after you,you were lucky and got through with nothing to see,by the time i was there it was chaos,seekers were fighting with old bill on the up ramp and i nearly killed a guy as he darted out between a lorry.....it was mad as hell. It really happened,i know you missed it and didnt see it but take my word....it was a crazy riot experience

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It was, but the BBC definitely showed footage of that, saying it was immigrants. Misleading.

Yes, we also went the other way into Belgium, which was equally as quiet. Strangely that was the morning after the Paris attacks.

Maybe we've just been very lucky.

To be fair, I've always been dubious about the BBC's reporting (and by extension, all other news) since the floods in 2000. They reported from Uckfield saying the rain was still teaming down and people were worried that the situation was going to get worse, when actually it had stopped hours before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Propaganda.

Quite. There seems to be quite a lot of holes appearing in this story. A few elements don't quite add up.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't blame these poor refugees wanting to come to our great Island for various reasons, however anyone carrying out violence or vandalism towards property or pepole should be arrested by the French authorities and delt with maybe even deported.
I am worried about the children who are in these camps.

873d06611bde94d84f6df5751bc58da4.jpg

D

Deleted member 22389

I don't blame these poor refugees wanting to come to our great Island for various reasons, however anyone carrying out violence or vandalism towards property or pepole should be arrested by the French authorities and delt with maybe even deported.
I am worried about the children who are in these camps.

It's not about poor refugees for me, it's about who is 100% genuine, and who is using the crisis as an excuse not to have to go through the proper channels to reside in countries legally. The ones trying to get a cheap ride to the EU and the UK should be sent back home.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The annual scaremongering. Yes, even the BBC. Stay indoors everyone, lock the doors, the people traffickers are gonna get you!

Be vigilant, be careful but don't be afraid.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes i remember you posting this last year,i pointed out to you at the time i was over there a few hours after you,you were lucky and got through with nothing to see,by the time i was there it was chaos,seekers were fighting with old bill on the up ramp and i nearly killed a guy as he darted out between a lorry.....it was mad as hell. It really happened,i know you missed it and didnt see it but take my word....it was a crazy riot experience

A crazy riot experience.

One of my favourite ever lines on here.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I've been twice since then. This year we went through the the tunnel at 3.30 to France.
Ive watched the footage several times on tv, this morning & it's a single carriage road, being shown. The motorways around Calais are 3 lanes.
I'm not saying it isn't happening, I'm saying the reports aren't accurate.

So what's your alternate hypothesis?

That you are familiar with all the trunk roads in the vicinity of Calais, perhaps for 20 miles or so, and that since you cannot identify this particular road, the BBC must have staged it?

I find this very implausible.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I haven't used the Ferry at Calais or the tunnel in summer for the last 2 years. Newhaven -Dieppe is the way I go now, nice kip in a cabin, 10minutes from my house, champion. The rest of the year I'll use the tunnel. There's just too much crap with both Dover-Calais ferry and Folkstone-Coquelles in the summer, if you don't have trouble on the French side, it's delays on the UK side. After the school holidays it's as smooth as anything! Which cannot be said of the Newhaven-Dieppe route in winter!!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Having watched the video a few times I'd say there is something odd or kind of staged about the video. But I do believe the video to be genuine, but the BBC 'crew' probably knew it was going to happen and at what time, and filmed it. If they did, and we will most likely never know, it throws up questions of journalistic ethics.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So what's your alternate hypothesis?

That you are familiar with all the trunk roads in the vicinity of Calais, perhaps for 20 miles or so, and that since you cannot identify this particular road, the BBC must have staged it?

I find this very implausible.

I didn't say it had been staged. Read my posts again. I'm saying the BBC are exaggerating the problems.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They are just playing to easily scared people's fears to make news stories.
Yep be careful, it can and does happen but according to some on here it rife. It's not.

It just plugs into what some choose to believe about asylum seekers and their own prejudices.
Reds under the bed n all that.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The Birdman;7566949 I am worried about the children who are in these camps.[/QUOTE said:
So i suspect is everyone

But lets talk reality,when the BBC shows footage of a vulnerable little 5 year old girl on her own in the mud at the jungle and then cuts to a MP saying we must open the borders we are inhuman if we dont, it makes me question the narrative.

The jungle is awash with French police,aid agencies and charities.....why the frack if its true would they all ignore this little girl and let her live a life on her own when they know she exists.It makes no humanitarian sense but plays well for the camera.

What about all the young people who have been at the jungle for years trying to gain illegal entry to the UK saying they have family in the UK

There is a mechanism where they can claim asylum in france and have the UK authorities process the application if they have family in the UK.Its established under EU law......why dont these young boys try this avenue which would take months but prefer the illegal route in a lorry? Because their family is already here working and living illegaly and cant be used as a reference.

Have a look at the eurostat figures and age testing reveals many so called children are not children at all up to 17.

We are being played for mugs

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I haven't said its made up twaddle. I know the BBC reporting is inaccurate (very different to made up twaddle) as I was in that place last year, when the ferry workers were on strike. I even had text messages from friends warning me to contact the British consulate, as it was so bad. There was nothing, not a single disturbance and yet, three hours later, back home, I was watching Breakfast tv, telling the UK, that Calais was in uproar.

Earlier this year, it was reported that the strikes, especially the fuel strikes, we're going to affect all holidaymakers, there were massive queues at all petrol stations. We have friends over there, so contacted them to ask for the real update. Apart from limiting cars to 20€ at the time, there wasn't a problem. And so it turned out. We didn't see a thing driving to the Vendee, didn't queue once for fuel, and weren't limited to the amount.

I'm saying the news is being exaggerated, not that it isn't happening.

See no evil.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They are just playing to easily scared people's fears to make news stories.
Yep be careful, it can and does happen but according to some on here it rife. It's not.

It just plugs into what some choose to believe about asylum seekers and their own prejudices.
Reds under the bed n all that.

And the hat trick! Speak no evil.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
dear lord another one
what doesnt add up?

Please read the previous posts. I'm going to pop the new Thee Oh Sees long player on and relax.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here