Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any chance that the Amex stadium can increase its capacity in the near future ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No way should we be looking to increase the capacity any more. These good times (and they are the good times, despite what a load of moaning idiots think) wont last forever. There are so many clubs you can look to for examples of what often happens- Middlesbrough, Leeds, Sheffield Weds etc. I have no doubt that we will be in the Premier League at some point relatively soon, but we won't stay there forever, and when we come back down, does anyone really think we will be getting 30K attendances? Not a chance. My guess would be we'd be looking at 15000-18000, which would be miserable in a 35K stadium. The Amex is finished and it looks superb, we should not be even considering changing it for another ten years at least, if it is even a possibility.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
15-18,000? Can't see that to be honest.

Maybe for a Capital One Cup match vs Accrington Stanley, at 28 quid a ticket, on Valentines Day, in a blizzard, with a rail strike on. Maybe.

No, I believe those days are well behind us.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He's not getting stick from me. The increased capacity started on Sunday, and it sold out.
Indeed. But it hasn't sold out at the higher level 'dozens of times' has it? It will be interesting to see how many more times it sells out between now and the end of the season. My own view is that if we're in with a shout of the play-offs then yes it will and spare tickets will be like hens' teeth. A few defeats and I'll be getting the usual texts and emails about 'how there are still tickets left for ....'

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Maybe for a Capital One Cup match vs Accrington Stanley, at 28 quid a ticket, on Valentines Day, in a blizzard, with a rail strike on. Maybe.

I really hope you're right. I used to think that when I was jammed in the North Stand with the big crowds of the 1970s. If you'd told me the day we beat Charlton 2-0 in a 2nd Division (Championship) game with a crowd of 30,000 that two years later we'd be getting 1st Division (premiership) crowds of less than half that for the visits of Norwich and Birmingham ..... Well I'd have been disappointed to say the least and I wouldn't have really believed you. Perhaps things have changed, I'm not 100% convinced though but time will tell.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I can not understand all the stick the OP has recieved for asking a hypothetical question! And why some people on this tread see the need to promote there 'super fan' credentials?

LE19

I can not understand all the stick the OP has recieved for asking a hypothetical question! And why some people on this tread see the need to promote there 'super fan' credentials?

Me neither. It's an old question, but doesn't deserve aggressive responses. Not having already read about the issue on NSC doesn't make him a JCL or a prat. JCLs (old and new) are welcome.

Oh, and I clocked up 44 years this January, so there.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Ok then that will work......

I shall cast aside about 35 years of supporting the Albion, going to the Goldstone, Marches against Archer after the Wigan and Fulham games, Priestfield, Withdean, countless away games including wembley.......

You can fill your not quite big enough stadium with happy, chappy, jolly, JCLs, and the stadium will never be empty and be full every week and you will live happily ever after......

Good luck with that.

Very funny.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's like pulling teeth. The increased capacity started with the Palace game, so no it hasn't sold out dozens of times since. Jeez.
Then why did you say it had FACT. No don't bother answering that, as you say it's like pulling teeth we've probably mis-understood each other and I'm sure we've both got better things to do.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You could say that is the usual dross spewed out by those desperate to let people know what a good fan they are, post JCL accusations.

Not sure why you are getting so worked up over a simple question regarding the Amex capacity, it's hardly ruining your life is it?

Point taken Mr Londonblue and its not ruining my life, I got pissed off with being told to go and support Portsmouth, even I would never tell another albion fan to piss off and support another team, I have nothing against dangull just getting fed up with people thinking we have made it, let's see shall we have half these fans seen the days when we would get 14000 for Palace and 7000s for average run of the mill championship teams ? I think some people need to wake up, we will not fill the amex week in week out for ever.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Me neither. It's an old question, but doesn't deserve aggressive responses. Not having already read about the issue on NSC doesn't make him a JCL or a prat. JCLs (old and new) are welcome.

Oh, and I clocked up 44 years this January, so there.
Thanks for those kind words LE19 AND 5MINS. Psychobilly peace, lets agree to disagree. I respect your point of view. For the record i used to watch the Albion since the Goldstone days, but am new to the NSC site.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Hull are a good benchmark for attendances I believe.

Poor crowds for decades but good core like us , New stadium followed by 23k for several seasons , reached prem for couple seasons. Now averaging about 17k now feel good factor has evened out.

Similar sized club as well

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Hull are a good benchmark for attendances I believe.

Poor crowds for decades but good core like us , New stadium followed by 23k for several seasons , reached prem for couple seasons. Now averaging about 17k now feel good factor has evened out.

Similar sized club as well

Only the 'sons' in Hull have known the top flight or anywhere near it whereas with us 'fathers' have been there in 20k + levels so we may have an extra generation to maintain a much higher level (23k STs by next week may support this)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Only the 'sons' in Hull have known the top flight or anywhere near it whereas with us 'fathers' have been there in 20k + levels so we may have an extra generation to maintain a much higher level (23k STs by next week may support this)

7 years in the 50's Hull averaged 20k + gates. 2 seasons they averaged over 36k + , couple seasons in the 60's over 20k

Pretty similar as I said. Could argue bigger

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here