Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex-The Grand Opening

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Get the Noddy stuff out of the way early, ie in the friendly, so the team can concentrate on three points in the first proper game.
Agreed. Get all the hoopla out of the way at a specific opening event. The first competitive game at the Amex will be special enough anyway without needing to have Peter Ward cutting a ribbon across the North Stand goal or something.

Having it separate also means that the two events don't 'clash'. One of the reasons for going to the Spurs game will be to see all the legends, it will be a major part of the event - unlike the match itself which will be an irrelevant sideshow (Except of course for those who think pre-season results are important). For the first league game the parade bit would be the sideshow, a bit like the opening ceremony for the World Cup which we patiently endure whilst waiting for the opening game.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not going to the Sussex Senior Cup Final with 10,000 rattling around in it, and I'm not going to some overpriced meaningless friendly either. And as far as I'm concerned, it is cricket season now anyway. They can do what they like, as long as the Amex is packed to the rafters on the 6th August weekend and I'm one of those in attendance, but until then I'm not interested. :thumbsup:

I can't be the only one who feels like this...

this :thumbsup:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Aug 6th is all about the Championship and the league so all the chronies etc should have had their 15 minutes of fame by then.

I genuinely don't know what chronies are.

("Give a big hand to the man who scored the last goal at the Albion's first ground... it's all time favourite chronie Stuart Storer..." No, doesn't work for me.)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So the parade of Legends will be at the game v Spuds. All the celebritions etc will take place in front of a reduced home support and most likely 2,000 Spud fans. What do you think?
To be honest I think that even if the Parade of Legends took place on the sold-out first league game it would still actually be in front of 'reduced home support' as people will still be in the bars and restaurants. And there will still be 2000 away fans whenever it takes place.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'm not going to the Sussex Senior Cup Final with 10,000 rattling around in it, and I'm not going to some overpriced meaningless friendly either. And as far as I'm concerned, it is cricket season now anyway. They can do what they like, as long as the Amex is packed to the rafters on the 6th August weekend and I'm one of those in attendance, but until then I'm not interested. :thumbsup:

I can't be the only one who feels like this...

Yep, that's me. Good point about cricket season

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The friendly game is to be the official opening, so this would be the best time to do it. The first league game will be a massive occasion, but the main focus should be on winning 3 points, nothing else.

Nonsense! A friendly is just a meaningless ramp up event.

The FIRST official game should a HUGE CELEBRATION (including the parade of legends - I fully expect to shake Vaslur Gislaisson's hand during this!) from 1pm to 2.30pm and then we can settle down to the important business of starting the seaon at the top of the Championship

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

The FIRST official game should a HUGE CELEBRATION (including the parade of legends - I fully expect to shake Vaslur Gislaisson's hand during this!) from 1pm to 2.30pm and then we can settle down to the important business of starting the seaon at the top of the Championship

It's not Nonsense at all is it. It is Opinion. In my opinion the first league game should be just that, not a bloody carnival/circus...........We have Spurs coming for that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
When the club has to limit capacity at the first league game due to too few turning up to the ramp-up events, it had better be those that don't go to these that have their tickets blocked.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

the first league game has to be about winning three points.

NOTHING else

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Likewise

The Goldstone wasn't the first ground

Fair enough, there were some games at the County Ground between the Albion being named and the Goldstone being opened. Apologies. I still don't know if Stuart Storer is a chronie though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it would be a shame if all the pomp and ceremony took place during either or both of the ramp-up events for the simple fact that not all of those who have committed to buying a season ticket will be able to get to these games due to the restricted capacity (not "can't be arsed" availability).

The squad themselves should, rightly, be largely isolated from any brouhaha on August 6th (or thereabouts) but there needs to be some sort of recognition that the day marks the real arrival of the Albion, and all of us for that matter, at our new home. It will be the first entry of any note into the record books of Brighton & Hove Albion playing a fixture at the American Express Community Stadium.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not too fussed about the Parade of Legends as long as Dick Knight, Martin Perry and Tony Bloom get equal and magnificent praise - and they in turn present anyone who ever went to Withdean with a MEDAL

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
When the club has to limit capacity at the first league game due to too few turning up to the ramp-up events, it had better be those that don't go to these that have their tickets blocked.

there is absolutely NO WAY that will happen

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Fair enough, there were some games at the County Ground between the Albion being named and the Goldstone being opened. Apologies. I still don't know if Stuart Storer is a chronie though.

noun
[mass noun] derogatory
the appointment of friends and associates to positions of authority, without proper regard to their qualifications.

I think the qualification as defned here is inappropriate for Mr Strorer

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
QUOTE=severnside gull;4114669]the first league game has to be about winning three points.

NOTHING else[/QUOTE]

after 3pm deffo
up to 2.30 we are in purely celebratory mode because WE HAVE WON

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Not really bothered who we are playing in the friendly......but I'm impatient. I want to get in that stadium as soon as possible. If they are going to parade legends etc...that is just a bonus.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Aug 6th is all about the Championship and the league so all the chronies etc should have had their 15 minutes of fame by then.

It's all right. The Chronies are an Indie band from Iowa. I'm not bothering to turn up if they're the only attraction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here