And so it starts..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Agreed. Ive spent a considerable amount of time in S.A and i havent seen any trouble was my point, i could find it in 5 mins if i wanted to, like any other country was my point.

S.A is not any different to USA for example in my opinion.

There will always be isolated incidents surrounding a world cup, you can bet your life the press will have a field day with anything like this in S.A though.

I really hope this World Cup is a well behaved one. fingers crossed.

So the stories of traders having their things in a shopping trolly complete with an AK47 to protect them are lies?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
BBC News - World Cup reporters 'robbed at gunpoint'

Gonna be a raft if these incidents making headline news over the next month.

It wouldn't surprise me if the gunman was a journo the press are so hysterical about wanting this story to happen!! By local standrds this just ain't news. If fan was killed it might get in the in-brief column. If he was raped before being murdered it might get a paragraph after the tv guide for that days news. Really though it's the equivalent of fans coming here in 2018 and getting pickpocketed in trafalgar square.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It wouldn't surprise me if the gunman was a journo the press are so hysterical about wanting this story to happen!! By local standrds this just ain't news. If fan was killed it might get in the in-brief column. If he was raped before being murdered it might get a paragraph after the tv guide for that days news. Really though it's the equivalent of fans coming here in 2018 and getting pickpocketed in trafalgar square.

Sorry, I do not get your point. Are you saying because SA is close to lawlessness, then their robery at gun point is as trivial as someone having their pocket dipped?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sorry, I do not get your point. Are you saying because SA is close to lawlessness, then their robery at gun point is as trivial as someone having their pocket dipped?

Yes - see, you did get it afterall. Not as dim as you think you are:thumbsup:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Meanwhile in the UK, sicko child killer Roy Whiting has his sentence reduced by 10 years after killing young Sarah Payne!!

What's your point?!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They did host the Rugby World Cup perfectly successfully a few years back.

I don't remember the England rugby officials making too much of a fuss over safety.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Oh and I don't remember hearing "In Johannesburgh today, a Taxi driver went on the rampage needlessly killing people at point blank range with a loaded gun"

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Brazil is safer than South Africa.

substantiate this point? and without giving the same olde fact regarding the murder rate!! The brazillian slums(similar to the South African Townships) are shockingly dangerous and have an awful crime rate and the WC will be just as dodgy there,especially between cities! my gf's sister has recently been to Cape Town for New Years Eve and Rio for Carnival and said Brazil was a lot,lot scarier

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There are parts of Johannesburg that tourists wouldn't necessarily want to be stuck in.

Then again, would you direct a visitor to the UK to wander round Moss Side, or Tower Hamlets, or Toxteth?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Brazil and a lot of the South American countries would be similar with regards to safety, in my opinion. Wherever you come across such close proximity of rich and poverty you will find high crime rates.

I've never seen one spot if trouble in South Africa. I was as careful as I would be in London or Birmingham for example.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Brazil and a lot of the South American countries would be similar with regards to safety, in my opinion. Wherever you come across such close proximity of rich and poverty you will find high crime rates.

I've never seen one spot if trouble in South Africa. I was as careful as I would be in London or Birmingham for example.

Yep, it's all relative. When staying with family in Pretoria we were told be careful, not paranoid. Drove from north to south, remore parts of KZN etc and never saw more than a car breakin. Which happens in supermarket car parks up and down the country every day in the UK.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
so, how much backhabders did FIFA take, to give Bafana (??) the nod..?

Well however much it was, it backfired because FIFA had to bail out our hosts last minute to ensure the stadiums were finished in time. And we're talking a bit more than a few quid.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire

There is a nice youtube vid of murdered farmers. I wouldn't post it here as its too horrific.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Yes - see, you did get it afterall. Not as dim as you think you are:thumbsup:

Me dim? At least I did not make such a f***ing stupid comment as yours!

I must admit I have never been (nor would ever go untill it is governed properly again), but I have many friends who have been there (sports tours, Rugby World Cup etc.) and another who lived there but moved to the UK because of the state of SA now, but still returns to stay with friends from time to time. They all talk about the robbery and gun culture there, and fear for what may happen during the worls cup with so many fans there. Time will tell.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Spain and Portugal (joint), Russia, Australia - think there are more but these seem to be the other front runners.
Not anymore - Australia are now gone for 2018 for sure after their own Confederation's vote went to Europe yesterday - Asia clearly not impressed with the Socceroos joining their confederation and then cruisng through their first set of World Cup qualifiers without breaking a sweat and dudding a true Asian no hoper of qualifying.
Frank Lowy reckons we're now a shoe-in for 2020 though....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is a nice youtube vid of murdered farmers. I wouldn't post it here as its too horrific.

As, presumably, would be any video of the Cumbrian farmer who was murdered last week, or the Cumbrian taxi driver, or the Cumbrian old people walking across the bridge. Or the kid stabbed to death near Victoria Station. Or any number of London residents/visitors mugged for their Rolexes or iPods in recent years.

I'm not saying SA doesn't have problems. But there is a chance of being done over wherever you are in the world, and it feels like the media in particular are just waiting for the chance to write up SA as a disaster, for an incident that wouldn't have even made the newspapers if it happened at the Germany, Japan, France, USA World Cups etc.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
As, presumably, would be any video of the Cumbrian farmer who was murdered last week, or the Cumbrian taxi driver, or the Cumbrian old people walking across the bridge. Or the kid stabbed to death near Victoria Station. Or any number of London residents/visitors mugged for their Rolexes or iPods in recent years.

I'm not saying SA doesn't have problems. But there is a chance of being done over wherever you are in the world, and it feels like the media in particular are just waiting for the chance to write up SA as a disaster, for an incident that wouldn't have even made the newspapers if it happened at the Germany, Japan, France, USA World Cups etc.

How many farmers have been murdered sine the end of apartheid?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports