Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alleged Head Injuries

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So any news reporting on this forum is tedious?

Okay, I've understood your stance.

Continue to follow all my threads with the same comment and I will copy your behaviour back, simple
Completely tedious as other websites like the BBC has all the news.

You can copy back as much as you like but it will be a paucity as I am not a tedious boring thread starter where as you are as you seek attention

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Completely tedious as other websites like the BBC has all the news.

You can copy back as much as you like but it will be a paucity as I am not a tedious boring thread starter where as you are as you seek attention
I actively seek debate on the threads that I start, this being a forum, where things are to be debated.

Attention seeking? No not really, I'm not asking or begging for people to post on my threads. I just start an above average amount of threads, and I realize that.

If that upsets you, or leads you to thinking I am an attention seeker, then I'm sorry... Not the case at all.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If that upsets you, or leads you to thinking If that upsets you, or leads you to thinking I am an attention seeker, then I'm sorry... Not the case at all.
Why would it upset me ?

It is what it is regarding attention seeking

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This has to be the answer.
Say there’s a clash of heads from a corner because a striker tanks into Dunk. We get a free-kick but Dunk then has to go off for a set number of minutes, even though he was genuinely injured and is ok to continue. It doesn’t really work unfortunately.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Say there’s a clash of heads from a corner because a striker tanks into Dunk. We get a free-kick but Dunk then has to go off for a set number of minutes, even though he was genuinely injured and is ok to continue. It doesn’t really work unfortunately.
Exactly.

All solutions to the problem of pretend head injuries that involve mandatory time out and/or a temporary substitution for the injured player (or the "injured" player) have potentially negative consequences for a side that suffers a legitimate head injury through absolutely no fault of their own.

Taken to the extreme, a cynical side could attempt to put an opposing player out of the game for a period of time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Because you feel compelled to comment on every thread that I start, I assume you have some reason to be doing so, some emotion.
Emotion ?

It is a very simple observation that you feel compelled to start a thread very often

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If the ref suspects it is not serious enough to have warranted stopping play then time the delay and make the player sit it out for that amount of time or be substituted.

It would stop instantly.
It really won't. Refs are not medical professionals and are in no position to assess whether a head injury is "serious enough to have warranted stopping play".

Beyond that, the whole point of stopping the game is so a player can be assessed. Just because a player is fit to resume play, it does not mean that play should not have been stopped. Football is trying to take the significant long-term risks of concussion seriously and as long as that remains the case, play *HAS* to be stopped if there is a chance of a head injury having taken place.

I'm as frustrated at the apparent gaming of this rule as anyone, but I can't see a solution that doesn't either risk player safety or allows a side to be weakened through no fault of their own.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It really won't. Refs are not medical professionals and are in no position to assess whether a head injury is "serious enough to have warranted stopping play".

Beyond that, the whole point of stopping the game is so a player can be assessed. Just because a player is fit to resume play, it does not mean that play should not have been stopped. Football is trying to take the significant long-term risks of concussion seriously and as long as that remains the case, play *HAS* to be stopped if there is a chance of a head injury having taken place.

I'm as frustrated at the apparent gaming of this rule as anyone, but I can't see a solution that doesn't either risk player safety or allows a side to be weakened through no fault of their own.
Give the refs the power to decide. They stop the play if they suspect a head injury, no way they should judge whether its genuine or not initially. If they suspect its faked, which was obvious today, then they punish the team by delaying his return.

Sure they may get some wrong, may get fooled occasionally, but it would stop the serial offenders like today, forest, villa. Too much risk for managers to take

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And I have agreed that I do, to seek active debate around a piece of news, which, being a forum, is what it's all about, debate
It is all about debate but fear not as my opinion was formed a while back

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
It's clearly a tactic when teams are under the cosh.

They were under so much consistent pressure for 10 minutes at a time not touching the ba. Word goes out from the bench and they were dropping like flies. You could see Dezerbi going mental at Silva for it..

It was absolutely hilarious watching their left back. Looked like he needed an air ambulance after a particular sustained period of pressure where they couldn't get the ball. One minute later he was torpedoing down the wing and jumping up and down shaking his head around when he didn't get the throw in.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Simple, if the ref deems it necessary to stop play then the player should be assessed and have to leave the field.
I guess it is the same protocol for a regular injury. If physio's come on, players have to leave the field, and are only let back on when the ref allows. It was designed to stop the fake injuries, by meaning the player would be required to be off the pitch when play restarted.

Unfortunately, the same applies for players with genuine injuries, so your best player is "taken out", and after treatment has to beg 4th official to be let on, vs Zaha crumples to the ground on 89th minute and kills 3 minutes of added time.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Simple. Don’t stop the game. Let ‘em die.
(nobody ever will, because nobody ever did)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Azpilicueta had a head injury today - everybody knew it and play stopped instantly, pretty much wthout the need for any action from the referee. Hint, then, for referees - if it's a head imjury, it's pretty obvious. If the player is clutching his face with his hands, rolling over and screaming blue murder there is a 99% chance it's not a head injury.
If the physios subsequently come on and treat his ankle, give him a yellow card. Second time, it's a red. It's not rocket science.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here