Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any chance that the Amex stadium can increase its capacity in the near future ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Structural 'expert' NSCers have dampened any talk of it EVER exceeding 30,750, saying all 4 roofs rely on the giants arches/trusses, anchored at either end in massive concrete structures.

The massive catchment, all to ourselves, has all the potential to give vast gates.

The lower crowds of the wilderness years of 1983 to 2011, were caused by successive useless or skins Boards, failing to capitalise on the massive support from the 1970's plus.

If this momentum carries on, I'm sure something could be done one day to squeeze out more capacity.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The population of Brighton and Sussex increases year on year.

Clearly the demand will increase alongside this.

When we start to sell out 30K most weeks, then there is a big case for expansion, and there will be structural solutions, of varying cost.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Right don't want to be captain comedown but shouldn't we consistently will the new seats before thinking of expansion?

That said what's stopping East stand having the corners filled like the West stand?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The population of Brighton and Sussex increases year on year.

Clearly the demand will increase alongside this.

When we start to sell out 30K most weeks, then there is a big case for expansion, and there will be structural solutions, of varying cost.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Many fans will be fickle. We're on an upswing at the moment - an average year or two in the Championship or a year of being pummeled in the prem would soon see attendances consistently nearer £20k than £30k - as others have said - look at the history books.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
No, we'd sell out every match in the Premiership like Reading, Swansea, QPR & Southampton do, it's the biggest league in the world. However it is vital that we set the club up as a championship club seeing as we're likely to be spending a lot of time there in the next 50 years. 30750 is plenty big enough for the Championship. If we were to put in a few more thousand more seats, our stadium may start to look half full like Blackburn, M'boro, Bolton, Birmingham & Smellhurst (1/4 full) etc.

Reading don't sell out.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Ok serious question. IF we needed to, this talk of the north stand offices being moved to the training ground, COULD a new tier go in their place without structural change?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Many fans will be fickle. We're on an upswing at the moment - an average year or two in the Championship or a year of being pummeled in the prem would soon see attendances consistently nearer £20k than £30k - as others have said - look at the history books.
Yes, but the underlying trend is upwards.

If we run at say 5% of the population of Brighton as attendance - for the sake of this argument - during bad times, then 5% of 270,000, is less than 5% of 300,000, and then later 5% of 330,000.

So you can see the trend.

Maximum capacity now will, in relative terms, decrease over time as a %age of rising population.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Reading don't sell out.

My apologies Red. Their average this season is 23,925 in a 24,161 capacity stadium which is 99% full, not the 100% I implied.

Incidentally, seeing as you have a sound knowledge on football stadium attendances, what Championship club only manages to fill 63% of their stadium capacity on average at home this season?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Our new capacity isn't far off White Hart Lane. It's enough.

Jan 30, 2008
Great to see the Amex record attendance and sell out against Palace Sunday. If Brighton do go up maybe this season or next, what chance do people think that the capacity can be increased and if there will be a demand for extra seats ? I see Southampton can get about 32-33,000 in their stadium in the Premiership. It would be great if there was some way the Amex could get similar if not more if the demand was there. That way Brighton maybe considered the "biggest club" on the south coast.
JCL :facepalm:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here