Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An amusing Pardew story

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He did resign from Newcastl before signing for Palace
How does that work? His resignation wouldn't be accepted unless the release fee is paid, and Palace won't pay that until Pardew signs a contract with them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
How does that work? His resignation wouldn't be accepted unless the release fee is paid, and Palace won't pay that until Pardew signs a contract with them.

He can't have a signed contract for two clubs at the same time, so he must resign from Newcastle before he signs for Palace surely. I imagine its the same as a house purchase where a third party holds the money

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He can't have a signed contract for two clubs at the same time, so he must resign from Newcastle before he signs for Palace surely. I imagine its the same as a house purchase where a third party holds the money
With a house purchase you sign to buy, and you sign to sell, but neither happen until your conveyancer agrees with the other etc. A manager could sign a new contract, subject to some conditions etc. But what Pardew couldn't do, was just resign and not have anything to do with Newcastle anymore, until Palace paid Newcastle the agreed fee.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Now, I can't vouch for the truthfulness of this story, but I was told by a friend with good links to some ex pro footballers, who relayed the story to him. Apparently, Ashley at Newcastle was looking for an excuse to bin Alan, but didnt want to pay off his contract, bonuses etc. The Palace hierarchy asked for permission to speak to Pardew, and Ashley couldn't give his consent soon enough. Parrish promised Pardew the earth, huge bonus, big pot of cash for players etc,so Pardew tells Ashley he's leaving Newcastle, and moving to Croydon, Ashley okays the deal for 2mill in compensation, and he doesn't have to pay Pardew any bonuses etc that he has acrued. So far, so good, Alan goes back to Palace, saying "I'm your man, wheres the contract?" to which, Parrih says theres been a slight change of plan, and gives him a contract that is nowhere near as good as the one he'd previously looked at, and if palace go down, he would be one of the least payed managers in the Championship.
Having burnt his bridges at Newcastle, and not being the most popular man in football, Pardew has no option but to sign, the new contract, or be out of a Premier League job, with no prospect of another one any time soon.
As I said at the start of this story, I have no way of telling how true this is, but I was told it is causing considerable mirth in football circles, as Pardew is really not liked at all
Makes no sense. These guys don't need the money.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
For £3.5M they surely could have kept Pulis at the start of the season, add in Colin's Compo this is pure stupidity - lovely stuff!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
As I say, I can't vouch for the authenticity of the story, but it was told to me by someone who has no need to make it up, and it was told to him by a certain ex player with links to us, and West Ham who is not Pardew greatest fan. He also said the hold up with announcing Hughton for us, was down to contract length and nothing else

George Parris then .

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Utter drivel. The hold up on the announcement is because we're trying to take more of the backroom staff at St. James' Park including their performance analyst but Ashley is playing hardball.

Pardew met the players after the game yesterday and was at the training ground today, he'll also be taking training tomorrow. This is done and dusted :clap:

Good, I'm pleased. No really, I will be very pleased if this all goes through, happy as fxxkin Larry if the truth be told!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
£3.5M!! There is going to be a minutes laughter before kick off at most grounds tomorrow with that amount paid for him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here