Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Amazon Prime Tech stuff - watching experience

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Probably worth a dedicated but dull thread, that doesn't discuss the match, the commentary, the coverage etc - Add advice experience work-arounds and can be bounced and referenced as a troubleshooting guide.

Here goes..

Watching on a 4k Panasonic TV (my default for Amazon Prime), with a Virgin Media 100Mbs broadband/wifi service This is a bit of a weird one. Coverage from Smellhurst was good, the screen refresh rate could have been higher with the result the ball was slightly blurred. Clearly the sound was wrong as I wasn't deafened by the best supporters in the world. Coverage from Turf Moor was like the floodlights had failed. I wasn't really bothered to be honest. This became a problem when the same pattern repeated on Thursday night, with what looked like a North London floodlight failure, but a good picture from Sheffield. Also a significant lag.

Attempted to watch games via the Virgin TV box channel 205 and red button. Error every time, even after restarting the box and then phoning tech support.

Watching on the same TV using a 4K Chromecast from a laptop. Minimal lag, no lighting issues, just one short bit of buffering in the whole game last night.
Following the second match on a Chromebook, multiple network issues, constantly restarting the prime stream. Switched to our game and the coverage was about 2 seconds ahead of the Chromecast, when it wasn't requiring yet another restart.

I will post updates once I have worked out the weird dark picture thing and the lack of a Virgin red button function.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Unwatchable at home ( Something went wrong message) but excellent picture from the pub up the road , very frustrating , yet today the match replay works fine , we still won 1-2 so all good .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the first night it started off well (AppleTV connected to the TV) but in the second half of the Palace game I got the "Something went wrong" message every 4-5 minutes or so. It was easily resolved by backing out one step and going back to play the game, but it was annoying to have to keep on doing this.

Last night, it worked fine from 8pm right through to 11pm, and I only had the "Something went wrong" message once in the three hours of viewing.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
On both Wednesday and last night I started watching a 7:30 match on my LG 4K smart TV which has built in Prime channel. Both days suffered from buffering issues & got error messages prompting a restart. Both days fortunately the 8:15 match was fine, although the focus did dip in & out at times as if the cameraman zoomed in/out but forgot to adjust his focus. I have Sky fibre broadband and average about 40Mbps. Lesson learnt let it warm up for 1/2 hr before you intend to watch.

I was going to go via AppleTV last night to see if better but didn’t get round to it.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Watching the game on my TV via prime was terrible.

Im not too techy so not sure what was wrong but any fast movements like a pass was very rough/blurry/laggy.

Its annoying because the set up is great, if Sky or BT gave us the chance to choose 3 or 4 game choices it would be amazing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Son had tv in his bedroom watching 4K ....i had tv on in lounge whilst occasionally popping out to kitchen re my supper and used the iPad...all streamed..only problem i had was with the iPad..blurry for about 30 seconds ..then no problem whatsoever.
The only problem I foresee is on Boxing Day ....i can watch live football nearly all day...oh dear

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Watched on my FireStick plugged into tele. A little grainy sometimes (though iPlayer also lags on the FireStick as opposed to Smart TV app) but otherwise very smooth watching experience. I quite liked Shearer as a co-commentator.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Didn't realise people had issues on lagging and quality, absolutely perfect here in little old East Preston.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I watched it on my Samsung smart tv via the Prime App. Horrible picture for the first 15 seconds or so then cleared. I watched the first half of the Sheff Utd Newcastle game using the no commentary option, which was much better. I had the commentary on for our game but felt it was Arsenal Prime as they were so biased towards them for 80% of the time during the commentary.

Picture is no where near as good as sky hd so it felt like watching football pre-digital. I did enjoy the pre and post match stuff because they actually spoke about our game rather than "what are Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester doing this week" that you get on sky.

Time lag is a problem though with the two minute delay meaning you have to turn off any device where you may get football notifications.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I watched it through my sons xbox, perfect picture, no issues.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Watched used Amazon app on my TV, connected to the router by ethernet cable. Perfect picture for all the games I watched. No lag etc.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
My old LG aint smart, watched 1 and a half games on Wednesday and all the build up with no probs through my Roku stick.. My 35meg Vodafone broadband is great, no issues or buffering at any time. Watched in 4k last night, it was like I was there..... hang on a minute...I was...lol...

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
******** at work called me at 20:14, so watched the first half on my PC via web browser (Virgin 200mb service) absolutely perfect.

Watched 2nd half on my TV (LG 4K)) via the Virgin V6 box, again absolutely perfect. Picture quality looked good on both.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I watched it on my laptop screened to my TV via HGA lead and was well impressed with it, much better than the usual streams and no lagging. It was about 30 secs behind actual play as son got his notification that we had scored just before it actually showed on the TV but that is not a problem to me as I dont get notifications and if son hadnt been there I would have been none the wiser. Overall very pleased.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Watched on iPad, first half terrible, constant buffering. Second half flawless.

Fantastic product which if done properly will transform watching football on TV. BBC say they have designed something that eliminates buffering and delay but will take a couple of years to roll out.

Main issue I had was nearly 45 minutes after the game the panel in the studio had clearly run out of things to say but were still rehashing previous comments to try and fill the unnecessarily long time they'd been given to fill.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Earlier in the week, my 5 year old TV's app went low res blur-o-vision a few times but was fine last night. Think it was 1080p although not sure as I know the Youtube app maxes out at 720p for some reason. Never going to be as good as through Sky but more than watchable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here