AMEX soft drink mark-up

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Odeon Brighton never check. And the staff wear name badges with their favourite film on. Nice touch.

Was gunna say, never had an issue at the odeon.

The cinema up here is even better, they don't even carry out a mild check. Walked in with tubes of pringles and 1.5 litre bottles of coke recently, saves a bomb.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Tel you what, lets scrap food outlets at the Amex and just slap 20% on the ticket prices.
That way the club won't lose any income.
Ah, then maybe, less people will attend matches.

No one forces you to buy the food and drink - if it's too expensive, then don't buy, but please don't bleat about it.

D

Deleted member 18477

Better still, they could just go 90 minutes without eating any sweets at all, rather than sitting right behind ME rustling wrappers all the way through the film. The pricks.

haha yes that would be ideal. popcorn is as bad.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Too f***ing right. Have you ever tried taking your own sweets to the cinema? Don't - the staff (certainly in the Chichester Cineworld) are like the bloody SS. I just give going to the cinema a swerve now.

I always take my own sweets to the cinema never had any problem!

Lychpole

Mar 2, 2009
Too f***ing right. Have you ever tried taking your own sweets to the cinema? Don't - the staff (certainly in the Chichester Cineworld) are like the bloody SS. I just give going to the cinema a swerve now.

Me and girlfriend have a Cineworld Unlimited Card,£14.99 a month and watch as many movies as you like-good value as 1 film alone is £8.80. Regarding sweets,we go to Poundland and stock up,fortunatly gf has a big hand bag and we have never been stopped/searched once in just over a year we have been members at Chichester.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The cinema is expensive but the way films make money is strange. Films don't really make profit themselves, that sounds strange but technically and for legal purposes they cannot show a profit on the actual product as in strict terms they don't have a tangible product as such, the distribution companies are the profit making entity. In order to make this profit they charge cinemas and rental outlets extortinate amounts to buy the temporary rights to rent or screen the film. Blockbuster ran into bother a few years back for refusing to pay Warner Bros fees. Cinemas lose money on buying the rights to screen films so they try and recoup the costs by essentially becoming retail outlets, hence the sky high costs of sundries. It's not really the cinema's fault in that sense, if they didn't charge these food prices they couldn't afford to be run basically. Doesn't make it easier on the customer but it is the reason.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The cinema is expensive but the way films make money is strange. Films don't really make profit themselves, that sounds strange but technically and for legal purposes they cannot show a profit on the actual product as in strict terms they don't have a tangible product as such, the distribution companies are the profit making entity. In order to make this profit they charge cinemas and rental outlets extortinate amounts to buy the temporary rights to rent or screen the film. Blockbuster ran into bother a few years back for refusing to pay Warner Bros fees. Cinemas lose money on buying the rights to screen films so they try and recoup the costs by essentially becoming retail outlets, hence the sky high costs of sundries. It's not really the cinema's fault in that sense, if they didn't charge these food prices they couldn't afford to be run basically. Doesn't make it easier on the customer but it is the reason.

Well thank goodness there are still enough people out there willing to subsidise my cinema tickets by stuffing their faces with expensive sweets, drinks etc...

If they all stopped, then presumably a cinema ticket would have to be something like £12+. Ouch!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Maybe I am just tight, but I thought I'd calculate the profit mark-up on soft drinks sold in the East Stand brasserie bar.

J20 £3 wholesale 75p = 525%
Pepsi 200ml bottle £2.50 wholesale 41p = 610%

This is without bulkbuy purchasing power, just based on an internet small order price. Now I know there are staff costs etc. but am I alone in thinking we are being ripped off? Don't be too grateful for the 10% you get back on your smartcard prepay.

PG

Sorry, have to query the figures :)

Firstly the amex prices are retail and include VAT. The wholesale ones possibly don't as these are usually quoted exclusive.

But even if they were both net of VAT prices I come up with mark up of 300% and 510% respectively.

That's not detracting from the fact that the mark ups appear high but supply and demand dictate that they can get away with it.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
That's funny. I was also about to mention that 20% VAT was missing.
The reason they are so expensive is because beer (and the government's duty escalator) is making things rediculously expensive. The burden is being spread across the board to prevent people moaning that their pint has increased by 35p in a couple of months time when the breweries hike up the cost which will be followed by the budget.
A pub's GP of 55% on draught beer isn't enough so they make 80% on softs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports