Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another home game moved by Sky..

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You sup with the devil you have to play by his rules.

Sky don't give a feck about supporters, they care about their viewers, who to be fair are not going to be switching on to watch brighton against Brentford! I agree that when we get in the prem, we can say goodbye to many Saturday games...havi said that Bournemouth haven't been on that much.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Just thinking about the pros and cons. What's the size of the cheque from sky for hosting a televised home game? I've googled without luck. I have £70,000 in my mind which if correct amounts to a couple of thousand attendees.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Under the agreement which Sky signed, they can not show live football at 3 pm. I believe it is the same for BT sport too.

I'm reasonably sure that not showing games at 3pm is something the PL/FL/FA insist upon to ensure that attendances don't drop and put clubs in financial trouble.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Just thinking about the pros and cons. What's the size of the cheque from sky for hosting a televised home game? I've googled without luck. I have £70,000 in my mind which if correct amounts to a couple of thousand attendees.

I think it's more like £150k for the home club. So not insignificant!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
They should just stick to the original times and if they want to televise a game just ****ing show it on tv at Sat at 3pm. If you want to go then brilliant and if you want to watch it on telly then equally brilliant. What am I missing?

Completely agree. As you know in Germany, Sky show all Bundesliga matches as they kick off live on a Saturday. Yet the stadiums are full. Also when was the last time a Premier League stadium was down on attendance due to tv? Has that happened ever!?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

Sky don't give a feck about supporters, they care about their viewers, who to be fair are not going to be switching on to watch brighton against Brentford! I agree that when we get in the prem, we can say goodbye to many Saturday games...havi said that Bournemouth haven't been on that much.

Exactly this! Beyond us and Brentford nobody really gives a stuff about this game and Sky just want to fill a vacant slot in their schedule. Whenever this happens to us I get annoyed about our fans who cannot attend and those armchair fans watching Sky who support neither side but get to watch a game they just don't care about......if we make it to the Prem it WILL get worse and we'll be playing at different times every week, i.e. any time across the weekend and Monday night just to satisfy the vague interest of people who want SOMETHING (ANYTHING) to pass the time. How frustrating will this be for all Albion fans, but especially for STH's? I'm guessing VERY.......:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Completely agree. As you know in Germany, Sky show all Bundesliga matches as they kick off live on a Saturday. Yet the stadiums are full. Also when was the last time a Premier League stadium was down on attendance due to tv? Has that happened ever!?

I think it's more to do with the impact lower down the leagues, would someone stop going to Southport for example if they could watch Liverpool/Everton at 3pm every week. Or Lewes if they could watch Brighton on TV every week.

Other countries don't have the same level of attendance for lower league football than we do here.

It just encourages more armchair fans and less actual fans.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The "no live games on Saturday at 3pm" is an outdated rule which came in when football first started being televised live, and you only had one game a week being shown. The perception was that sticking on (say) Man U vs Liverpool at 3pm on a Saturday would have a detrimental effect across the leagues, as people would stay home to watch that one "big game" of the week instead of going to watch their team. Football clubs didn't want to be competing with televised games.

Nowadays of course, we get saturation coverage. There's usually about five live games being shown across the weekend. So the theory that a game being shown live at 3pm on a Saturday would have a detrimental effect on attendances anywhere else is complete tosh. Add in the fact that the games are only shown on subscription channels nowadays and not free-to-air terrestrial TV (so a far smaller audience) and its even more of a nonsense to think it'd hit attendences.

Totally outdated rule, and it needs BINNING.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

If only we saw more of the Sky money in the Championship to compensate. I agree, if people are unhappy about the lack of traditional kick off times now, just wait until we potentially get into the Premier League - it's a whole different level of f*uckwittery

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I think it's more like £150k for the home club. So not insignificant!

This season the home club receives £100,000 and the away club £10,000

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I make it 6

Forest at home
Burnley away
QPR away
Boro at home
Wolves at home
and now Brentford at home

What about games that are covered by an overseas broadcaster, like Bien Sports in the US?

We've had at least 1 of those. Do we get owt for them?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'd guess that would be governed by a different TV deal, we must get something tthough.
Looking at how November and December have panned out I'm expecting at least another 4 sky televised games by the end of the season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I make it 6

Forest at home
Burnley away
QPR away
Boro at home
Wolves at home
and now Brentford at home
Why is Brentford away, on Boxing Day, a 1pm kick off?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Pros and cons.
For us fans that buy season tickets and advanced match tickets no pros only cons.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I'm reasonably sure that not showing games at 3pm is something the PL/FL/FA insist upon to ensure that attendances don't drop and put clubs in financial trouble.

It is actually a UEFA article - which has been eroded slowly over years - and now only applies in the four home countries, Austria and Montenegro !

If you're really interested it is here http://www.uefa.com/news/newsid=19817.html

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think it's more to do with the impact lower down the leagues, would someone stop going to Southport for example if they could watch Liverpool/Everton at 3pm every week. Or Lewes if they could watch Brighton on TV every week.

Other countries don't have the same level of attendance for lower league football than we do here.

It just encourages more armchair fans and less actual fans.

I don't think lower league fans would stay home to watch premier league footy. Do attendances drop for lower league when the champions league is on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here