Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any chance that the Amex stadium can increase its capacity in the near future ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Oh for fecks sake, lets have a good solid five years with the wax and wane of fickle fans first shall we.

How long did it take to get this feckin stadium and people are moaning or wondering if we can make it bigger, we havent even sold it out yet for fecks sake.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh for fecks sake, lets have a good solid five years with the wax and wane of fickle fans first shall we.

How long did it take to get this feckin stadium and people are moaning or wondering if we can make it bigger, we havent even sold it out yet for fecks sake.

I dot think that anybody is realistically saying we should try to increase the capacity just a topic of conversation or question of can we if needed.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I dot think that anybody is realistically saying we should try to increase the capacity just a topic of conversation or question of can we if needed.
Exactly. Not sure why Psycho is so agitated by this topic.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Mr BensGrandad I kinda respect your comment however I feel Dangull or whatever his name is has asked a stupid question which makes us Albion fans look arrogant and ungrateful which I would expect from a JCL or a prat.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Look guys, all new stadia are now designed to be expanded from their original bowl . When the Amex first opened the top potential Capacity was given at 35k.

There is an awful lot of space and its relatively inexpensive to move offices and build as in the south and therefore seats could be put in in alot of places. I think an extra 7k at every game would be worth the extra cost. Then there's safe standing which will come in the next 5-10yrs. So Amex could easily have crowds in the mid 30's

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Mr BensGrandad I kinda respect your comment however I feel Dangull or whatever his name is has asked a stupid question which makes us Albion fans look arrogant and ungrateful which I would expect from a JCL or a prat.

Its great you seem to be a hardcore Albion fan. However i dont mind lots of JCL making up the numbers as well. More people in the ground, means more finances, and probably more success. You may prefer lower crowds and lower league football but fantastic fans, each to their own though. I like to see the club go forward as far as it can.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Its great you seem to be a hardcore Albion fan. However i dont mind lots of JCL making up the numbers as well. More people in the ground, means more finances, and probably more success. You may prefer lower crowds and lower league football but fantastic fans, each to their own though. I like to see the club go forward as far as it can.

After reading your reply, I will wish you all the best in your exams this year and suggest you study instead of wasting your time on NSC.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
White Hat Lane is 36,240 an increase of 20% of our capacity, and is too small that is why they have applied for planning permission to extend it to nearer 60,000

I'm aware of that. They want to compete with the Arsenals and Chelseas financially but, even so, they done alright with that ground.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Why dont you support Portsmouth.

Ok then that will work......

I shall cast aside about 35 years of supporting the Albion, going to the Goldstone, Marches against Archer after the Wigan and Fulham games, Priestfield, Withdean, countless away games including wembley.......

You can fill your not quite big enough stadium with happy, chappy, jolly, JCLs, and the stadium will never be empty and be full every week and you will live happily ever after......

Good luck with that.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Does it? I mean, more than nominally?

Where are these people moving to / living?

The population of Sussex is certainly growing. Drive around Sussex and you will see housing estates going up all over the place, and lots more planned. 2,500 houses going up west of Crawley, 1,500 at Broadbridge Heath near Horsham, plans for lots between Burguess Hill and Haywards Heath.

People who can are leaving South East London and moving out.

It's a bit like the mass exodus of East London to Essex a few years ago. Anyone who could afford to leave left.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Has anybody realised that the palace game was not actually sold out.I think we all accept that having a capacity of 30750 means that we will never reach that figure given segregation issues.I do believe though that 29500 can be achieved which is 1000 more than saw the palace game.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Has anybody realised that the palace game was not actually sold out.I think we all accept that having a capacity of 30750 means that we will never reach that figure given segregation issues.I do believe though that 29500 can be achieved which is 1000 more than saw the palace game.

capacity for the rest of this season and the palace game is limited to 28500

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
I'm still highly dubious of the attendance figured announced (e.g. 28,499/28,500), did we really have 1 unsold/empty seat in the stadium?

With regards to enlarging the ground (I know the OP was taking theoretically), we can't really be compared to the likes of spurs at the moment, a friend's is on Spur's ST waiting list and is somethink like 14,000th in the queue.... Realistically, I don't think the club would seriously entertain any form of enlargement until the waiting list grew to a similar(ish) size

Helter Skelter

Nov 1, 2012
Southwick
I don't think there is room for a second tier on the North. Might be room for a few more rows at the back, but that would mean taking out the offices and the screen would have to be smaller for a start.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Exactly. Whilst the points about the ever-increasing population and the popularity of the Premiership compared to the old 1st division of the 1980s are valid, let's not run before we can walk as one of the great constants in football is the fickleness of the fans. Last time we were in the 'Prem' our average fell from just under 25,000 in the first season to just over 14,500 in the last (only four years later) simply because people didn't want to watch a struggling team. Fans quickly develop a sense of entitlement and as I've said before the mood VERY soon changes from "Woo hoo we're in the Prem!" to "We should be beating teams like Villa." When we can consistently, season after season, sell out a 30,000 capacity stadium as a struggling Prem team or a mid-table Championship team then we can talk about expansion. For now it's as relevant as discussing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I declare that this is in fact an 'auto-bounce' thread that repeats itself every 3 months until finally someone replies that yes, the capacity can be increased. (Despite the fat that it can't)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I shall cast aside about 35 years of supporting the Albion, going to the Goldstone, Marches against Archer after the Wigan and Fulham games, Priestfield, Withdean, countless away games including wembley.......

You could say that is the usual dross spewed out by those desperate to let people know what a good fan they are, post JCL accusations.

Not sure why you are getting so worked up over a simple question regarding the Amex capacity, it's hardly ruining your life is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here