Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex - preferred neutral venue

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The latest desperate measure by the EPL to get its money and obligations to the companies who pay them fulfilled. The political backlash on politicians for sanctioning this would be immense as the general public would be rightly outraged that a small pressure group, EPL, would be able to override public safety. As I said on another thread the resources that would need to be diverted to make this happen in the shape of testing and emergency services to administer would be unacceptable to the vast majority of the general public.
Also what message does it give to those front line emergency services working so hard if they see this going ahead? A real kick in the teeth. Football will be reviled if this goes ahead by the majority of the public.
Stop all this nonsense now and cancel the season.

How would public safety be jeopardised if games played with No public there ? Why do you think it gives emergency services a kick in the teeth ? What resources would need to be diverted ?
I think the Premier League teams have enough resources of their own to enable regular testing. I`m sure the vast majority of the public would see it as a small step in the direction of normality.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How would public safety be jeopardised if games played with No public there ? Why do you think it gives emergency services a kick in the teeth ? What resources would need to be diverted ?
I think the Premier League teams have enough resources of their own to enable regular testing. I`m sure the vast majority of the public would see it as a small step in the direction of normality.

Brighton, Villa and Norwich fans would disagree with all your points :whistle:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nothing. Apart from absolutely everything? :shrug:

Not at all. The season ticket list is irrelevant. Simply melted away at the first sign of trouble? Give me a break, a once in a hundred year event that has shaken the entire planet. I would imagine that many clubs are having problems getting people to commit to next year's season.

And it still has absolutely nothing to do with playing the rest of this season at neutral venues.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The way the PL is scrambling to protect its interests is pretty risible.

Maybe the bubble needed bursting.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here is another reason why it won't happen.

How many actual games are there left? It is an average of 9 each. So that equals 9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1=43 games. (note, every team having 9 games left does not mean 9x20=180 games).

If 4 venues are picked (which is what the OP suggests - and I assume all 4 to be used) that's 10 or 11 games per venue.

If the idea is to put five teams in each venue (4 x 5 = 20) so they can all play each other there and not have to flit around the country this will only work if all those 5 teams' remaining fixtures are only against each other. One look at the fixture list shows this is not the case. Indeed, obviously, each of the 20 teams has one fixture against nine different sides - that's how the fixtures in the second half of the season are scheduled.

This means that every team will have to move around the country to complete all their remaining fixtures. I am not sure if it possible to arrange for any one team to have to play in as few as 3 venues. It is mathematically impossible. That kicks the whole plan into the realms of futility.

And that's before the fairness of the cut, order of the fixtures (which would have to be changed to minimise the moving about) etc are factored in.

No, no, this will never happen and those in the EPL mooting it clearly have no idea about anything, and should do us all a favour and shut the **** up. Now. Right now. Get right in the sea!

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Why is anybody wasting their time with this totally pointless charade?!

The season is over, they should be concentrating their efforts on quickly working out, holding a vote or whatever on what happens now - voiding/average points per game/halfway stage positions etc and then planning for the start of the next season be that this September, January 2021, August 2021 or when ever it is safe and practical to do so.

This ‘Project Restart’ thing is just total, desperate bollocks. Classic premier league though giving it a ridiculous name thought up by some dick in an expensive marketing department.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On the flip side of course, is tha we are used to playing on our own pitch as we do it week in week out, other clubs won't be.

Might give us a small advantage? . . . might not of course.

I think you may have misunderstood. I don't think the proposal is for all 92 remaining fixtures to be played in one location, let alone the Amex.

Apologies if I have misunderstood. If I have it would explain why someone mentioned that the pitch would be destroyed (as I assume the plan would have to be to play 2 games each day over 46 days). If Frankie Howard was alive today, he'd turn in his grave.

Edit, yes, according to the OP four stadia are being lined up (I assume this means all four will be used, with 23 games held in each, probably one game a day).

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
What would happen if certain players refused to play because it was in their opinion too much of a risk to play and not appropriate in the current situation with people losing their lives?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
What would happen if certain players refused to play because it was in their opinion too much of a risk to play and not appropriate in the current situation with people losing their lives?

Simple answer...They wouldn`t be playing if they refused to play .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the daftest idea that I have ever heard of

You can't use Neutral Venues

That means teams would need to travel.
Hotels would need to open to accommodate them. Hotels would need to be staffed and restaurants in the hotels opened to prepare food. The staff would be coming from their homes travelling on Public Transport and potentially picking up the Virus and passing it on.

The same would apply to any team travelling if they were the away side. If they are going to play the matches then you cut down the risk by 50% if you only have one team travelling. It is a totally idiotic idea to increase the risk by having two sides travelling for every match that is played.

Exactly. As I explain in more detail above.

Reminds me of designs for perpetual motion machines, instant water (just add water), and explanation of how pyramid selling is ethical. :lolol:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Here is another reason why it won't happen.

How many actual games are there left? It is an average of 9 each. So that equals 9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1=43 games. (note, every team having 9 games left does not mean 9x20=180 games).

Your maths is way off. There are a total of 92 games left to be played. 16 of the teams have played 29 times and 4 have played 28 times, so a total of 288 fixtures have been completed. A full season is 380 games so there are 92 left.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's 92 games left, mr Professor...

OK. I didn't bother checking. It has no effect on my analysis, though, apart from making it even more clear that the plan cannot work.

ps - Note to conspiracy theorist - don't sweat the small stuff.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
This will never get sanctioned by HMG; if it's ok for 22 blokes to congregate at the amex for a game, why isn't it ok for 22 different blokes to meet in Stanmer park for a kick about ? Or for village cricket to go ahead ?
I know they argument is that they will all be quarantined for a fortnight beforehand and the whole thing will play out in a bubble but it only takes a knob like Jack Grealish or Kyle Walker to break their quarantine and catch the virus and the whole lot of them are buggered.

Far better to suspend/abort the 20/21 season and play the remaining fixtures for this season when safe to do so; if that means suspending/aborting 21/22 as well, then so be it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here