Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Amazon Prime Tech stuff - watching experience

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Watched it on my laptop - i have terrible internet but it held up alright, few times it went blurry but thats more down to my place than Amazon's offering. No issues for me otherwise.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Son had tv in his bedroom watching 4K ....i had tv on in lounge whilst occasionally popping out to kitchen re my supper and used the iPad...all streamed..only problem i had was with the iPad..blurry for about 30 seconds ..then no problem whatsoever.
The only problem I foresee is on Boxing Day ....i can watch live football nearly all day...oh dear

And it will be blurry for more than 30 seconds...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have been a great fan of Amazon Prime for a while, what with there next day/same day delivery service.

They have now surpassed themselves by offering Brighton fans a "beat a top 6 side away" service - perfect!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watched it on my laptop - i have terrible internet but it held up alright, few times it went blurry but thats more down to my place than Amazon's offering. No issues for me otherwise.

Apparently that wont be a problem if Corbyn wins the GE, the only problem will be if anything goes wrong you wont be able to afford to repair or replace it.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
choppy on laptop connected to TV through HDMI, noticeably worse than illegal streams with the same setup.

however crystal clear with the amazon app on PS4

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Apparently that wont be a problem if Corbyn wins the GE, the only problem will be if anything goes wrong you wont be able to afford to repair or replace it.

This isn't about politics, go browse the GE thread on your Omsong.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Interesting that no one has reported sound quality issues.

Quite a few people commenting that the picture was a bit poor at first, but soon got better. This is to be expected, this is to build up a buffer, to cope with any intermittent network delays. The length of the delay is representative of the quality of your network connection. A short delay means less is buffering, meaning the connection appears to be good. Not altogether helpful if you then lose the connection 10 minutes later.

Turning off alerts is an interesting one. I thought I had missed the sending off on Tuesday night, but still had time to get myself settled in for the coming red card, not every alert is a spoiler.

I mentioned sound, when I had a BT Internet connection, I would often get sound issues on Netflix on a Saturday night. Basically the signal was supposed to be sending a variant of digital surround sound, but when the network was busy, it would fall back to Stereo. My fancy surround sound box would then get totally confused. The picture was always fine though.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Worked fine via the Virgin TV box channel for me, just a few seconds of buffering at the start and the colour was slightly off, like it was a film about the World Cup in 1974 or something.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Watched used Amazon app on my TV, connected to the router by ethernet cable. Perfect picture for all the games I watched. No lag etc.

Same here on LG watched in 4K perfect, although I was behind compared to others in our whatsapp watching group.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Tuesday watched in bedroom on new TV but old fire stick. Very bad.
Wednesday watched in bedroom on new TV but also used new fire stick. Great picture although did freeze a few times.
Thursday watched in lounge (permission from Wife!) with new fire stick but the 50" Panasonic has seen better days. Picture quality not good but time for a new TV. No break up at all. 100% happy.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Didn't realise people had issues on lagging and quality, absolutely perfect here in little old East Preston.

Same with me, both on TV (via Amazon Stick) and on laptop. Really impressed with the picture quality on laptop, compared to watching Sky Sports on laptop, and the bonus of no freezing or buffeting.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I watched it on my laptop screened to my TV via HGA lead and was well impressed with it, much better than the usual streams and no lagging. It was about 30 secs behind actual play as son got his notification that we had scored just before it actually showed on the TV but that is not a problem to me as I dont get notifications and if son hadnt been there I would have been none the wiser. Overall very pleased.

Me too, BG. All super and lovely via a cable.

A tip for laptop uses; for reasons unknown, when I use the internet on my laptops, they lag if not plugged into the mains.

Also, my year old DELL laptop has far fewer lagging issues than my 5 year old VAIO (when I take them down my mate's house so we can watch Liverpool on BT together).

If that doesn't help, might I suggest switching it off and on again?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Me too, BG. All super and lovely via a cable.

A tip for laptop uses; for reasons unknown, when I use the internet on my laptops, they lag if not plugged into the mains.

Also, my year old DELL laptop has far fewer lagging issues than my 5 year old VAIO (when I take them down my mate's house so we can watch Liverpool on BT together).

If that doesn't help, might I suggest switching it off and on again?

For the picture to keep up, the codec (video conversion software) has to do more work, this keeps the processor busy, which in turn uses more power. Your laptop is optimised to improve run time on battery and therefore it won't let the processor step up and do the extra work, otherwise you will have a flat battery.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A couple of offshore support calls later and with some testing.

I am assured that the prime problem is fixed and won't happen again. The assurance is nice if the explanation is totally lacking in conviction.
There is not a Virgin Media problem (strangely a couple of people have confirmed that it worked really well for them). At my insistence they have escalated this to another team, who tell me it IS an Amazon problem, will take 48 hours to fix and will be working again after that. Again I am assured but not entirely convinced. All other streaming services are fine (tested Netflix and BBC Iplayer and one other). From Prime I can watch a movie preview, but the full film won't play, same as the football. Not a big deal, I don't use the Virgin TV box for much.

On my TV, I have checked all the Thursday and Wednesday night games (the rubbish on Tuesday night has already been overwritten by Amazon with something of greater cultural significance, probably old episodes of say yes to the dress). The ones with a little UHD stamp on them Arsenal v Brighton and Liverpool v Everton still appear dark. The highlight variants and all other games in High Definition are fine. On my PC I can switch quality through good, better, best and there is no problem. Roll on Boxing Day

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Plugged my laptop into the TV and both games I’ve watched have been A+

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here