Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anthony Taylor

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Our penalty was clear as day, theirs was not. Dunk should have conducted himself better. Taylor lost control of the game for the final third he was poor.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Let's not forget there could have also been the scenario where the ball was back in play after their "penalty" appeal and we promptly score before this VAR intervention.
We find ourselves down their end of the pitch from the GK and Jack Hinshelwood has a wonderful chance to score.

He elects to square it rather than opening his body up to shoot with his right foot but a decent chance and one we could have scored from.

Only once the ball is out of play following the miss do VAR call that back to the much earlier phase of play. We could have scored, which I'm sure would have changed the VAR thought process as they lost control of the game. They would have had to chalk our goal off to bring it back to the penalty award. I think Dunk and the players were remonstrating around this situation too.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
IMG_1847.jpeg

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He had a good game. Our penalty was a fair one as the defender has his arms around Pedro’s waist. Their penalty he initially rejected, it was VAR that persuaded him to change his mind.

Dunk’s red card was down to the player. He’s a senior pro, the captain, and leadership means knowing when to avoid verbal abuse regardless of how pissed off you are.

Perhaps could have given another yellow to Forest but Pedro can be a bit theatrical at times when he is rolling around.

Other than that he let the game flow.

People don’t want good referees, they want ones who are biased towards their team.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
People don’t want good referees, they want ones who are biased towards their team.
Of course that’s always part of it but Taylor lost control of the game when players in both teams became angry with the pen decisions - Ours was a soft one and then he went and missed theirs (also arguably soft) which got then got overturned by VAR (for G-W to score from) - it caused friction on the pitch and in the stadium - by the time Dunky was rightly (but harshly) sent off, Taylor was handing out yellow cards like they were trick or treat sweets at Halloween.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Big call by the Lino to witness Pedro getting fouled not once but twice before he finally, reluctantly, put his flag up.

Even Forest TV himself, Garry Birtles, said it was a foul long before the Lino put his flag up
Crazy that, "oh bloody hell, I guess I have to flag for it now".

Never seen someone so reluctant. As for Taylor, he didn't give their pen initially so no evening up there. VAR told him to look, so they must have done that through comparison with the one he gave

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
VAR never seems to overturn penalties so it is ridiculous that whoever was on it yesterday decided to give their one which looked a complete dive to me. The Premier League does seem to have had it in for us since De Zerbi took charg.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He had a good game. Our penalty was a fair one as the defender has his arms around Pedro’s waist. Their penalty he initially rejected, it was VAR that persuaded him to change his mind.

Dunk’s red card was down to the player. He’s a senior pro, the captain, and leadership means knowing when to avoid verbal abuse regardless of how pissed off you are.

Perhaps could have given another yellow to Forest but Pedro can be a bit theatrical at times when he is rolling around.

A neutral sent me a text during the game saying Anthony Taylor is a useless referee. :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Missed JPvH getting tripped in the Pedro incident, I still haven’t seen where the infringement is on the Forest penalty, other than both players going down.

Booked Bart without a warning. Allowed persistent foul play.

Influenced by the crowd, I really thought he was poor.

PS. Take your point on bias though.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Really?? Not sure thats right at all. I just want officiating which isn't inconsistent. Card someone for kicking the ball away, then not do the same for the next instance. Soft penalty here so therefore soft penalty there....someone puts their boot down on someones back and we get nothing. Dunk admittedly shouldn't have mouthed off, but there has been far worse not even carded. Line officials seem to be doing less and less possibly thinking VAR should sort it and it isn't. VAR should be mopping up the inconsistency, but it is simply exascerbating it. Its a complete inconsistent poor shambles.

Articles like the below just prove the point. Why is Webb saying there will be a crack down on something. If its not in the rules it should be being officiated each and every game. The fact he has to order his officials to "crack down" on something indicates they haven't been picking it up. The players need to be told to shut up and stop diving, each and every time they do it, not when Webb dictates.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really?? Not sure thats right at all. I just want officiating which isn't inconsistent. Card someone for kicking the ball away, then not do the same for the next instance. Soft penalty here so therefore soft penalty there....someone puts their boot down on someones back and we get nothing. Dunk admittedly shouldn't have mouthed off, but there has been far worse not even carded. Line officials seem to be doing less and less possibly thinking VAR should sort it and it isn't. VAR should be mopping up the inconsistency, but it is simply exascerbating it. Its a complete inconsistent poor shambles.

Articles like the below just prove the point. Why is Webb saying there will be a crack down on something. If its not in the rules it should be being officiated each and every game. The fact he has to order his officials to "crack down" on something indicates they haven't been picking it up. The players need to be told to shut up and stop diving, each and every time they do it, not when Webb dictates.

Talking of VAR, referees protecting each other, is wrong too. (I’ve just posted this on another thread)

Mike Dean admits he failed to intervene on Var decision to protect his 'mate' Anthony Taylor. Former Premier League referee Mike Dean failed to intervene on a major Var call because he did not want to cause his friend Anthony Taylor any 'grief', he has revealed.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023

Spot on

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Talking of VAR, referees protecting each other, is wrong too. (I’ve just posted this on another thread)

Mike Dean admits he failed to intervene on Var decision to protect his 'mate' Anthony Taylor. Former Premier League referee Mike Dean failed to intervene on a major Var call because he did not want to cause his friend Anthony Taylor any 'grief', he has revealed.

Yes, good point, I remember that well! Mike Dean hasn't got the shiniest of reputations either, but seemingly happy to spill all now he is out of it...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

My take was that he lost control. He doesn't have the natural authority that good refs need. At times he was ridiculously pernickety, and other times he let some very serious challenges go. There was a potential leg-breaker by a Forest player in the first half (luckily the BHA player - can't remember who - WBG? - got out of the way just in time). It was right in front of Taylor. There was another really bad foul - Taylor waved play on (fair enough), and we ended up getting a free kick - but he didn't go back and book the earlier infringement.

What everyone wants (players, managers, supporters) are CONSISTENT refs. Dunk's red card could be deserved, but there are countless examples pretty much every week of players mouthing off at refs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here