Am I the only one that thinks things aren't that bad

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Seems to me we could have won every game this season except Blackpool if chances had been converted.
Frustrating but surely better than the opposite.
If we average 2 points per game from now on we will get to 84 points... At least the play offs?

Therefore an away draw is OK providing we start winning at home.

I reckon we are doing well. If this is our bad patch then we are going to have a great season.

This is it. What we've been saying since last year, but all the time we dont have a decent striker were gonna struggle to make things happen in front of goal.

Look at us from corners - nothing wrong with the delivery just no prescence and dont even get me started about Greer....................

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was dragged along to watch Saints vs Tottenham a couple of weeks ago. It reminded me:
1. What a flat pack IKEA stadium looks like.
2. The difference between an established premiership side and a group of south coast new arrivals.
3. How good blue and white stripes look.
4. What it's like to have a proper manager rather than a physio.

On the 4th point I heard a fairly sensible point made by an informed saints fan last week that one of Adkins problems is that, because of his background, he does not have the contacts or the influence whereby he can identify and attract the right players. We do have an intelligent manager with a clear vision of what he wants to do which seems to be accompanied by a realistic and sensible attitude, which to me augurs well that if we get there we will have a better chance of staying there.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I was dragged along to watch Saints vs Tottenham a couple of weeks ago. It reminded me:
1. What a flat pack IKEA stadium looks like.
2. The difference between an established premiership side and a group of south coast new arrivals.
3. How good blue and white stripes look.
4. What it's like to have a proper manager rather than a physio.

On the 4th point I heard a fairly sensible point made by an informed saints fan last week that one of Adkins problems is that, because of his background, he does not have the contacts or the influence whereby he can identify and attract the right players. We do have an intelligent manager with a clear vision of what he wants to do which seems to be accompanied by a realistic and sensible attitude, which to me augurs well that if we get there we will have a better chance of staying there.

This is often overlooked it's just another part of the bigger picture that results only people tend to miss.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Yay ! A common sensical thread at last!
So we have our ups and our downs, - but I'm still a happy chappy.

Sure we are still pinching ourselves and I nearly bloody cry everytime I arrive at the Amex remembering where we were, but we are playing some great football and we should be winning games. Teams are coming to the Amex and trying to nick a goal and defend, today we played like a home side, battled and stupidly gave the game away but its plain to see teams fear us and we need to believe in our talent and not settle for mid table safety. The is a new era for us and expectations should be high and continue to be so. This a tough league but we can hold our own with anyone in it.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Best thread I have read for ages with sensible opinions and perspective. For all the disappointment of not winning today it was a great listen on a dull wet Saturday afternoon

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am still a very happy person. For me all we lack is a proper second striker and a bit more premiership experience.

That will come in January or next summer and then we will have a side capable of not only going up but staying up.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I am watching the best football I've seen a Brighton team play in 30years of watching and in an amazing stadium with record crowds where the atmosphere is cracking! Things are great, we are in a bad patch but stil 8th. If we get it right, there'll be no stopping us!!!!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
One thing that corncerns me just a bit is we have taken about 90 corners without even so much of a header on goal! But the build up play is superb and worth the match ticket alone.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
f***ing hell we are 8th in the 2nd tier of English footie.
Come on lets have some f***ing positivity.
3-3 against wolves could be worse, Yes wolves, a big f***ing club! against little Brighton who not long ago were playing at shitty withdean against small time wankers like Leyton or Cheaterfield.
I love Brighton, the amex and gus so much I could explode
No of course you're not the f***ing only one. Jeez.

Sorry for the swearing but I am heartily and totally sick of threads like this. This is NOT the Withdean era any more and that should NOT be your sole point of reference.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Still more than happy about how things are progressing but it's just the age old problem with the Albion that we never do anything the easy way. We hardly ever have a run of the mill game where we comfortably win 2-0, or even lose 2-0 for that matter. It's incredibly frustrating watching us miss a succession of penalties, easy chances and conceding last minute goals. That said we do score our fair share of late goals so probably all evens itself out in the end but can understand why people rant after games like yesterday, myself included.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Everything is relative.

If someone had offered me a 3-3 yesterday before kick off I would have taken it. Being 3 points off the play-offs is fine too.

But to concede a 93rd minute goal AND have Palace come from behind to win totally peed me off.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
lol - yh but everyone remembers how shit things were......of course its great to what we have now but some would argue that last season we set the bar at a decent level. When things fall below those standards set, with a better squad, fans get frustrated at players/performances/managers etc... Were on a bad run, fans are frustrated, me included. We cannot keep going over old ground. Whilst a teams history is important, this is a new era........new team.... new outlooks. Im pretty sure the chairman will not accept mediocrity week in week out.........
onwards and upwards........

I agree we set the bar at a decent level last season, but we haven't fallen below those standards as point for point, game for game, and team for team, we're in a slightly higher position than this time last year. Onwards & upwards as you've said.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Sure we are still pinching ourselves and I nearly bloody cry everytime I arrive at the Amex remembering where we were, but we are playing some great football and we should be winning games. Teams are coming to the Amex and trying to nick a goal and defend, today we played like a home side, battled and stupidly gave the game away but its plain to see teams fear us and we need to believe in our talent and not settle for mid table safety. The is a new era for us and expectations should be high and continue to be so. This a tough league but we can hold our own with anyone in it.

Agree with this. We are so near yet so far from being one of, if not the best team in this division. When we're on song we terrify other teams. The margins are very fine and at the moment overall we're just on the wrong side. We play a different type of football to the vast majority of teams in the division (the main exceptions being Blackpool and Middlesborough), it is "work in progress" and at the moment its not quite clicking but we have a better team than last year and we are playing more in the style that Gus wants than last year. Gus is constantly adjusting the play for the better but it is a gradual, incremental process and the current adjustment relates to the fact that we've re-discovered how to score goals but have started to let a few in too. I still wonder whether we don't need a bit more physicality in the midfield and up front but it must be physicality with skill and an understanding of what Gus is trying to do, not just physicality for physicality's sake. I think the January transfer window could be crucial for this season but if we don't manage to get the right players in (and they will cost unless Gus is prepared to look at players from the lower leagues) and don't ship too many of the right players out I am confident that further improvements will be made in the summer and we will be that much stronger and competitive next year with a genuine chance of promotion.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Things are very positive for us at the moment.

Not for the "look where we have come from" mentality but because we are scoring goals and very close to unlocking a formula which could see us going on a very good winning run.

Can we do a Reading this year. I don't see why not.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Of course things aren't that bad! We're 8th.

Other people's experience will differ, but speaking personally, we've never finished as high as 8th in the second tier in all the time I've been watching the club. Things have never been so good.

simply the best Brighton team ever, we have battered team after team...we play brilliant football I love it...still gutted about 2day. however that is more to do with that i can't believe we didn't win easily...against a team relegated last year, packed full of quality...this is the best time to support Brighton

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
simply the best Brighton team ever, we have battered team after team...we play brilliant football I love it...still gutted about 2day. however that is more to do with that i can't believe we didn't win easily...against a team relegated last year, packed full of quality...this is the best time to support Brighton

Don't agree that our team is the best Brighton team ever but I agree that we are playing the best football for a generation. So wonderful to watch but still so disappointing that our performances aren't getting the victories we deserve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports