Another one O/T - The Falklands 30 years on - genuine views please

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Given the islanders want to remain British I'd suggest it's wrong to just look it from a financial perspective. Indeed after so many young men lost their lives, many suffering the horror of burning alive, it would be repugnant to consider the future of the islands because of the financial cost.
Totally agree, I find it amusing how the lefties on here try to dress up their wishy washy spinelessness, and basic disrespect for the servicemen who lost their lives as fiscal prudence.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Given the islanders want to remain British I'd suggest it's wrong to just look it from a financial perspective. Indeed after so many young men lost their lives, many suffering the horror of burning alive, it would be repugnant to consider the future of the islands because of the financial cost.

It's all about money.

yoda559

Feb 10, 2012
Newmarket
There should be a negotiated deal with Argentina. It is costing us a fortune.

Not while the locals consider themselves British there should not be negotiations at all. If they decide otherwise, then it would be different.

Would you be happy coming under the rule of one of the countries that our country was born from, just because that is the way it used to be?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Not while the locals consider themselves British there should not be negotiations at all. If they decide otherwise, then it would be different.

Would you be happy coming under the rule of one of the countries that our country was born from, just because that is the way it used to be?

I don't understand this argument about what the locals want. They're not indiginous. If they decide they want to be Nigeria for a bit, do the islands become part of Nigeria ? I doubt anyone would stand for that. We have a duty to look after them as Brits, resettle them here if they want it, but I just don't get this argument - I'm not saying it's wrong, it just doesn't sound right.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't understand this argument about what the locals want. They're not indiginous. If they decide they want to be Nigeria for a bit, do the islands become part of Nigeria ? I doubt anyone would stand for that. We have a duty to look after them as Brits, resettle them here if they want it, but I just don't get this argument - I'm not saying it's wrong, it just doesn't sound right.
Nobody in the world whatsoever is indigenous apart from Africans if you apply a rule of time, so how long does somewhere have to be inhabited for the population to become indigenous ? the Islands were always uninhabited, they are outside Argentinian territorial waters , they really dont have a claim on them , or if they do, then so does chile.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Nobody in the world whatsoever is indigenous apart from Africans if you apply a rule of time, so how long does somewhere have to be inhabited for the population to become indigenous ? the Islands were always uninhabited, they are outside Argentinian territorial waters , they really dont have a claim on them , or if they do, then so does chile.

Fair enough, so why should they "belong" to anyone then ?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
If a majority of the citizens want to be British / Argentinian, then let the people decide. It's a thing called democracy! Besides , Argentina hasn't got the power to start another war due to its unilateral disarmament.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Well you can apply that logic to anywhere really cant you ?

Absolutely. The Argies are making a noise about this due to election and oil potentail - they'll do nothing about it, they couldn't if they wanted to, their air force is no bigger, and possibly smaller than 30 years ago. We want the money from the oil, although presumably most of that goes to the oil companies rather than the country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm sure the UK could come to some better and mutual agreement between us, the 'locals' and the Argentines. I'm not necessarily suggesting it's totally cut free btw.

Also, why dont the locals want more/total autonomy? Why do they feel a need to be attached to the British? Why not be a Falklander? I feel there are better ways around the current situation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I have just had a corned beef sandwich. I only get this luxury when my wife is away as she hates the smell of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Germany would be good? Every day could be like a Max Moseley private party.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
"those islands the other side of the planet are ours! we must place our flag there! they will live as we do! we will even kill people for our demands ans use tax money to pay for missiles and weapons."

sounds kinda silly really.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
As a point of public expenditure, I frankly dont think the amount of people on the islands warrants the amount we will need to spend to defend them into perpetuity.
If they are so keen to remain British, they can move to some windswept, craggy part of Scotland or Wales.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
The huge loss of life of the war means that it can't be given to Argentina now, otherwise it will be as if people died for nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports