Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone and Locadia

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
If anything, you’re underselling his first goal.

When he flicks that at goal, he’s facing away from the ball - Gazzanigga and Davies, facing toward it. Incredible that when it came back off the keeper, he is the one there first to knock it home. Sharp as ****.
Yep. He's a goalscorer end of. Newcastle a knats hair away. Villa underside of the bar. He could have more goals.

This lad is the real deal. Been following him since u-18 days. He will score goals whatever the level and he knows it.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I am obviously in the minority here but I thought Andone, on his day, was an exciting and talented forward and I always felt more confident we would score when he was on the pitch. The Palace goal was amazing.

It's a shame he's a closet psycho.

The Palace goal was a bit lucky. Their defender put it on a plate for Florin. No where near as good as Connolly's 2nd goal

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe you could add in Ali J who Potter clearly doesn't fancy. More millions squandered.
What's interesting about all three of those players is that someone (Barber or Bloom, I think) seemed to suggest that CH didn't get the best out of them and that was one reason for a change of manager. With two of them gone and the other nowhere near the starting lineup, it seems as if GP can't/won't either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am obviously in the minority here but I thought Andone, on his day, was an exciting and talented forward and I always felt more confident we would score when he was on the pitch. The Palace goal was amazing.

It's a shame he's a closet psycho.

After the CP home game we all probably thought that. Too inconsistent, with a sly habit of trying to hurt opponents (forgetting that matches in this country have cameras from every angle), quite lazy too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Andone will never play for Brighton again. That’s a stonewall fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acceptance without exception. That is a Stonewall fact :rolleyes::cheers:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I was initially critical of the decision to get rid of Andone. Ability wise, he was worth keeping but the burning the bridges interview along with his headcase tendancies whilst he here made me reconsider. Its a fair bet he is a pain in the arse behind the scenes. DJ strollabout was a different story. I'd have driven him there myself and thrown in a new set of decks for good measure.

The real story though is just how good Connolly is. That is some home debut and let's not forget he was a miracle clearance away from scoring at Newcastle as well. Amazing that we've been trying to find a striker for what seems like forever and the answer may well have been knocking about in the U23s.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What about Knockaert? There were more howls of anguish when he departed than for L & A. Would like to have seen how he fared under Potter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This turned into a great thread IMO.

What about Knockaert? There were more howls of anguish when he departed than for L & A. Would like to have seen how he fared under Potter.
I suspect AK was shipped out for playing reasons rather than personality. I know there was a feeling that the narrative always turned into The Anthony Knockhaert Show on occasion, and that grated with some players, but actually it is easy to see how his style wouldn't have fitted with Potters wishes.

Exciting player on his day, but sometimes he just didn't get the ball under control quite quick enough. Beating his man 3 times is good to watch sometimes but Potter wants one-touch stuff with players knowing what they want to do ahead of receiving the ball. I'm not convinced he's Potter's style of winger at all. I'll call it now, I have a similar fear for Izquierdo when he returns - I'm not sure he's direct enough, although clearly he is much more of a goal threat that Knocky is/was.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't help thinking that would have ended badly, very badly.

Leave them wanting more - not a queue of posters willing to drive him to anywhere.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Palace goal was a bit lucky. Their defender put it on a plate for Florin. No where near as good as Connolly's 2nd goal

Most goals include an element of luck, the first two on Saturday for example. Murray's goal at Palace had a huge slice of luck as well. Andone's goal had luck but he chased a lost cause over half the length of the pitch and his pressure probably forced the error.

That said, whilst I think he could have been good, his head is in completely the wrong place!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We can easily get by with these 3 until January imo.

On ability, you may very well be right.

In all probability though, we will see injuries and suspensions that will leave us looking very short having just these 3 as striking options.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Connolly and alzate will be worth more than 35 million by the end is this season.

:lolol:

They are good, but....
If they perform this season as well as it looks like they could, of course they'll be worth £35m. The likes of Locadia and Jahanbakhsh cost about £35m the pair (no they're not worth that now, but that's the cost of players that haven't been tested at this level). If Connolly and Alzate become proven at this level, then they'd obviously be worth more, and that's before you add on a substantial amount for the fact they're so young.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I remember being really excited when we signed Locadia and even more excited when we signed Andone.

Which is seemingly a damning indictment of my football knowledge.
To be fair, Andone looked decent, it was just his attitude that was an issue.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Graham is the manager I’ve been waiting for all my life. And I’ve said that after every game this season as it’s been so obvious how good he is right from the start. Some of the criticism from thickos on here has been ridiculous and shows how many people just follow results and not performances.

The way he’s turned a team that had all the pace, mobility and fluidity of a fat bloke running for a bus into a slick passing machine with goal threat from across the pitch in just eight games is absolutely amazing. We are witnessing a genius of a manager at work here. Enjoy it before he gets a big job.

And yes, as you say, it’s one thing having a plan and a system to allow beautiful, winning football, but it’s another to have the balls to make some of the decisions he has within weeks of getting his first PL job. Last year’s POTS - dumped. Last year’s top scorer - out. Club record signing - nowhere to be seen. Two of our three strikers from last year - banished to loan spells. If this had gone wrong he’d have looked a mug. But it shows how confident he is in his ability that he has embraced kicking out the players he knows simply aren’t good enough or won’t fit his style. He knows exactly what he wants and he doesn’t care if it’s kids, Championship players or unproven foreigners he needs to call upon to deliver it. In fact, all the better if it is as he knows they have the hunger to do it for him. The man has a vision and the guts to make it happen.

Couldn't agree more, I've found it bizarre seeing people saying "it's gonna be a long, hard season" after the Chelsea game. That was genuinely the only game we played badly in, and that and the Man City game were the only two so far that we haven't been the better team and deserved to win. We have looked absolutely fantastic, a milllion miles off last season, and I'm loving it. Idiots like Spence who can't see this have no idea about football whatsoever.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's interesting about all three of those players is that someone (Barber or Bloom, I think) seemed to suggest that CH didn't get the best out of them and that was one reason for a change of manager. With two of them gone and the other nowhere near the starting lineup, it seems as if GP can't/won't either.

It seems to me as if Potter agreed that CH was right about them - which brings us back to that intriguing question of just what did CH having the final say on all transfers actually mean.......

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Couldn't agree more, I've found it bizarre seeing people saying "it's gonna be a long, hard season" after the Chelsea game. That was genuinely the only game we played badly in, and that and the Man City game were the only two so far that we haven't been the better team and deserved to win. We have looked absolutely fantastic, a milllion miles off last season, and I'm loving it. Idiots like Spence who can't see this have no idea about football whatsoever.

Where is [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION]? Banned or hiding?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It seems to me as if Potter agreed that CH was right about them - which brings us back to that intriguing question of just what did CH having the final say on all transfers actually mean.......

I very much doubt that Potter alone decided to ship out Locadia and, in particular, Andone.

And, to me, "final say" means the club won't buy a player which the manager doesn't approve of - but by the time he's asked, the senior recruitment team will have done all the background work.

So the recruitment team are responsible for the analysis, the 'fit', the background checks, the negotiatons etc, and the manager is responsible for getting the most out of the player.

While we're fishing for bargains, both sides must be forgiven for making mistakes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where is [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION]? Banned or hiding?

Moderators decisions.

I'll hazard a guess he's still looking on and a very long list is 'enemies' is being drawn up..

Amazingly though he won't have himself as #1. :lol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think there is more than an echo here with what Southgate has done with England. Picking young, hungry and keen players over older, established (but not really that good) ones. Mr Ashworth obviously had an input, probably at Potter's interview stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here