Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Has undoubtedly regressed during the year but no value to selling now. He's a very good squad player who may still develop into a 1st team regular. Even if he doesn't we'd get more in 12 months than now, contract is not a problem currently so why sell?

He very likely may become an important player again, he certainly has the talent to do so and as others have said, Biss/Propper may well be off and Lallana and Gross have limited shelf life in front of them gaps will open up in that area.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's not looked as good this season as last...but still based on what we saw when he burst on the scene confident he'll be next season's Bissouma.

Except we've bought in Moder and Caicedo since last season, and Moder at least appears to be ahead of him in the queue.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I cannot believe people are talking about moving on a proven Premier League and International player, who is 22 years old, because he hasn't played as much in the 2nd half of the season - having had Covid. MENTAL

Yes this - it's only 9 weeks since he scored the winner at Anfield too!

It's not unusual at all for a young player to have a harder second season, especially when you consider the strangeness around this season and the fact he has also had Covid. But even in a strange broken up season like this he's still managed to score that winner, get man of the match against Man Utd and contribute in other matches.

He's a real talent and an important part of the squad.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
'Clock' Emoji on his Instagram, joining the Aaron Connolly school of social media :ffsparr:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I cannot believe people are talking about moving on a proven Premier League and International player, who is 22 years old, because he hasn't played as much in the 2nd half of the season - having had Covid. MENTAL

From Alzate’s point of view, is he going to get much game time next season?
Odds are Bissouma will move on and Davy Pröpper appears to be in the same boat as Alzate all be it more experienced at PL and international level so you’d imagine he’s got his agent working overtime for a move.

If he feels Caicedo, Moder or even Ben White are ahead of him in next seasons CM pecking order, you wouldn’t blame him for asking for a move, which in my opinion would be very disappointing.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Odds are Bissouma will move on and Davy Pröpper appears to be in the same boat as Alzate all be it more experienced at PL and international level so you’d imagine he’s got his agent working overtime for a move.

If he feels Caicedo, Moder or even Ben White are ahead of him in next seasons CM pecking order, you wouldn’t blame him for asking for a move, which in my opinion would be very disappointing.

Yes, I agree. I think there's a good chance he'll want away.

It would be a shame as he's a fine young player

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

If Biss and Proper leave (I’m assuming Molbumby is definitely off), then I think Alzate has plenty of opportunities here. It’s a long season, and he’s capable of playing anywhere... not just Center mid. That versatility gives him a lot of possibilities.

He had covid and I think he had surgery as well. So he’s had a write off season. Next season is key. If he’s marginalised again then he’ll be off.

Stumpy Tim

That's a very different question though. However, I also don't think he'll necessarily get more game time in another Premier League team. I'm sure he'll play more next season, when he doesn't have Covid, Bissouma may not be around, and Lallana has another injury. Potter clearly likes him as he is one of the subs that actually gets on the pitch.

Alzate seems well advised, so I suspect he'll be happy to hang around a progressive club with a progressive manager where he does get game-time

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Still developing.

The early season error vs Chelsea didn’t help him, as it felt that GP lost a little bit of trust, as he didn’t play him regularly thereafter. However, he is still developing and hopefully will bounce back next year.

It won’t do him any harm watching Lallana either.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lallana & Bissouma is clearly our preferred central starting partnership, dare I say there is an air of ‘world class’ about the pair?

Alzate was brilliant against Newcastle and Man Utd in the centre at the beginning of the season but got injured and then probably got Covid, he lost his place to Groß and then Adam and has not looked convincing in other positions.

Potter clearly likes a creative next to Biss. With Lallana, he gets very strong leadership and experience too.

Alzate is the long term answer as Lallana always seems one game away from a dodgy injury. I think he is more pacy, dynamic and has more tricks and skills than Groß but lacks the Germans brilliant passing, stamina and game management. Since Groß stopped scoring goals regularly a few seasons ago neither is going to provide a solution to our lack of quality finishing but we probably need to solve that in the 3 players who regularly play in more advanced positions.

It’ll be interesting to see who plays next to Lallana/Groß/Alzate next season if, as expected, Biss is to leave. Potter has a choice of 5 (five) other international central midfielders to consider (Moder, Caicedo, Pröpper, Molumby, & Băluță) before he asks Tony for some pocket money to sign someone like Berge from Sheff Utd or Barrios from Zenit St Petersburg; they’ll become our midfield enforcer in the short term whilst Caicedo gains enough experience to make the position his own.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I'm still a little bit torn on Alzate and last night's performance hasn't changed that.
Lots to be positive about, his technique, quality on the ball and versatility but on too many occasions recently, weak in the challenge and vulnerable to a sloppy pass or two under no pressure. He reminds me a bit of Propper who struggled in our system. He may yet have a similar fate.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
You need very specific attributes to thrive in a Potter team, and I fear that Alzate doesn't have them. I find myself willing him to do well - he looks so classy on the ball. But isn't quick enough in the pass and seems a little light-weight. Compare with what we've seen of Mwepu already and you can see what GP is leaning towards.

I don't see him getting closer to the starting XI as the talented 20 year olds come through. He seems likely to end up being a "nearly man" at BHA. A huge shame, but football is rarely gentle on those who can't quite reach the heights.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
this thread is nearly 2 years on and he hasn't particularly pushed on has he.

Suspect can have a decent career in the game but not convinced it will be at Prem level personally

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I'm still a little bit torn on Alzate and last night's performance hasn't changed that.
Lots to be positive about, his technique, quality on the ball and versatility but on too many occasions recently, weak in the challenge and vulnerable to a sloppy pass or two under no pressure. He reminds me a bit of Propper who struggled in our system. He may yet have a similar fate.

You need very specific attributes to thrive in a Potter team, and I fear that Alzate doesn't have them. I find myself willing him to do well - he looks so classy on the ball. But isn't quick enough in the pass and seems a little light-weight. Compare with what we've seen of Mwepu already and you can see what GP is leaning towards.

I don't see him getting closer to the starting XI as the talented 20 year olds come through. He seems likely to end up being a "nearly man" at BHA. A huge shame, but football is rarely gentle on those who can't quite reach the heights.

It’s strange because he seemed to bring those attributes when he first broke into the team Perhaps COVID and the injury that required surgery
Have set him back further than we realise ?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

A touch of sloppiness has always worried me about Alzate, he has a lot of quality but can have a tendency to give the ball away in a dangerous area one or twice a match. There’s a lot of competition in midfield now with Caicedo and Richards alongside the those in and around the first team, Biss, Lallana, Ali Mac and Mwepu. He’s a good player to have from a versatility perspective but it seems Moder has outstripped him in that regard too.

He’s certainly not a player to give up on at this stage but wonder if we considered a loan to get him some more minutes.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It’s strange because he seemed to bring those attributes when he first broke into the team Perhaps COVID and the injury that required surgery
Have set him back further than we realise ?
His situation is similar to Solly March, was lightweight and inconsistent, but we knew he had skills,.. I think a year of weights and strength conditioning is required, dont forget he is young still, and I believe he will more than make it at this level.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Like others I agree it’s a shame he hasn’t kicked on as we would have liked. I wouldn’t loan him out though as he does provide excellent cover across multiple position due to his versatility. An injury crisis or Covid outbreak and he could be very useful to have around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here