Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Amazing scenes at MIGHTY Leeds

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Great sportsmanship by Bielsa. Not sure he would have done the same thing though if Leeds had anything rested on this game.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I vaguely remember it happening once before, Sheffield Utd v Arsenal maybe?

It was an FA cup tie in 1999. Arsenal scored in a similar situation and won the match creating a bit of a hullabaloo. Wenger offered to replay the match which the FA approved. Arsenal won the replay.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It was an FA cup tie in 1999. Arsenal scored in a similar situation and won the match creating a bit of a hullabaloo. Wenger offered to replay the match which the FA approved. Arsenal won the replay.

You are right, of course.
I knew there was a similar thing happened, just didn’t remember the details.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jesus. Was that 20 years ago?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Because he recognised that his team had been bang out of order, scoring their goal, after Villa had been duped into stopping by Roberts stopping as if to knock it out, and then carrying on.

And the subsequent goal was offside as well.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Up to the referee to take control of the game and to officiate. Should never have been allowed to get that far. Ref needed to signal to the Villa players to get on with it instead of allowing them to stop playing in my opinion.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
simple really, if a player appears to be serious injury they should be off for medical attention for 3-5 minutes to be attended to, while the game continues.

i know not workable or fiar for a general injury, something need to be done. more signifcant punishments, multiple game bans, on review might work but by then the damage may have been done.

So a player gets injured while being fouled and then his team gets further punished by going down to 10 men - great idea. Have you thought of applying for a job with the FA or Premier League?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Wished I’d seen it. Radio coverage mentioned feigning of injuries over the entire match by both teams, apparently rife at WHL yesterday. Yet another cheating disease by modern players, under managers instructions.

It was well worth the cost of a Now TV 24 hrs pass and especially as I wanted to watch 'another' game !

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
The difference is, Roberts (Leeds no.11) looked like he was stopping, and playing the ball out, so all the Villa players stopped.

You're certainly right that the team with the ball doesn't have to stop (and I remember our game where we didn't, because the other side were time wasting and feigning injury), but you can't pretend to stop and then carry on - that's what caused the problem.

This !

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Fair play to Bielsa for that. A Fair Play award in fact. Just about unheard of in this day and age with so much money at stake :clap2:

Except that in this particular instance, for Leeds there was literally NOTHING at stake. They are finishing in exactly third place, whether they win lose or draw this game.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Does anyone know what the odds were on "Villa to score next" during the melee?

Really was a license to print money for a few minutes.

Edit: Reading around, seems betting was actually suspended.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This was different to the Brighton situation earlier in the season. That kicked off because the oppo has the ball and attacked with a man down but as soon as they lost it they demanded we knocked it out. This was completely different and villa had knocked it out earlier.

The way to stop this is for players to stop pretending they are hurt. Any obvious pretending should be a three match ban. Bamford should get four matches for that dive. It is disgusting.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I think it stems from Villa kicking the ball out when a Leeds player went down and Leeds didn't apply the same act of sportsmanship by returning the favour, hence Bielsa letting Villa score and restoring the act of sportsmanship.

Bamford is an absolute D1ck.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So a player gets injured while being fouled and then his team gets further punished by going down to 10 men - great idea. Have you thought of applying for a job with the FA or Premier League?

It's no different to the laws as they were until a year or two ago. Often on TV commentators would query why someone who is injured and has received treatment is forced to leave the pitch. That law was introduced to reduce the amount of feigning injuries to waste time. I seem to remember it being a big problem at one of the world cups in the 90s. However, the law as it was written was not often followed correctly. It was written such that no treatment was supposed to take place. If a player was injured, or "injured", they had to leave the pitch for any treatment. But refs allowed a bit of treatment on pitch and then forced players off. I believe the law has since been amended, but I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how, just that it isn't so clearly different to how it is implemented any more.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Fair play to Bielsa for that. A Fair Play award in fact. Just about unheard of in this day and age with so much money at stake :clap2:

Had Leeds won that match against Villa, they would still have been 3 points behind Sheffield united with 1 game left to play and with a goal difference of -12 to try to overturn meaning it was pretty much settled already that Leeds were finishing 3rd regardless of the result in this match, or this act of sportsmanship so... was there actually any money at stake?.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The solution is crushingly simple. Players do NOT take it upon themselves to put the ball out of play so that someone can receive treatment, it should 100% be at the referees discretion. You play on until the ref decides otherwise. There is absolutely NO reason for players to take it upon themselves to decide if someone rolling around needs the trainer on.

Play on until the ref calls it. Whats so hard about that ?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Screenshot_2019-04-29 Kian Malhi on Twitter.jpg

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
The solution is crushingly simple. Players do NOT take it upon themselves to put the ball out of play so that someone can receive treatment, it should 100% be at the referees discretion. You play on until the ref decides otherwise. There is absolutely NO reason for players to take it upon themselves to decide if someone rolling around needs the trainer on.

Play on until the ref calls it. Whats so hard about that ?

This and totally this. The referee should go into both teams changing rooms before the start of the game and remind them to play to the whistle. End of.

I would also introduce a rule that if any player approached the ref and gave him an earful or the card symbol, give them a yellow card. The referee's should be in charge of the game, not the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here