Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And so it starts..

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
Oh dear.
However, I wouldn't put it past the english tabloids to stage a few 'incidents' if the tournament isn't exciting enough for them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting article in The Times by one of their reporters. All their journalists covernig the tournament had to attend a safety briefing before they left for SA. Some of the things they were told:

Don't accept any hotel rooms on the Ground, 1st or 2nd floor, as they are too susceptible to break-ins.

Don't accept any hotel rooms above the 7th floor, as fire engine ladders will not reach.

Take a sturdy door wedge with you to jam under your door as extra protection in case locks are picked.

If you are asked the time, do not look down at your watch - hold your arm up in front of your face so as to be prepared to defend yourself

Try not to stop at traffic lights - try to "drift" towards them and accelerate away when they change

Only drink bottled water, do not open your mouth in the shower

etc.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Its going to hapen a lot more over the next 4 week's, i remember when i was over there last year, i herd on the news that they shot an 18 month baby in the head for a mobile phone!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Excellent work of scaremongering.

There will be muggings etc and every world cup/ Euros but just because this one is in South Africa everyone will be highlighted as a reason why it shouldnt of been held there.

There are dodgy areas in SA but people have been warned about these and if they still go there they deserve anything that happens to them

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting article in The Times by one of their reporters. All their journalists covernig the tournament had to attend a safety briefing before they left for SA. Some of the things they were told:

Don't accept any hotel rooms on the Ground, 1st or 2nd floor, as they are too susceptible to break-ins.

Don't accept any hotel rooms above the 7th floor, as fire engine ladders will not reach.

Take a sturdy door wedge with you to jam under your door as extra protection in case locks are picked.

If you are asked the time, do not look down at your watch - hold your arm up in front of your face so as to be prepared to defend yourself

Try not to stop at traffic lights - try to "drift" towards them and accelerate away when they change

etc.

Would add dress down and leave your bling and Tag Heuers at home

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If you go looking for trouble in S.A you will find it very very easily, if your careful you will be fine.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So how exactly was the journalist robbed at gunpoint ' looking for trouble ' ? how was he not careful ?

I would have thought because he had not arranged for an armed guard to look after him whilst he is there.

The World Cup in SA has all the markings of a political statement that is likely to go very, very wrong. I just hope that England fans are not the victims.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Excellent work of scaremongering.

There will be muggings etc and every world cup/ Euros but just because this one is in South Africa everyone will be highlighted as a reason why it shouldnt of been held there.

There are dodgy areas in SA but people have been warned about these and if they still go there they deserve anything that happens to them

If you go looking for trouble in S.A you will find it very very easily, if your careful you will be fine.

Sorry but that is utter bollocks. Name ONE other World Cup where journalists have been ROBBED in their ROOMS at GUNPOINT. How have they gone "looking for trouble"?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

etc.

Isn't that the norm in Spain/Greece etc? Salt water and all that

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So gun crimes and muggings dont happen everywhere?
Yes they do. But have it your way. The chance of a foreign journalist being held at gunpoint for a mobile phone in his 4 week stay in England in 2018 (if we get it) is near enough a CERTAINTY. :facepalm:

A fact born out by the fact we have 600 murders a year here, whereas South Africa has something absurd like 40,000.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here