Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor should be renamed…

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The Athletic has reported on Pedro and Milner but not Naylor directly.
Yes, Milner was a David Ornstein exclusive, he's apparently built up a fairly good rapport with the club over the past few seasons.

Adam Leventhal was on Pedro and he is very ITK with Watford.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Potter transformed the way we played into a modern, passing side who left us in 4th position in the Premier League. Chelsea didn't work out but there were many reasons for that, many beyond his control. He has been successful everywhere else and given time, will be again at another club.
He wasn't successful at Swansea and I maintain he was performing about at par with the tools he had at this club and that opinion has been strengthened by the success of RDZ who has the same tools but has got us scoring goals and entertaining in every game. The long winless and goalless runs are a thing of the past now and I hope whoever appoints Potter expects a similar fate. In summary, good riddance.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
He wasn't successful at Swansea and I maintain he was performing about at par with the tools he had at this club and that opinion has been strengthened by the success of RDZ who has the same tools but has got us scoring goals and entertaining in every game. The long winless and goalless runs are a thing of the past now and I hope whoever appoints Potter expects a similar fate. In summary, good riddance.
I actually think along with the excellent points you make, that the whole Chelsea experience has scarred Potter inside, I think his next job if it’s the wrong will all but destroy his reputation.

For different reasons obviously but within 5 years he could become as unemployable in the EPL/EFL as Poyet.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think Lampard’s failure at Chelsea has taken some of the heat off Potter.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Why so bitter? I don't get it.

Good riddance to someone who left us 4th? You really think that's on a " par with the "tools" he had at Brighton, come off it. Everyone knows we have one of the lowest budgets in the Premier League.

You’re wrong too about his time at Swansea. When he took over there, Swansea was in chaos after 4 or 5 managers who'd not worked out in about 18 months. It was a total mess. He inherited a run-down, greatly depleted squad and had to rely on several members of the youth team as had no money to spend to replace recognised first-team players who had left. Swansea, under Potter, went onto produce some of the best attacking and passing football in the country. That’s why Dan Ashworth recommended him to Bloom as Hughton’s successor. Swansea finished 10th and looked a good for promotion the following season but then we hired him, precisely because he’d done such a good job there and the style of football Potter had instilled.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Good riddance to someone who left us 4th? You really think that's on a " par with the "tools" he had at Brighton, come off it. Everyone knows we have one of the lowest budgets in the Premier League.

You’re wrong too about his time at Swansea. When he took over there, Swansea was in chaos after 4 or 5 managers who'd not worked out in about 18 months. It was a total mess. He inherited a run-down, greatly depleted squad and had to rely on several members of the youth team as had no money to spend to replace recognised first-team players who had left. Swansea, under Potter, went onto produce some of the best attacking and passing football in the country. That’s why Dan Ashworth recommended him to Bloom as Hughton’s successor. Swansea finished 10th and looked a good for promotion the following season but then we hired him, precisely because of he’d done such a good job there and the style of football Potter had instilled.
Very good post. I really don't understand the bitterness from some on here at all, it was the same on the Potter thread when he was at Chelsea months after he'd left us. It's like him leaving us has emotionally scarred them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
GP final 25 games in charge:
W10 D7 L8 pts37

RDZ 25 games in charge:
W11 D6 L8 pts39

From April 2022 till Potter's departure we were amazing to watch. Even in the barren runs, we were playing great football. Absolutely RDZ is a step up, but bitter memories seem to be erasing the progress this team had already made, perhaps what were essential foundations for RDZ to quickly mould this team into his.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

You’re wrong too about his time at Swansea. When he took over there, Swansea was in chaos after 4 or 5 managers who'd not worked out in about 18 months. It was a total mess. He inherited a run-down, greatly depleted squad and had to rely on several members of the youth team as had no money to spend to replace recognised first-team players who had left. Swansea, under Potter, went onto produce some of the best attacking and passing football in the country. That’s why Dan Ashworth recommended him to Bloom as Hughton’s successor. Swansea finished 10th and looked a good for promotion the following season but then we hired him, precisely because he’d done such a good job there and the style of football Potter had instilled.

Bloom had actually been tracking him for years.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
W10 D7 L8 pts37

RDZ 25 games in charge:
W11 D6 L8 pts39

From April 2022 till Potter's departure we were amazing to watch. Even in the barren runs, we were playing great football. Absolutely RDZ is a step up, but bitter memories seem to be erasing the progress this team had already made, perhaps what were essential foundations for RDZ to quickly mould this team into his.
Absolutely this. By all means boo Potter for leaving us in the sh*t in mid-season, lord knows I did, but spare me the revisionist nonsense that he was no good. It's precisely because he was good that I was so enraged at his departure.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
W10 D7 L8 pts37

RDZ 25 games in charge:
W11 D6 L8 pts39

The way things are shaping up - those extra two points could be the most important points the club have ever picked up! 😂

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I don't buy this. Potter transformed a side playing low block, percentages football to one that played in a manner that was much admired throughout football and eventually had us in the top half. There were rough periods, but this wasn't a small acheivement. Tony Bloom showed the patience that Patrick Vieira's employers lacked and Potter repaid him with the highest finish his club had ever acheived. Just because RDZ has come in and moved us even further doesn't alter the fact that after three years work, Potter had us at an unprecedented level.

The scouting and recruitment is fantastic, the standard and the application of players is great. The culture of unity and hard work in the dressing room and throughout the club was built by Bloom, Barber and Hughton and then built upon by Potter and then RDZ. The passing, patient, adaptable approach was built by Potter and built upon by RDZ. The way that RDZ is creating counter attacking situations whilst keeping possession is all his own and is being noticed and adapted by the best coaches in the world.

Potter is a very good coach. His reputation has been soiled by taking a job with the wrong owners. It shouldn't be further soiled because he was suceeded in his old job by someone who may turn out to be a total game changer. As Guardiola has suggested, RDZ is influencing the future of English football. Potter is a coach whose style is built in the image of Guardiola. Guardiola developed his style from the likes of Cruyff and Bielsa. He has already changed City's style since RDZ has been in the UK. The progressive and process driven coaches will follow his lead and Potter is one of them. RDZ has shown that more risk can lead to rewarding situations that create better scoring opportunities.

Potter studies football and I'm sure he will heed this example in his next job. RDZ has improved Potter's old team, but he will also improve Potter as a coach. He's shown him the way to play his patient, passing football whilst also creating overloads in the areas of the pitch that allow for the creation of easier to score chances. Unfortunately for him, he will never again enjoy the kind of set up he had at Brighton, that would allow this kind of approach to be implemented successfully so quickly. He threw that away for his Faustian bargain. He'll be successful again at another club, but he'll always be haunted by the refrain from Joni's greatest pop song:

'Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.'

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'll be less polite than others (and there's precious little to add to the responses you've received): this is a load of old nonsense.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, most of the angst has drained away now that he was sacked. He got his comeuppance, we got our revenge so sweetly, and I am happy with that and can now look back mostly fondly at his time here albeit tarnished by his idiotic decision to go for the $$$ at Chelsea.

I lost all angst.

RDZ was the perfect remedy, Potter’s sacking the icing on the Schadenfreude cake.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He is just not very good, "League 1 at best". Annoys me that he gets paid for his poorly formed opinions.
He lucked out that The Athletic decided to invest in PL coverage and that Tony Bloom/Chris Hughton had got us to the party.

Without those stars aligning, Naylor would still be a writer for a paper dying a slow death.

I really liked Naylor earlier this year though. He made Romano look an ill informed idiot on the Arsenal-Caicedo episode. No doubt being fed counter-propaganda by the Albion :ascarf: :lolol:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
W10 D7 L8 pts37

RDZ 25 games in charge:
W11 D6 L8 pts39

Thanks for posting stats for a comparison 👍👍👍

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm not bitter. I agree his tenure was ultimately successful when you look at it in the history books.

I'm just rejoicing once again that he's no longer our manager. We've endured his tenure, suffered through his history lessons and his patronising patter. His surely now debunked "emotional intelligence". His stifling of players abilities. Almost everything he did as manager rubbed me up the wrong way and I felt really pleased when he moved on. It was like a dark cloud had finally drifted away.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't buy this. Potter transformed a side playing low block, percentages football to one that played in a manner that was much admired throughout football and eventually had us in the top half. There were rough periods, but this wasn't a small acheivement. Tony Bloom showed the patience that Patrick Vieira's employers lacked and Potter repaid him with the highest finish his club had ever acheived. Just because RDZ has come in and moved us even further doesn't alter the fact that after three years work, Potter had us at an unprecedented level.

The scouting and recruitment is fantastic, the standard and the application of players is great. The culture of unity and hard work in the dressing room and throughout the club was built by Bloom, Barber and Hughton and then built upon by Potter and then RDZ. The passing, patient, adaptable approach was built by Potter and built upon by RDZ. The way that RDZ is creating counter attacking situations whilst keeping possession is all his own and is being noticed and adapted by the best coaches in the world.

Potter is a very good coach. His reputation has been soiled by taking a job with the wrong owners. It shouldn't be further soiled because he was suceeded in his old job by someone who may turn out to be a total game changer. As Guardiola has suggested, RDZ is influencing the future of English football. Potter is a coach whose style is built in the image of Guardiola. Guardiola developed his style from the likes of Cruyff and Bielsa. He has already changed City's style since RDZ has been in the UK. The progressive and process driven coaches will follow his lead and Potter is one of them. RDZ has shown that more risk can lead to rewarding situations that create better scoring opportunities.

Potter studies football and I'm sure he will heed this example in his next job. RDZ has improved Potter's old team, but he will also improve Potter as a coach. He's shown him the way to play his patient, passing football whilst also creating overloads in the areas of the pitch that allow for the creation of easier to score chances. Unfortunately for him, he will never again enjoy the kind of set up he had at Brighton, that would allow this kind of approach to be implemented successfully so quickly. He threw that away for his Faustian bargain. He'll be successful again at another club, but he'll always be haunted by the refrain from Joni's greatest pop song:

'Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.'
Agree. Had we stuck with CH or gone for a traditional “old school” replacement we would be in the Championship.
GP paved the way for where we are now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here