Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX soft drink mark-up

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Maybe I am just tight, but I thought I'd calculate the profit mark-up on soft drinks sold in the East Stand brasserie bar.

J20 £3 wholesale 75p = 525%
Pepsi 200ml bottle £2.50 wholesale 41p = 610%

This is without bulkbuy purchasing power, just based on an internet small order price. Now I know there are staff costs etc. but am I alone in thinking we are being ripped off? Don't be too grateful for the 10% you get back on your smartcard prepay.

PG

Maybe I am just tight, but I thought I'd calculate the profit mark-up on soft drinks sold in the East Stand brasserie bar.

This is without bulkbuy purchasing power, just based on an internet small order price. Now I know there are staff costs etc. but am I alone in thinking we are being ripped off? Don't be too grateful for the 10% you get back on your smartcard prepay.

PG

barbie?

Dec 29, 2011

PG
I imagine it's like that in most entertainment centres across the country. O2 arena, Thorpe Park etc. If the demand is there they will sell at that price. I've never bough anything from the Amex because it's a rip off, just take a bottle of coke in your bag next time and avoid the large fees.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's always been this way.

Pubs make more money from soft drinks than they do alcohol.

D

Deleted member 18477

Soft drinks are expensive everywhere. A coke in a pub these days is £2+.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The cola that is on tap is probably an even bigger rip-off, but no different to anywhere else as has been said.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
The cola that is on tap is probably an even bigger rip-off, but no different to anywhere else as has been said.

£1 for a J20 in Wetherspoons! If only they had one in Haywards Heath :moo:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Soft drinks are expensive everywhere. A coke in a pub these days is £2+.

It's gone now but I remember going in the green jacket in shoreham a few years back and the bloke was trying to charge me £3 for a pint of lime & soda ( Er don't think so mate I think was my reply ) not surprised it shut down

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Be grateful of the prices at the Amex, have you been to the cinema lately? Daylight bloody robbery - an average portion of postmix costs in the region of 6p per serving, and Cineworld are pumping a MEDIUM out at £2.90.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's always been this way.

Pubs make more money from soft drinks than they do alcohol.

Indeed, a landlord I once knew said he bought cola concentrate at about £3 a gallon....that made him about £100 before it ran out.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Be grateful of the prices at the Amex, have you been to the cinema lately? Daylight bloody robbery - an average portion of postmix costs in the region of 6p per serving, and Cineworld are pumping a MEDIUM out at £2.90.

I can't believe people actually pay these prices at the cinema it's expensive enough just to see the bloody film let alone £4 for popcorn £3 coke
Film = £8.50
Popcorn = £4
coke =£ 3
family of four roughly adds up to £60 to watch a 85 minute cartoon fooking Goody A

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I can't believe people actually pay these prices at the cinema it's expensive enough just to see the bloody film let alone £4 for popcorn £3 coke
Film = £8.50
Popcorn = £4
coke =£ 3
family of four roughly adds up to £60 to watch a 85 minute cartoon fooking Goody A

Too f***ing right. Have you ever tried taking your own sweets to the cinema? Don't - the staff (certainly in the Chichester Cineworld) are like the bloody SS. I just give going to the cinema a swerve now.

D

Deleted member 18477

It's gone now but I remember going in the green jacket in shoreham a few years back and the bloke was trying to charge me £3 for a pint of lime & soda ( Er don't think so mate I think was my reply ) not surprised it shut down

What a cock he must have been. Lime and soda is usually about 60p. Use to be 20p!

D

Deleted member 18477

Too f***ing right. Have you ever tried taking your own sweets to the cinema? Don't - the staff (certainly in the Chichester Cineworld) are like the bloody SS. I just give going to the cinema a swerve now.

Not that i take sweets but Erm you could put them in your coat pocket? In the summer its harder but I'd just take a different shape pack if I was that desperate (single pack of wine gums, fruit pastilles etc.)...I'd never pay there rip of prices thought in the cinema. Bloody joke!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea

Odeon Brighton never check. And the staff wear name badges with their favourite film on. Nice touch.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
You can buy a bottle of JD from a supermarket at £14 and get 30 odd shots out of it and say £2.50-£3 a shot in a pub. What's your point?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

PG

Given the current economic situation you are not tight, everyone questions costs of everything these days looking at what is value for money.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Odeon Brighton never check. And the staff wear name badges with their favourite film on. Nice touch.

Instant way to judge their character :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here