And so it starts..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes they do. But have it your way. The chance of a foreign journalist being held at gunpoint for a mobile phone in his 4 week stay in England in 2018 (if we get it) is near enough a CERTAINTY. :facepalm:

A fact born out by the fact we have 600 murders a year here, whereas South Africa has something absurd like 40,000.

Yes I agree it is more likely to happen in SA, but wasnt there an argentina supporter stab to death in england after last world cup?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes I agree it is more likely to happen in SA, but wasnt there an argentina supporter stab to death in england after last world cup?
I don't know and I can't be arsed to argue.

The fact is that SA is a dangerous country, and the precautions that need to be taken are quite extreme for foreigners. Brazilians will be all too aware of course, and joy of joys, that's where the next world cup is going. :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've heard a woman is raped ever 2 minutes in South Africa.

I dunno why she doesn't just emigrate.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

The fact is that SA is a dangerous country, and the precautions that need to be taken are quite extreme for foreigners. Brazilians will be all too aware of course, and joy of joys, that's where the next world cup is going. :facepalm:

I personally am unsure if it should of been held there, I was too young to really remember but I dont recall any trouble During the 95 world cup held and I dont follow cricket that much but was there any trouble for the cricket world cup or the warm up event last year?

This could be a one off, we can only really judge at the end off it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've heard a woman is raped ever 2 minutes in South Africa.

I dunno why she doesn't just emigrate.

Easy you are consistently one of the funniest posters on here but that one smacks of a crap Frankie Boyle style shock joke.

My lowest score ever, 7 thumbs up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its a black mans sport out there, Whites prefer rugby I believe?
Indeed. But you wait, half the crowd for the SA matches will be white South Africans, but next time you watch a game from SA in a few months time, there won't be a white face to be seen.

What will make this more cringeworthy is Clive Tyldsley pointing to the make up of the crowd as evidence of a wonderful rainbow nation.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
"Over 20 million fans flocked to Germany [in 2006] to watch the games"

About 350,000 people are expected to visit South Africa for the World Cup

i know it was in europe in 2006, but i am quite amazed at how few people are going.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Indeed. But you wait, half the crowd for the SA matches will be white South Africans, but next time you watch a game from SA in a few months time, there won't be a white face to be seen.

What will make this more cringeworthy is Clive Tyldsley pointing to the make up of the crowd as evidence of a wonderful rainbow nation.

Will he use the term "long suffering"

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Brazilians will be all too aware of course, and joy of joys, that's where the next world cup is going. :facepalm:

i think this is going to nail on our bid. after the catastrophuck of brazil and s africa, fifa will be desperate to host it in a safe place (and i mean safe in terms of everything, revenue, attendence, etc.). japan, s korea and usa have all had it too recently, and the pigs economies will be too ruined by the time bidding comes round. australia maybe have a shout but that will mean three consecutive cups in the southern hemisphere (which might count for something?).

get ready for england 2018. :thumbsup:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

Brazil is safer than South Africa.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
i think this is going to nail on our bid. after the catastrophuck of brazil and s africa, fifa will be desperate to host it in a safe place (and i mean safe in terms of everything, revenue, attendence, etc.). japan, s korea and usa have all had it too recently, and the pigs economies will be too ruined by the time bidding comes round. australia maybe have a shout but that will mean three consecutive cups in the southern hemisphere (which might count for something?).

get ready for england 2018. :thumbsup:
who are we in competition with for 2018 ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brazil is safer than South Africa.
I'm really not sure. Possibly, but all the criminal gangs in the favelas in Brazil are running round with AK-47s and there are frequent reports of accidental shootings across motorways that border these shanty areas. Brazil is the least safe S American country, except, arguably, Colombia.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Theres nothing wrong with the water in South Africa, according to my Lonely Planet guide anyway. Plus I've had that confirmed elsewhere too.

Of course, perhaps drinking water from the open sewers of the some of the townships would be a bad thing to do. But I can't imagine Times journos being that thick, can I ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It happens in every country....

Agreed. Ive spent a considerable amount of time in S.A and i havent seen any trouble was my point, i could find it in 5 mins if i wanted to, like any other country was my point.

S.A is not any different to USA for example in my opinion.

There will always be isolated incidents surrounding a world cup, you can bet your life the press will have a field day with anything like this in S.A though.

I really hope this World Cup is a well behaved one. fingers crossed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports