Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Based on absolutely nothing than a hunch, I reckon he'll be back in the squad in 2021. A reformed character – to an extent – and ready to give it his all (without assaulting anyone this time!) for the Albion.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Where is Andone receiving the treatment for his injury?
His recovery must be being monitored somewhere.

Has he been at Lancing recently?

I've just found the answer to my own question in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2018956/2020/08/26/florin-andone-brighton-future-graham-potter/

Andy Naylor's article discusses Andone's roller coaster ride of the last couple of years, but the first few paragraphs summarises how he's doing at the moment:

Forgotten forward Florin Andone has not given up hope of resurrecting his career with Brighton and Hove Albion as the club plot to strengthen their strike force. But is there any way back for the fiery Romania international?
That question is difficult to answer, but at least we know that Andone is returning to the UK at the end of the month. He is in Spain working with his personal trainer and physio on his recovery from the second of two serious knee injuries, which decimated a season-long loan spell in Turkey with Galatasaray.
He will quarantine at home for a fortnight on the south coast before continuing his rehabilitation with Brighton’s physios.
In a perfect world, he will be training again by the end of the year, with a view to forcing his way into the plans of head coach Graham Potter during the second half of the season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've just found the answer to my own question in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2018956/2020/08/26/florin-andone-brighton-future-graham-potter/

Andy Naylor's article discusses Andone's roller coaster ride of the last couple of years, but the first few paragraphs summarises how he's doing at the moment:

Forgotten forward Florin Andone has not given up hope of resurrecting his career with Brighton and Hove Albion as the club plot to strengthen their strike force. But is there any way back for the fiery Romania international?
That question is difficult to answer, but at least we know that Andone is returning to the UK at the end of the month. He is in Spain working with his personal trainer and physio on his recovery from the second of two serious knee injuries, which decimated a season-long loan spell in Turkey with Galatasaray.
He will quarantine at home for a fortnight on the south coast before continuing his rehabilitation with Brighton’s physios.
In a perfect world, he will be training again by the end of the year, with a view to forcing his way into the plans of head coach Graham Potter during the second half of the season.

That makes it sound like the 2021/22 season is more likely

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"Florin Andone has not given up hope of resurrecting his career with Brighton and Hove Albion" - well, that's a hopeful sign at least. Of he's keen to buckle down, and mend a few bridges we could have a very good player there ....................... at last!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Btw his goal against CP is THE greatest ever Albion goal in my book, so I rated him highly.

The turning point for me was handing rivals Stains three points, over nothing, when he already had form with his temper. I’d guess to force through his move overseas. Hard to stomach.

The greatest ever?

I went as mental as the next man when it went in, but I can think of at least a dozen Albion goals that were 'greater'. If it wasn't for Tompkins defending like a spastic then getting a HUGELY fortunate bobble, Andone wouldn't have had a sniff.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The greatest ever?

I went as mental as the next man when it went in, but I can think of at least a dozen Albion goals that were 'greater'. If it wasn't for Tompkins defending like a spastic then getting a HUGELY fortunate bobble, Andone wouldn't have had a sniff.

this.... fantastic goal, aided and abetted by a useless carthorse

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Probably next level above Maupay in the fiery/schizo stakes, Neal has got that in him, we just haven’t witnessed it yet but I’m sure a red card is a matter of time.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Probably next level above Maupay in the fiery/schizo stakes, Neal has got that in him, we just haven’t witnessed it yet but I’m sure a red card is a matter of time.

NM is French so he will have it in him (my ex is French and my eldest is 1/2 French so I know all about it).

But he still is a level below Andone and Knocky in the 'loosing the rag' table.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The greatest ever?

True, but like winning the Belgian GP in a LAda Riva . . . .you've got to be in it to win it!

and yes, I went mental too. :O

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Off the pitch our Neal's a lovely boy apparently and very popular amongst the squad. Florin on the other hand...

[tweet]1168547363180490752[/tweet]

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I'm not sure. No doubt Maupay is a an absolute pest to defend against and can definitely wind players up with the best of them but I think he's in control of everything he does.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Off the pitch our Neal's a lovely boy apparently and very popular amongst the squad. Florin on the other hand...

[tweet]1168547363180490752[/tweet]

I'm not on twatter, so can't check, but is it safe to assume that this had loads of likes from the rest of the squad?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Probably did a year ago.........

Would be interesting to know because someone mentioned that his posts on (i think) instagram were liked by plenty of our squad, so it would seem he is not as unpopular as Paul Hayward suggests.

Just find it a bit sad that so many of our fans were so willing to ostracize one of our players on the strength of a throwaway line from a journalist who probably thought he was being witty following the reaction to Andone's red card against Southampton.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given the injuries he has had, we really are clutching at straws if we are banking on his return in the new year to emulate a new striker

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Given the injuries he has had, we really are clutching at straws if we are banking on his return in the new year to emulate a new striker

I don't think it's clutching at straws at all. We need striker cover now for sure, at least 1 imho, but Andone is a quality player (forgetting his other, non skill based issues). If he can get fit and control his temperament, he will be an excellent addition in the second half of season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Liking the mood music from Potter. Doesn't sound like totally burned bridges.

Really hope to see a reformed Andone terrorising defenses and being a nuisance again, wearing an albion shirt in 2021.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18717999.florin-andone-faces-long-road-fitness/

With respect, would you expect Potter to say something like the following:

"Oh, that ****. Look, unfortunately he's contracted to us and we have to continue to pay the tosser. When he turns up in Lancing it's our job to get him fit and ready to play, then we can have another go at shipping him out. None of that loan nonsense this time though, we're going to flog him to anyone who'll take him, and I'll drive him myself."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here