Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX soft drink mark-up

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I used to work in a restaurant where we had fizzy drinks on a pump, cost price was 6p per pint and we charged £2 each. Drinks are always incredibly expensive and food makes a good profit line as well, I don't know of any restaurants or food outlets that have closed from the recession so even when people are skint they will still buy food and drink at top prices

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Before home games I go to Savers for bottles of Pepsi for 39p saves me £4 for two bottles every home game.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Be grateful of the prices at the Amex, have you been to the cinema lately? Daylight bloody robbery - an average portion of postmix costs in the region of 6p per serving, and Cineworld are pumping a MEDIUM out at £2.90.

The O2 charges £4.20 for a pint of Beck's Vier, which is about as far from a pint of genuine German beer as you can get and tastes like diluted washing up liquid. And I was charged £4.40 in an O'Neills in W1 for a large cranberry and orange (yes I know it wouldn't be one's normal choice but I was driving later). Mind you, I can't understand why when the caterers at Withdean charged £1.50 for water and Fanta, it is £1.60 for water, but £2.20 for Fanta, etc, at the Amex.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
The O2 charges £4.20 for a pint of Beck's Vier, which is about as far from a pint of genuine German beer as you can get and tastes like diluted washing up liquid. And I was charged £4.40 in an O'Neills in W1 for a large cranberry and orange (yes I know it wouldn't be one's normal choice but I was driving later). Mind you, I can't understand why when the caterers at Withdean charged £1.50 for water and Fanta, it is £1.60 for water, but £2.20 for Fanta, etc, at the Amex.

Wembley Arena was charging £4.50 for Becks on Sat. Think it was £2 for small bottle of water

Given the current economic situation you are not tight, everyone questions costs of everything these days looking at what is value for money.
and if it is not value for money then it simply MUST NOT be bought, you can't buy it and then complain, I agree with the OP though. I often take a young child so I simply take an assortment of the sort of shite he might want, purchased from the £ shop where you get 24 in a packet for what you pay at Falmer for 1. I thought the catering at Withdean was pony in 1999 so I went 10 years without ever buying any food or drink in the ground, it wasn't hard

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not that i take sweets but Erm you could put them in your coat pocket? In the summer its harder but I'd just take a different shape pack if I was that desperate (single pack of wine gums, fruit pastilles etc.)...I'd never pay there rip of prices thought in the cinema. Bloody joke!

Better still, they could just go 90 minutes without eating any sweets at all, rather than sitting right behind ME rustling wrappers all the way through the film. The pricks.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
So people agree that it is a rip-off and either (a) don't buy it or (b) say it's the same everywhere deal with it.

Fair enough. But I guess my point is that the AMEX brands itself as a Community Stadium (when it suits it in PR terms) but yet the Community (ie the fans) are milked for every penny. Cineworld doesn't brand itself as a Community Cinema, nor bars as Community Pubs. The community cinema in Lewes (at the All Saints Centre) offers cakes, coffee, wine/beer at very reasonable prices. Lewes CFC Harveys is a £1 cheaper than the Amex, they sell lemonade behind the bar for a £1. Am I being completely naive or should we be holding the club to the principles we all fought for? Given that the new tender for the catering contract is being drawn up, now would be the time to lobby for the fans to share in the financial succes that is the Amex, in the form of lower prices.

PG

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I can't believe we're 30 replies into a thread about drinks on a licensed premises and Ben's Grandad hasn't bored the tits off us with his input.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
So people agree that it is a rip-off and either (a) don't buy it or (b) say it's the same everywhere deal with it.

Fair enough. But I guess my point is that the AMEX brands itself as a Community Stadium (when it suits it in PR terms) but yet the Community (ie the fans) are milked for every penny. Cineworld doesn't brand itself as a Community Cinema, nor bars as Community Pubs. The community cinema in Lewes (at the All Saints Centre) offers cakes, coffee, wine/beer at very reasonable prices. Lewes CFC Harveys is a £1 cheaper than the Amex, they sell lemonade behind the bar for a £1. Am I being completely naive or should we be holding the club to the principles we all fought for? Given that the new tender for the catering contract is being drawn up, now would be the time to lobby for the fans to share in the financial succes that is the Amex, in the form of lower prices.

PG

The problem is, if we want to pay the same price as we would at the church hall for a community event, we will end with a playing squad to match.

If we want Premier football, we have to pay the going rate for it

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

PG

If you think that is bad, it's £1.50 for a cup of tea, and you can buy 460 teabags from Tesco for £7.50, which works out as 1.6 pence each. Even if you throw in 5p for milk and sugar it's criminal, but at Old Trafford the Glazer twats charge £2.50 for the same!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The problem is, if we want to pay the same price as we would at the church hall for a community event, we will end with a playing squad to match.

..........did you see the quality of our finishing on Saturday :cry:

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I can't believe we're 30 replies into a thread about drinks on a licensed premises and Ben's Grandad hasn't bored the tits off us with his input.

I expect he is busy listening to his son tell him how he heard a rumour last night that we are about to sign Beckham

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have you ever tried taking your own sweets to the cinema? Don't - the staff (certainly in the Chichester Cineworld) are like the bloody SS.
Went to the cinema (marina) for the first time in years in a few weeks ago, took the works in with us (popcorn, m&ms etc).

I take things into the Amex every single week too (for the kids), but I normally buy a pie so I don't feel guilty. Talking of pies, I bought one at Palace (I was desperate) - wow, that was disgusting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here