Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anthony Taylor

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
by the time Dunky was rightly (but harshly) sent off, Taylor was handing out yellow cards like they were trick or treat sweets at Halloween.

There were two yellow cards given by Taylor by the time 'Dunky' was sent off.

He didn't lose control. the players did.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You missed out 'we learn from this'. LD doesn't . . . . Which (long ball over the top aside) has always been an issue With him. As brilliant as he's been over the years . . . JPVH appears to be the ideal succession/replacement with a better, shall we say, 'mentality'
How many times has he been sent off for dissent in the last 10 years? Once or, maybe, twice? It's really not an issue with him.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

I didn’t say all the yellow cards were handed out before Dunk was show the red - Dunky and Ferguson both got cards - Dunk 2 in quick succession resulting in the red - and Ferguson for not getting out the box literally a minute later - so Notts could take the penalty - It’s up to the ref to control the game - if players have lost control it is because the ref lost control of the game with his inconsistency in applying the rules earlier, the players and the fans got frustrated because of that - as I and many others have said.

We will have to beg to differ though - you thought the ref was fine, many of us, including 2 PL managers didn’t . 👍

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It’s up to the ref to control the game - if players have lost control it is because the ref lost control
I hate that phrase when we are talking about adults. It's so pathetic

"I can't be expected to control my own behaviour..I'm only 27"

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Are you stating there were 2 yellow cards given before the penalty incident occurred, or two yellows during the decision directly before.
If the latter, I don't think so.
Ferguson was booked shortly after Dunk had been dismissed, and so was a Forest player.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It’s up to the ref to control the game - if players have lost control it is because the ref lost control of the game with his inconsistency in applying the rules, the players and the fans got frustrated because of that - as I and many others have said.

We will have to beg to differ. 👍

It's up to the referee to apply the rules of the game, which he did.

On your basis the riots in Dublin are the fault of the police because the rioters don't have to accept responsibility for their behaviour as the police are there to 'control the streets'

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

On your basis the riots in Dublin are the fault of the police because the rioters don't have to accept responsibility for their behaviour as the police are there to 'control the streets'
Whataboutery?

Really?

Time to quit the argument if that's the best you've got.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Any evidence of that?
There is no evidence in the public domain but the Tottenham v Brighton match last season was the point where I decided it cannot simply be incompetence There must be an outside influence at play and spot-fixingthe Asian betting markets is an obvious possibility. Its been done in snooker, cricket, tennis,, Italian football and Spanish football, all proven. Why would the biggest football betting market in the world be immune?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There is no evidence in the public domain but the Tottenham v Brighton match last season was the point where I decided it cannot simply be incompetence There must be an outside influence at play and spot-fixingthe Asian betting markets is an obvious possibility. Its been done in snooker, cricket, tennis,, Italian football and Spanish football, all proven. Why would the biggest football betting market in the world be immune?
The thing that worries me is that refs (although not badly paid compared to Mr/Mrs Average) are very poorly paid compared to the players and managers they interact with. You surely need some sort of ego in order to be a ref, and therefore they MUST be making that comparison on a regular basis. The almost total lack of transparency around the reasons WHY refs make their big calls only adds to the concerns. Refs should - at the very least - need to explain publicly why they made the key decisions. And that match at Spurs was almost unbelievable in terms of the number of awful decisions.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

As a someone who played Rugby rather than footy I tended to be much more sympathetic to refs than many other fans. However, we have in 10 years gone from having the best refs in Europe to the worse. We now have players and managers who openly criticise refs and seem ok with the punishments dished out by FA etc. it’s clear that the players and managers trust of refs has broken down, they simply don’t have abny respect for them. Cooper threw Taylor under the bus during his MOTD interview and was very matter of fact about it. Week in, week out the performances of refs haven’t been good enough whether on the pitch or through VAR. personally I don’t think players or managers behaviours has got worse over the last 10 years so as much as it would be easy to blame them we can’t.

The only way this is going to be fixed is for FA, PGMOL, PL, EFL and Clubs sit down and come up with a long-term approach to training of professional referees and until then this done the situation isn’t going to improve. However, until PGMOL accept they have a problem they can’t move forward. For me PGMOL are too much of an old boys club.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
So far in this thread we’ve had referees being bribed by far-east gamblers, a referee who favours northern clubs because his Aunty is a season ticket holder at Accrington Stanley, and a referee following a player closely in order to incite him to spit expletives. I personally prefer the notion of Hamas tunnellers under the pitch transmitting thought-waves through the grass.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There is no evidence in the public domain but the Tottenham v Brighton match last season was the point where I decided it cannot simply be incompetence There must be an outside influence at play and spot-fixingthe Asian betting markets is an obvious possibility. It’s been done in snooker, cricket, tennis,, Italian football and Spanish football, all proven. Why would the biggest football betting market in the world be immune?
In the two games Spurs and Palace both winning outcomes would have either put us in or within spitting distance of the top four which simply wasn’t acceptable to how they want the PL to play out. Both had horrific obvious errors from VAR and the on field ref.
If we spark back to life in the new year when players come back from injury and we look like breaking the top four again it will be interesting to see how horrific the officiating will become.
A week off isn't anywhere near a punishment. Relegated back to the lower leagues for the rest of the season would be.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
So far in this thread we’ve had referees being bribed by far-east gamblers, a referee who favours northern clubs because his Aunty is a season ticket holder at Accrington Stanley, and a referee following a player closely in order to incite him to spit expletives. I personally prefer the notion of Hamas tunnellers under the pitch transmitting thought-waves through the grass.
Now you're just being silly!! or ARE you? :)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Why are you angling for an argument with me??

Both PL managers have criticised the ref for inconsistency and say the ref ‘lost control’ of the game as have most posters on here and wtf has anything got to do with the riots in Ireland - I’m talking about a football match.

And the riots analogy - it doesn’t work- the police and government get blamed for failing to keep law and order because it is their job.

As I said, lets just beg to differ. You have your views, I have mine and said several times why I have them - sorry if thats not good enough for you 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I didn’t say all the yellow cards were handed out before Dunk was show the red - Dunky and Ferguson both got cards - Dunk 2 in quick succession resulting in the red - and Ferguson for not getting out the box literally a minute later - so Notts could take the penalty - It’s up to the ref to control the game - if players have lost control it is because the ref lost control of the game with his inconsistency in applying the rules earlier, the players and the fans got frustrated because of that - as I and many others have said.

We will have to beg to differ though - you thought the ref was fine, many of us, including 2 PL managers didn’t . 👍
That’s ridiculous, regardless of circumstances a player can’t go round throwing personal insults at referees. Was a moment of weak leadership from Dunk given our defensive injuries

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here