Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another US shooting

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
A very good film. Still laugh at Michael Moore going into the bank where they gave him a shotgun and cartridges for opening an account, with MM saying something like "is it a good idea to give out a loaded gun in the bank", and the cashier saying something along the lines of "whats wrong with it?"

That scene was completely falsified.

Moore and his cronies set the bank up to make it look as it did in the film.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
That scene was completely falsified.

Moore and his cronies set the bank up to make it look as it did in the film.
Moore is ludicrously biased, but he makes some very, very valid points in that film. How exactly can he "set the bank up"? It either offered that "open an account, get a free gun" deal or it didn't. Can you elaborate how in your opinion he hoaxed that scene?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Moore is ludicrously biased, but he makes some very, very valid points in that film. How exactly can he "set the bank up"? It either offered that "open an account, get a free gun" deal or it didn't. Can you elaborate how in your opinion he hoaxed that scene?

Easily. They made it out like he just walked in and got a gun.

But they had to go through a month long background check, and the supposed vault with all the guns was not at that particular bank, but one in another city.

What Michael did was not just walk in and get it. Instead, he and his people made prearrangments and where very particular in asking that a gun be there for Moore to take away that one day.

So the end result is a clip making it look like bankers just handed out guns whilly nilly every time someone signed up that day.

All this information came straight from an interview with the bankers after the movie was released.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

But they had to go through a month long background check, and the supposed vault with all the guns was not at that particular bank, but one in another city.

What Michael did was not just walk in and get it. Instead, he and his people made prearrangments and where very particular in asking that a gun be there for Moore to take away that one day.

So the end result is a clip making it look like bankers just handed out guns whilly nilly every time someone signed up that day.

All this information came straight from an interview with the bankers after the movie was released.
counter that then, brighton rock.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The issue of the bank, like many other of the numerous facts the NRA supporters, far right, and mass media he criticised have picked over through the film all these years is still missing the point he was making - a bank gives out guns for opening an account - that is a fact. That he chose to present the process of that transaction in a particular way was memorable, entertaining and making a point, but it was still a fact.

The unpicking of his film has been perhaps one of the more successful aspects of it. Moore wanted people to go out and find out more of what was happening, to research their own findings – he posed questions for Americans to ask themselves, not necessarily just to swallow everything he presented, or what they were presented with from other sources. He took the propaganda of Fox News, the NRA, the gun lobbyists and used it himself. The irony that they didn't like it is probably lost on them completely.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The issue of the bank, like many other of the numerous facts the NRA supporters, far right, and mass media he criticised have picked over through the film all these years is still missing the point he was making - a bank gives out guns for opening an account - that is a fact. That he chose to present the process of that transaction in a particular way was memorable, entertaining and making a point.

It doesn't "give out" guns. You're simply doing what Moore did. Which is using langauge which is nothing more than lies, thats a fact.

There are many restrictions attached to be able to obtain a gun from the bank. They are not giving them away. In fact the fact you have to deposit a certain amount of money in the bank before you can be even considered for one means they aren't even free. It's simply a smart marketing ploy to get people to deposit money with the bank.

I agree it's entertainment, however people are holding it up as something which should be taken seriously. Moore is a flat out liar and hypocrite so he should be awarded no semblence of credibility.

The unpicking of his film has been perhaps one of the more successful aspects of it. Moore wanted people to go out and find out more of what was happening, to research their own findings – he posed questions for Americans to ask themselves, not necessarily just to swallow everything he presented, or what they were presented with from other sources. He took the propaganda of Fox News, the NRA, the gun lobbyists and used it himself. The irony that they didn't like it is probably lost on them completely.

It opened my eyes to how the left lie and are as untrustworhty as every other group with an agenda. Moore looked to profit from others misery in many of his docos through falsifying many accounts to push his views. Thats how low the fat prick is.

Look how he reacts to being told he's part of the top 1% when confronted about capitalism. Multi, multi millionaire lies through his teeth about being wealthy.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It doesn't "give out" guns. You're simply doing what Moore did. Which is using langauge which is nothing more than lies, thats a fact.

There are many restrictions attached to be able to obtain a gun from the bank. They are not giving them away. In fact the fact you have to deposit a certain amount of money in the bank before you can be even considered for one means they aren't even free. It's simply a smart marketing ploy to get people to deposit money with the bank.

I agree it's erntertainment, however people are holding it up as something which should be taken seriously. Moore is a flat out liar and hypocrite so he should be awarded no semblence of credibility.

It opened my eyes to how the left lie and are as untrustworhty as every other group with an agenda. Moore looked to profit from others misery in many of his docos through falsifying many accounts to push his views. Thats how low the fat prick is.

Look how he reacts to being told he's part of the top 1% when confronted about capitalism.

I'm not defending Moores par se, he was a film maker with an agenda, and made an incredibly successful thought provoking film. He's not a group with an agenda, he doesn't represent the left, he's a film maker, an entertainer. Look how angry you are at him – he's obviously doing something right.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm not defending Moores par se, he was a film maker with an agenda, and made an incredibly successful thought provoking film. He's not a group with an agenda, he doesn't represent the left, he's a film maker, an entertainer. Look how angry you are at him – he's obviously doing something right.

I think he's a scaremonger who looks to profit on peoples fears and preconceived ideas.

I'm not angry at him, I more laugh at all the simple minds he sucks in.

His agenda is to make money off the insipid American Liberal minds. That self loathing PC group of people are rich, but spineless. Ripe for the picking.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you can argue the details of the terms and conditions all day long, and then some. it doesnt detract from the absurdity that a bank should offer a weapon as a gift, and it serves to underline that guns are seen as everyday object that their use as a gift isn't viewed as odd. anywhere else in the western world you'd get some voucher, maybe a toy, that's the contrast you should focus on.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
you can argue the details of the terms and conditions all day long, and then some. it doesnt detract from the absurdity that a bank should offer a weapon as a gift, and it serves to underline that guns are seen as everyday object that their use as a gift isn't viewed as odd. anywhere else in the western world you'd get some voucher, maybe a toy, that's the contrast you should focus on.

You mean in your society it seems odd.

In a nation that was built around a frontier life style which was how a great many people survived it's not that odd at all. Or has the fact that many of their folklore heroes are frontiermen been missed by people? Davey Crockett, Daniel Boone, Buffalo Bill ring a bell?

Stop viewing it from a UK city living perspective.

If someone lives in rural USA which a lot of people still do a gun is still very much part of their culture and has been for 200+ years.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[yt]lL8JEEt2RxI[/yt]

This is the BEST thing I've seen on the topic of gun control. Really funny and spot on, gets to the root of the US Psychology on gun ownership.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You mean in your society it seems odd.

In a nation that was built around a frontier life style which was how a great many people survived it's not that odd at all. Or has the fact that many of their folklore heroes are frontiermen been missed by people? Davey Crockett, Daniel Boone, Buffalo Bill ring a bell?

Stop viewing it from a UK city living perspective.

If someone lives in rural USA which a lot of people still do a gun is still very much part of their culture and has been for 200+ years.

It was in the US that the film was most successful, made in the US, by an American; what perspective were they watching it from?

Oh hang on, I know, a "Self loathing PC group of insipid American Liberal Minds..."

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Once again its Christians using their religion to kill people. I know not all of them aren't murdering scum, but it's about time the moderate Christians did more than speak up about the cancer in their midst and call the authorities to prevent some more of these terrorist acts.

Personally if I was Obama I would send them all back to Jersusalem where they came from. I know some of you limp wristed tofu munching sandal wearing liberals will say that some of them were born in the US and so should be allowed to live there, but you can't be too sure can you, and we don't want any more of that type of thing here.

tumblr_ljq77svYwA1qavmeoo1_500.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here