Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I thought he was excellent at Burnley this season, always found space, always available, wanted the ball and positive with the ball.
We are fortunate to have a wealth of talent in the centre of midfield.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I thought he was excellent at Burnley this season, always found space, always available, wanted the ball and positive with the ball.
We are fortunate to have a wealth of talent in the centre of midfield.

I think this is it. Biss and Lallana nailed on. Moder is clearly ahead, as is Mac Allister and ofc Gross. Mwepu feels like his ceiling is higher. Caicedo does the defensive side better.
Huge competition and an embarrassment of riches (and potential riches too)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
His situation is similar to Solly March, was lightweight and inconsistent, but we knew he had skills,.. I think a year of weights and strength conditioning is required, dont forget he is young still, and I believe he will more than make it at this level.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just seeing him in the Burnley game, he's definitely bulked up already. He's not a skinny lad any more

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Like others I agree it’s a shame he hasn’t kicked on as we would have liked. I wouldn’t loan him out though as he does provide excellent cover across multiple position due to his versatility. An injury crisis or Covid outbreak and he could be very useful to have around.

Will that be good enough for the lad though?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think Alzate got all the ingredients to be a top, top player but IMO if he were to go on loan for a year to a top club in the Championship or in a top league abroad, it wouldnt be the worst thing. Normally wouldnt advocate it for a player of his class but the midfield situation is obscene and one or two of the guys are going to have a tough time getting adequate playing time.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The other thing Alzate has got to be thinking is that the production line isn't slowing down any time soon. Jenks has got to be thinking he'll be in the reckoning next season. Leonard, Moran and Spong are you'd assume targeting the season after.

I also wouldn't rule out us signing another central midfielder (in the same way as I wouldn't rule out my Mrs buying another handbag).

The act of buying another striker, or just getting Welbeck fit makes it more likely MacAllister is vying for CM.

At some point soon, some brutal decisions will have to be made in terms of releasing or selling midfielders. I hope it's not Alzate as I really love watching him. But it will be players we don't expect, who undoubtedly will go on to do well somewhere else.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I suspect Alzate may get more game time this season than might currently look the case. His versatility means that he can deputise for many players in different positions and as the season wears on there will be plenty of injuries, suspensions and Covid situations that will give him a starting position or sub role. Especially if we progress in Cup competitions.

I wouldn't name him in our current strongest starting 11 but he's an amazing young talent, with a composure well beyond his years. I very much doubt he'll be loaned out.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
At some point soon, some brutal decisions will have to be made in terms of releasing or selling midfielders. I hope it's not Alzate as I really love watching him. But it will be players we don't expect, who undoubtedly will go on to do well somewhere else.

I think this is where the club and coaching team appear most impressive. That was a team last night that had barely played together and yet the structures within the system we play meant we could switch 11 players and still appear to be in absolute control. All of the squad and some of the U23's clearly can do a job in the system and play to a high standard against a pretty decent championship team with a number of players with a lot of experience.

A bit controversially, there's a part of me thinks that the tactical system we use and our coaching makes it easier for our players to look good. I think our chairman will like that.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
As the poster who started this thread with a hyperbolic post I suppose I would say this, but I do think the boy has genuine class, we absolutely should keep hold of him and he will develop into a crucial first team player.

He has a rare appreciation of time and space on the ball that make him stand out as a central midfielder IMO. He was man of the match in that crazy game against United last year in that position. Yes he has suffered confidence issues and his form has dipped but I believe playing in different positions hasn’t helped him as well as apparent illness and injury. He does a job there but he’s not a wing back, he’s wasted in that position.

He was very good against Burnley, he’s still young and I have every faith he will continue to develop into an excellent premier league player.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As the poster who started this thread with a hyperbolic post I suppose I would say this, but I do think the boy has genuine class, we absolutely should keep hold of him and he will develop into a crucial first team player.

He has a rare appreciation of time and space on the ball that make him stand out as a central midfielder IMO. He was man of the match in that crazy game against United last year in that position. Yes he has suffered confidence issues and his form has dipped but I believe playing in different positions hasn’t helped him as well as apparent illness and injury. He does a job there but he’s not a wing back, he’s wasted in that position.

He was very good against Burnley, he’s still young and I have every faith he will continue to develop into an excellent premier league player.

Interesting discussion.

I actually think he’s better in the last third than receiving the ball deep, as he is good in tight spaces.

Different to Connolly in that he seems to be be more focused.

The only negative is that he is in a very competitive area of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I think he is a really good player , but until he stops giving the ball away so frequently, he will always be on the fringes of the team .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The other thing Alzate has got to be thinking is that the production line isn't slowing down any time soon. Jenks has got to be thinking he'll be in the reckoning next season. Leonard, Moran and Spong are you'd assume targeting the season after.

I also wouldn't rule out us signing another central midfielder (in the same way as I wouldn't rule out my Mrs buying another handbag).

The act of buying another striker, or just getting Welbeck fit makes it more likely MacAllister is vying for CM.

Jenks is having a hard enough time getting game time at Aberdeen at the moment, let alone winning over the fans, who think he's rubbish (and a southern poof with an ear-ring to boot)!

Mind you, if he survives the Aberdeen experience unscathed, he'll come back stronger.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have seen enough to be sure Alzate is very good and reliable. Made a huge step up and hasn’t disappointed. Just because he hasn’t played so much in the first team recently doesn’t mean we should forget how good he’s been. A great squad player and key member.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I thought he was absolutely brilliant at the start of last season, remember his performance in ‘that’ game at home to Man U was fantastic. Was surprised at the time he saw so little game time after but I really rate him. Like others have said the main obstacle is the huge number of options we have in that position.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Alzate out for three months after the injury at Palace.

According to The Athletic
"He underwent left ankle surgery during the international break, which is expected to rule him out for the rest of 2021.
Alzate suffered the damage after head coach Graham Potter brought him off the bench at half-time in the 1-1 draw away to Crystal Palace at the end of September.
He turned the ankle and Palace’s Andre Ayew landed on the ankle in the same incident.
He had an operation earlier this week, which The Athletic understands is likely to rule him out for three months."
https://theathletic.com/news/bright...months-after-left-ankle-surgery/CkZ9aobOr6oQ/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Alzate out for three months after the injury at Palace.

According to The Athletic
"He underwent left ankle surgery during the international break, which is expected to rule him out for the rest of 2021.
Alzate suffered the damage after head coach Graham Potter brought him off the bench at half-time in the 1-1 draw away to Crystal Palace at the end of September.
He turned the ankle and Palace’s Andre Ayew landed on the ankle in the same incident.
He had an operation earlier this week, which The Athletic understands is likely to rule him out for three months."
https://theathletic.com/news/bright...months-after-left-ankle-surgery/CkZ9aobOr6oQ/

This will increase man of the match Ayew's popularity among the faithful :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here