Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor should be renamed…

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Potters 3 wins in that were Leeds, Leicester, Dortmund, the draw was at home to Everton, lost at home to Villa and away to Tottenham. Go one more PL game back and he lost at home to Saints.
Lampards last 6 include Real Madrid twice, Arsenal, Brentford, Brighton and Wolves, his first game in charge.
It's funny isn't it. I can't be arsed to trawl back but I'm sure it wasn't long ago he was moaning about the convenient selection of games people were picking to compare goals under RDZ to GP.

The Athletic and the Barber era of club controlled media has really shown the worst side of Naylor. I actually used to like him at The Argus. One of the best Albion sides ever and he's only interested in puff pieces or telling everyone how he's right. His best pieces on there tend to be co written

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Surely the problem was with him being recruited by their owner!!

Wrong club, wrong manager. Just think, if he’d stayed here we’d probably be tenth, Solly March would have one assist, Wolves would have been dispatched 1-0 after 33 shots, ending our three game scoreless run and Our Graham would still have an easy life.
Absolute RUBBISH!

It would have been 82% possession, 47 shots and a 0-1 loss

But we would have improved, learned a lot - and it would have been what it would have been....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Surely the problem was with him being recruited by their owner!!

Wrong club, wrong manager. Just think, if he’d stayed here we’d probably be tenth, Solly March would have one assist, Wolves would have been dispatched 1-0 after 33 shots, ending our three game scoreless run and Our Graham would still have an easy life.
His last 14 games did deliver 27 goals and 30 points. 21/22 we were only out of the top 9 for 2 months of the entire season.

RDZ is a step up and an improvement in so many ways, but it would be ridiculous not to acknowledge how good we were when he picked up the reigns - not many new managers get to walk into a job like that with a team already purring like a finely tuned German sportscar. RDZ has added the turbo charger, but it was still a very good car.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On a slightly different Andy Naylor topic, we’ve been linked with half a dozen players over the last week. I don’t think he’s ruled any of them out.

Has he just given up on talking about transfers? I can’t imagine they’re all true so seems weird he’s ignoring a golden chance to be a smug, sanctimonious bellend.

I imagine he doesn't have a clue which rumours are based on fact and which aren't. Fear not though, as soon as there's any chance of being a smug, sanctimonious bellend, he'll grab it like a spoilt child grabbing Christmas presents.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Clearlake is the problem. If Potter had been approached in the summer then no problem. The issue was timing. FIVE GAMES INTO A NEW SEASON.
Coupled with a fantastic start to this season, the 5-2 drubbing of Leicester felt like an important moment, to have that feeling after that victory and then the guts of it ripped out was and still is hard to take. Doesn't change how we got to that point though, and how then we've progressed after.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's funny isn't it. I can't be arsed to trawl back but I'm sure it wasn't long ago he was moaning about the convenient selection of games people were picking to compare goals under RDZ to GP.

The Athletic and the Barber era of club controlled media has really shown the worst side of Naylor. I actually used to like him at The Argus. One of the best Albion sides ever and he's only interested in puff pieces or telling everyone how he's right. His best pieces on there tend to be co written
He is just not very good, "League 1 at best". Annoys me that he gets paid for his poorly formed opinions.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Coupled with a fantastic start to this season, the 5-2 drubbing of Leicester felt like an important moment, to have that feeling after that victory and then the guts of it ripped out was and still is hard to take. Doesn't change how we got to that point though, and how then we've progressed after.
I don't think Potter would regret his decision to leave us. He's an ambitious man and offers like that come about very rarely, but I do think he'll forever wonder what could have been if he'd stayed at Brighton. After a steadily improving first couple of seasons, it really felt like he'd cracked it here and it was the ultimate stick or twist decision for him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think Potter would regret his decision to leave us. He's an ambitious man and offers like that come about very rarely, but I do think he'll forever wonder what could have been if he'd stayed at Brighton. After a steadily improving first couple of seasons, it really felt like he'd cracked it here and it was the ultimate stick or twist decision for him
So tough it took him ages to make a decision to twist :lolol:

RDZ is unlikely to ever walk into such a ready to go club again though, and I imagine GP will be far more circumspect about where he decides to go in the future. Most of us saw how it would turn out for him at Chelsea the day he left, so he either had an overinflated opinion of his abilities or the dollar signs made the decision for him.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
In Andy’s defence here, he’s always going to strike up a relationship with any given Albion manager he works with, I still count both Micky and Mr McGhee as friends all these years later, whether Andy’s loyalty is misplaced is immaterial, it’s loyalty and that’s a personal trait.

FWIW however I think both Potter’s arrival ( The treatment of CH) and departure were both unsavoury, and thankfully he’s consigned to the annals of Albion history.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Absolute RUBBISH!

It would have been 82% possession, 47 shots and a 0-1 loss

But we would have improved, learned a lot - and it would have been what it would have been....
I know this is the sort of thing that characterised his time with our club, but it's worth remembering that we were 4th (P6, W4 D1 L1 +6) when he left this season. We had scored 14 goals (including the 3 against FGR) across 7 matches which, interestingly enough, is pretty much in line with what we've managed under RDZ. Coupled with the amazing end to last season, and you can be forgiven for thinking Potter had eventually sorted out our goal scoring woes.

I love the fact we got RDZ in his place and I love the fact Chelsea has turned to dogshit, but Potter's time here was relatively successful and I do think we'd have had a very good season if he'd stayed. Perhaps not quite as good, but we'd have been happy enough I'm guessing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

RDZ is unlikely to ever walk into such a ready to go club again though, and I imagine GP will be far more circumspect about where he decides to go in the future. Most of us saw how it would turn out for him at Chelsea the day he left, so he either had an overinflated opinion of his abilities or the dollar signs made the decision for him.
I don't remember many people insisting Cucurella would be a shit signing for them. Turns out he is complete wank compared to Pervis. Lovely stuff.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I think there's a third option, he believed the story Chelsea's hierarchy were selling at the time? They were new owners and their history in the US was of giving coaches time to embed their ideas.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He is just not very good, "League 1 at best". Annoys me that he gets paid for his poorly formed opinions.
He's had a pretty decent career – in an industry that doesn't suffer fools – for someone who is 'not very good'...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In Andy’s defence here, he’s always going to strike up a relationship with any given Albion manager he works with, I still count both Micky and Mr McGhee as friends all these years later, whether Andy’s loyalty is misplaced is immaterial, it’s loyalty and that’s a personal trait.

FWIW however I think both Potter’s arrival ( The treatment of CH) and departure were both unsavoury, and thankfully he’s consigned to the annals of Albion history.
Agreed . He's also hardly the only football journalist, who don't have the relationship, to make the point that he's still a very good coach, that he was given a tough hand to play with - given Boehly and the bloated squad, and that the sacking - although not a surprise - was perhaps a mistake.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
When Potter fails at the next club he goes to, who will Naylor blame then?

Graham Potter, it's never his fault...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
His last 14 games did deliver 27 goals and 30 points. 21/22 we were only out of the top 9 for 2 months of the entire season.

RDZ is a step up and an improvement in so many ways, but it would be ridiculous not to acknowledge how good we were when he picked up the reigns - not many new managers get to walk into a job like that with a team already purring like a finely tuned German sportscar. RDZ has added the turbo charger, but it was still a very good car.
We’ve chopped in a diesel BMW 3 series and rocked up in a Alfa Giulia Quadrofoglio

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I know this is the sort of thing that characterised his time with our club, but it's worth remembering that we were 4th (P6, W4 D1 L1 +6) when he left this season. We had scored 14 goals (including the 3 against FGR) across 7 matches which, interestingly enough, is pretty much in line with what we've managed under RDZ. Coupled with the amazing end to last season, and you can be forgiven for thinking Potter had eventually sorted out our goal scoring woes.

I love the fact we got RDZ in his place and I love the fact Chelsea has turned to dogshit, but Potter's time here was relatively successful and I do think we'd have had a very good season if he'd stayed. Perhaps not quite as good, but we'd have been happy enough I'm guessing.

Whilst you are right that we were a bit more free scoring this season, It was interesting to me that Chelsea turned into 2019 BHAFC when Potter got there. The finger can be pointed that they didn't sign a striker but the likes of Aubameyang know where the goal is. Only Everton, Saints, Forest and Wolves have scored fewer this season. We are not far off scoring double what they have. There must be something behind the scenes which doesn't work around banging it in the onion bag and finding cows arses.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I think there's a third option, he believed the story Chelsea's hierarchy were selling at the time? They were new owners and their history in the US was of giving coaches time to embed their ideas.
This

The promise of the same environment to create something with a significant budget and life changing wages.

The only problem is Bohley didn’t take into account how long it could take, signed too many players without consulting him (clearly) and bottled it serving potter up as the fall guy. Then thought ah, I’ll recruit a club Legend (player) and the fans will love me again.

The problem is and always will be Bohley and Clearlake.

Anyway f*** em, f*** em all not our concern

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
On a slightly different Andy Naylor topic, we’ve been linked with half a dozen players over the last week. I don’t think he’s ruled any of them out.

Has he just given up on talking about transfers? I can’t imagine they’re all true so seems weird he’s ignoring a golden chance to be a smug, sanctimonious bellend.

The Athletic has reported on Pedro and Milner but not Naylor directly.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
When Potter fails at the next club he goes to, who will Naylor blame then?

Graham Potter, it's never his fault...

Potter transformed the way we played into a modern, passing side who left us in 4th position in the Premier League. Chelsea didn't work out but there were many reasons for that, many beyond his control. He has been successful everywhere else and given time, will be again at another club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here