Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone and Locadia

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's easy for me to see Andone also having a field day yesterday, less so (my man) Big Jurg.
Making Andone's attitude all the more puzzling.

I wonder how happy he'll be with his £40k a week when Connolly is earning double that, and some?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What really surprises me is that I am watching players knock the ball about with the skill and confidence I genuinely didn’t think they had. These players, with the young additions, are unrecognisable from the ones who appeared to shake like a shitting dog when asked to play against the top teams for the last two seasons.

Being a long time Brighton fan I still have a fear that it could all go pear shaped. This is turning into the most exciting Brighton team that I have ever watched and I’m not used to watching us go toe to toe with the big guns. We have faced up to City and Chelsea away playing with belief, OK we didn’t get results but I still loved the way we played. In theory we should get better, how exciting is that!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What really surprises me is that I am watching players knock the ball about with the skill and confidence I genuinely didn’t think they had. These players, with the young additions, are unrecognisable from the ones who appeared to shake like a shitting dog when asked to play against the top teams for the last two seasons.

Being a long time Brighton fan I still have a fear that it could all go pear shaped. This is turning into the most exciting Brighton team that I have ever watched and I’m not used to watching us go toe to toe with the big guns. We have faced up to City and Chelsea away playing with belief, OK we didn’t get results but I still loved the way we played. In theory we should get better, how exciting is that!
I've just read Barney Ronay's piece in The Guardian, he said words to the effect of:-

'It was clear right from the start Spurs weren't going to win this game'.

75 minutes later I was feeling much the same! :lolol:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
The only thing Bloom did wrong was not dumping Hughton earlier. Since then he’s behaved like the born winner he is.

In fact, talking of Hughton I hope he watched the game today and it finally dawned on him why we sacked him. He can forget his “shock and disappointment” at that meeting in May, this shows just how far he ran our team into the ground and how it was allowed to go on far too long. Thank god we’ve got a Premier League manager now.

I suggest you might want to calm the anti Hughton shite a bit, we wouldn't be watching Premier League football if it wasn't for CH. We all know that it went stale towards the end, buy my how soon we forget...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I suggest you might want to calm the anti Hughton shite a bit, we wouldn't be watching Premier League football if it wasn't for CH. We all know that it went stale towards the end, buy my how soon we forget...

Agreed but the vast majority of fans were convinced that we didn’t have the players to compete any other way than we played for the vast majority of the last two years. I too was taken in by this argument. We were a team with a massive inferiority complex from the moment we arrived in this division. In retrospect, harsh as it seems, we should have changed manager much sooner.

Many of us envied the way Bournemouth play but were assured it was because they had better and more expensive players than us rather than they had a manager much better equipped for the Premier League.

CH has a very big part in Albion history and I am not sure I’ll ever have a better moment as an Albion fan than the post Wigan promotion celebrations but the writing was on the wall long before the end of season implosion, that he had taken us as far as he could.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not missing either of them at all. Andone was always a red-card-in-waiting and Locadia was just a plodder. Both were given more than enough chances to shine. Great call by Potter to ship them out.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The last 20 odd games under CH it was just accepted that we would be under the cosh and on the back foot hardly mustering any shots on target whilst trying to keep a tight rear guard but in the end failing. CH knew only 1 way and that was 10 men in or half defending. TB knew the time was right. How many times did he and us turn up at the Amex in the 2nd half of the season already resigned to defeat with few attempts at goal.
This season has been like a breath of fresh air, apart from Chelski we have actually attacked and been unlucky. I know what football I prefer

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed but the vast majority of fans were convinced that we didn’t have the players to compete any other way than we played for the vast majority of the last two years. I too was taken in by this argument. We were a team with a massive inferiority complex from the moment we arrived in this division. In retrospect, harsh as it seems, we should have changed manager much sooner.

Many of us envied the way Bournemouth play but were assured it was because they had better and more expensive players than us rather than they had a manager much better equipped for the Premier League.

CH has a very big part in Albion history and I am not sure I’ll ever have a better moment as an Albion fan than the post Wigan promotion celebrations but the writing was on the wall long before the end of season implosion, that he had taken us as far as he could.

Haven’t read the thread, but my opinion on Hughton has not changed one bit.

The players purchased for him were poor Potter has found the same, and the likes of Locadia has gone and AJ is not getting a look in, even under a more offensive coach. I believe you said in the summer let’s see with the those two......

Coaches like players have different strengths, Hughton’s was/is defending, it is nothing to do with inferiority complex. He clearly liked two banks of four, and counter attacks.

There is nothing wrong with that and it kept us up for two years. Obviously he was a lot more adventurous in the Championship, but even then IMO we were never that fluid offensively, but it was good enough.

Hughton’s weaknesses IMO, were more about his failure to react to different scenarios during games, and his reluctance at having younger players at least on the bench. Though perhaps a year ago, an 18 year old Connolly for example wasn’t deemed ready for men’s football.

As Potter himself has stated he has benefited from Hughton’s work.

In hindsight, if Hughton has stayed perhaps we’d all be wanting him to leave, so maybe the time was right. Maybe he’d have got a striker in the summer - who knows....

Yesterday at times we were more 4-4-2 and that still looks a better fit for me. Something Murphy also picked up on, I’m just not sure Chris would have switched a formation completely.

My only concern with Potter is the whole playing out, and there are simply times when it isn’t right. I guess it remains evolutionary... does he have a Plan B to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

The players purchased for him were poor Potter has found the same, and the likes of Locadia has gone and AJ is not getting a look in, even under a more offensive coach. I believe you said in the summer let’s see with the those two......

Coaches like players have different strengths, Hughton’s was/is defending, it is nothing to do with inferiority complex. He clearly liked two banks of four, and counter attacks.

There is nothing wrong with that and it kept us up for two years. Obviously he was a lot more adventurous in the Championship, but even then IMO we were never that fluid offensively, but it was good enough.

Hughton’s weaknesses IMO, were more about his failure to react to different scenarios during games, and his reluctance at having younger players at least on the bench. Though perhaps a year ago, an 18 year old Connolly for example wasn’t deemed ready for men’s football.

In hindsight, if Hughton has stayed perhaps we’d all be wanting him to leave, so maybe the time was right. Maybe he’d have got a striker in the summer - who knows....

Yesterday at times we were more 4-4-2 and that still looks a better fit for me. Something Murphy also picked up on, I’m just not sure Chris would have switched a formation completely.

My only concern with Potter is the whole playing out, and there are simply times when it isn’t right. I guess it remains evolutionary... does he have a Plan B to that?

We disagree completely on this and I don’t want to come across as slagging CH off. I’ll just say “These are a good team” and “a team at our level” got through to the team. Am I really watching the same players this year?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

This is the post which makes the the sense about the Chris Hughton era. Well put and it is exactly how I feel about the change of manager. He was a legend in my eyes and let's hope the Potter era is as successful, it's looking promising so far with the style of football we have played this season.:clap2:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We disagree completely on this and I don’t want to come across as slagging CH off. I’ll just say “These are a good team” and “a team at our level” got through to the team. Am I really watching the same players this year?

I know and that’s fine [emoji2]. I like our discussions, don’t always have to agree.

Re the players. You are, but they are playing differently, conversely you could argue Duffy looks a lesser player under Potter, as does Bong when he comes on..... (Schelotto will look great as a wing-back [emoji6]).

Similarly, although largely injured Potter doesn’t seem to fancy Bernardo, who I think was excellent under Hughton.

It’s all horses for courses, but neither system is wrong, just different. As per my point even changes in systems won’t help players with lesser ability, and those are seeing less time.... (or being shipped out).

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I know and that’s fine [emoji2]. I like our discussions, don’t always have to agree.

Re the players. You are, but they are playing differently, conversely you could argue Duffy looks a lesser player under Potter, as does Bong when he comes on..... (Schelotto will look great as a wing-back [emoji6]).

Similarly, although largely injured Potter doesn’t seem to fancy Bernardo, who I think was excellent under Hughton.

It’s all horses for courses, but neither system is wrong, just different. As per my point even changes in systems won’t help players with lesser ability, and those are seeing less time.... (or being shipped out). Spot on

Agreed. Makes me wonder if there is room for Bissouma or if Potter might see him as a bit of a liability. I would like to see Bissouma played further forward so not to expose his defensive frailties.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
[MENTION=23066]gulls[/MENTION]worth yes, good point, I wonder about Bissouma, Young and eager but potentially clumsy in possession, which given the emphasis on ball retention may not fit.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You say the players purchased for him but ignore the fact that Hughton was part of the recruitment process and, I seem to recall, was given the final say.

As for styles of play, you only have to compare our approach this year to how we played Spurs last year. Think they were on the back of three defeats and with third choice keeper when we played last year and we sat back and lost. All the pundits said we should have pressed and got in their faces (I know, not CH's style). We may have still lost but that should have been the game plan. Yesterday, we were at them from the off and carried on throughout the game.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

What else did you expect him to say? Seriously.

He's not going to have a public pop at Hughton is he?

What is coming through is that the players are saying how much they are enjoying Potter's approach.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What is coming through is that the players are saying how much they are enjoying Potter's approach.

What else did you expect them to say? Seriously.

What is coming through, for me at least, is that GP feels under no compulsion to play, or even retain, the big money duds that CH was lumbered with. It's much more of a MERITOCRACY now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You say the players purchased for him but ignore the fact that Hughton was part of the recruitment process and, I seem to recall, was given the final say.

As for styles of play, you only have to compare our approach this year to how we played Spurs last year. Think they were on the back of three defeats and with third choice keeper when we played last year and we sat back and lost. All the pundits said we should have pressed and got in their faces (I know, not CH's style). We may have still lost but that should have been the game plan. Yesterday, we were at them from the off and carried on throughout the game.

He was given the final say on a list presented to him to be accurate. Were there better only one of us know, what we do know is what we ended up with was not considered good enough by either Hughton (as he didn’t play them) or Potter.

See my previous posts on styles, Hughton’s was defensive and structured, Potters is offensive and possession based. Neither is right or wrong but unquestionably Potters is more pleasing on the eye, and Hughton’s is stronger defensively.....

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

He's not going to have a public pop at Hughton is he?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

[emoji23][emoji23]
What do you expect the players to say?
They hate it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here