Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*ALLEGEDLY* Championship players involved in match fixing *ALLEGEDLY*

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
i think this is mis-understanding the story. an ex-premiership player is claiming he can buy players to do spot fixing (cards), and that he himself done this.

But:
TWO ex-Premier League stars are at the centre of a sensational police match-fixing probe after a Sun on Sunday investigation.

It comes after one player claimed another agreed to deliberately earn a booking in a recent Championship clash in return for a £30,000 payout.

One has been named as Sam Sodje. The other, who Sodje is ALLEGING got booked intentionally, has not been named.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.insideworldsoccer.com/2013/02/sam-sodje-red-card-punching-jose-baxter-crotch-twice.html

Portsmouth player sent off for punching opponent's crotch - TWICE!
[Monday, February 25, 2013 ]

Portsmouth defender Sam Sodje earned himself a bizarre red card on Saturday when he repeatedly whacked Oldham Athletic's Jose Baxter in the crotch for no apparent reason.

The Nigerian appeared to be having words with Baxter, who had earlier scored the only goal of the game to give Oldham a 1-0 victory at Boundary Park.

Baxter then covered his sensitive parts with one hand, but it was not enough to stop a second dig from Sodje.

After a bit of discussion, the referee showed Sodje a straight red, though the official escaped similar action from the 33-year-old.

"I didn't see the incident so we could only go on what the fourth official said," Pompey boss Guy Whittingham told the club's website.

"He told us that Sam had punched their player so we will look at our footage and act accordingly.

"If he has done that then it's inexcusable. You're putting your team-mates through playing 40 minutes with a man less when you're desperately trying to get back into the game."

Would love to see Jose Baxter and/or Portsmouth FC sue the nuts off Sam Sodje by way of response.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's the picture of the incident. Of the ref booking the player involved... Hence the censorship.

I didn't think it was that difficult to be honest.

Alright, alright. No need to get defensive. It is a ref showing a yellow card. Put there as if Sun readers had never seen it before. That's all I was commenting on.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Another 2 charged. Getting 'potentially' messy this

Aug 23, 2011
If the player concerned at any club thought that he wouldnt be in the team in a higher division the bung could benefit him greatly when he is let go. I dont for 1 minute think that anybody from our club is involved and just asked is it possible as I am sure supporters of other clubs would have the same view about their club.

But it wasn't just one player that played poorly and affected the match and until they scored it was even. You could argue that bridge lost zaha for one goal but if there was one player who didn't need the money then that's bridge.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Plus Barnes came THAT close to scoring - twice - within about a minute of coming on. If there WAS a fix, he clearly wasn't any part of it. Not that there was a fix, patently, the entire team just came out and played like a disinterested bunch of c***s, much the same as they did on Tuesday.

Aug 23, 2011
Plus Barnes came THAT close to scoring - twice - within about a minute of coming on. If there WAS a fix, he clearly wasn't any part of it. Not that there was a fix, patently, the entire team just came out and played like a disinterested bunch of c***s, much the same as they did on Tuesday.

Yeah complacency is much more likely the reason

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
IF the allegations are correct then any player involved needs to face a criminal court and if found guilty a prison sentence must follow. Clearly if Pakistan cricketers can receive prison sentences for spot fixing then the only way to clamp down is for footballers to be subject to the same penalty.

Following release from prison a ban from all forms of football should follow, ideally for life, but at least for a minimum of 5 years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have wondered occasionally if referees or linesmen have been offered bungs to make bizarre decisions, as I've see a few over the years.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I doubt any of our players would be involved. They are to busy having 'lad banter' in hotel rooms to start getting into throwing games.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
DJ Campbell one of those arrested

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have wondered occasionally if referees or linesmen have been offered bungs to make bizarre decisions, as I've see a few over the years.

When I was a member of Surrey FA one of the other members told me of when he was a linesman at a European game in Madrid in the 60s and on arrival at the hotel he found a gold watch on the bedside cabinet with a note saying with complements of Real Madrid hope you have a pleasant stay. After dinner there was a knock on the door and he was greeted by a young lady saying I am your companion for your stay in Madrid.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
When I was a member of Surrey FA one of the other members told me of when he was a linesman at a European game in Madrid in the 60s and on arrival at the hotel he found a gold watch on the bedside cabinet with a note saying with complements of Real Madrid hope you have a pleasant stay. After dinner there was a knock on the door and he was greeted by a young lady saying I am your companion for your stay in Madrid.

Did he....you know....?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here