Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All things about Gus Poyet - former Brighton and Hove Albion Manager

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that's about right. Give him total control and he will do well, very well. He is a control freak, but a talented one.

I can see him going to Leeds, totally rebuilding them and coming good for them again.

Have to agree that history has shown this. Give him total control and a 40% increase in playing budget year on year and I think he will do well ???

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We need a Poyet mega thread so all this chat can go in there, whilst I admit to indulging in the schadenfreude somewhat this is getting ridiculous.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tanno had his job back and chose to leave. Charlie settled so we don't know whether he was sacked or left.

Tanno was never going to stay.

I think that's about right. Give him total control and he will do well, very well. He is a control freak, but a talented one.

I can see him going to Leeds, totally rebuilding them and coming good for them again.

If he ever proves himself a successful manager at the top level then maybe he can demand control over things but he hasn't yet. He seems to think clubs have blank cheque books and he can spend what he likes of other peoples money. Billy Davies was virtually given total control at Forest along with his brother in law solicitor and look at the mess they now find themselves in. Very few managers have the level of control that Poyet believes he deserves, maybe Ferguson and Wenger but maybe that is due to their success and longevity at their respective clubs.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
^^^^^ Very much this

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't bother now because the haters will hate. I think it is pathetic that so many threads are taken up with the bitterness when we have so many other subjects we could be debating.

One final word from me, it's fairly obvious that despite his ego, his staff & associates still want to work with him. Tanno is a given because he is a good mate, but Charlie gave up his testimonial and 10 years with Brighton to follow him. Andy Beasley the gk coach also went, and Bridcutt couldn't wait to rejoin him.

With respect this 'haters will hate' line is totally dismissive of the genuine and deep reasons that people may have for disliking Poyet.

The heart felt disgust that at the time we most needed a focused, comitted, and professional manager, he was more interested in other shenanigans and Project Poyet.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We have had to adapt our game to get results, Poyet, Tanno and that knob Oatway are one trick ponies and the tactics simply dont work in the PL. If Pulis had gone there he would have ground out results the same way as our gypsy friends up the road are doing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can understand exactly where Gus is coming from but he can't help going public about his gripes can he? He's learnt nothing from last season at all. Reading the Sunderland forums is Deja Vu. Most seem to be well pissed off with his public utterances and a few fully behind him, just like NSC at this time last season. Not mention of bed wetters on there though, must be an NSC thing :smile:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is Gus Poyet really The Second Coming Of Jesus?

So many parallels between Jesus and The Christ:

Lowly birth: Jesus - stable, Gus - Uruguay.

Disciples: Jesus - dim-witted but trusting local people / family, Gus - Tanno / Oatway / Bridcutt / The Blessed Vergini

Won over the local population: Jesus - Sermon On The Mount / Feeding of the 5,000, Gus - beating the Geordies twice

Performed miracles: Jesus - Raising Lazarus from the dead, Gus - Raising Adam Johnson from the dead

Tempted by the Devil: Jesus - challenged whilst in the wilderness, Gus - offered Wolves and Reading jobs whilst in the Championship.

Rode into the capital in triumph: Jesus - Palm Sunday on the back of a donkey, Gus - Bus to Wembley for League Cup Final vs. Man City

Problems started for both once they'd reached the capital...

Provoking the powerful: Jesus - upsetting the moneylenders at the temple, Gus - "this club is rotten to the core" at the Sunderland board

Sensing his downfall: Jesus - "One of you will betray me", Gus - "I might not last 'til the end of the season"

His supporters rebel: Jesus - the Jews turned against him, Gus - Tony Bloom / Sunderland fans turn against him

Executioner with a 'P': Jesus - Pilate, Gus - Pellegrini?

Easter Weekend, Killed in front of adoring fans: Jesus - Golgotha, Gus - vs Chelsea at Stamford Bridge?

Both rose again: Jesus - Heaven, eternal life, Gus - Carrow Road?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Blessed are the Cheese makers.......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So many parallels between Jesus and The Christ:

Lowly birth: Jesus - stable, Gus - Uruguay.

Disciples: Jesus - dim-witted but trusting local people / family, Gus - Tanno / Oatway / Bridcutt / The Blessed Vergini

Won over the local population: Jesus - Sermon On The Mount / Feeding of the 5,000, Gus - beating the Geordies twice

Performed miracles: Jesus - Raising Lazarus from the dead, Gus - Raising Adam Johnson from the dead

Tempted by the Devil: Jesus - challenged whilst in the wilderness, Gus - offered Wolves and Reading jobs whilst in the Championship.

Rode into the capital in triumph: Jesus - Palm Sunday on the back of a donkey, Gus - Bus to Wembley for League Cup Final vs. Man City

Problems started for both once they'd reached the capital...

Provoking the powerful: Jesus - upsetting the moneylenders at the temple, Gus - "this club is rotten to the core" at the Sunderland board

Sensing his downfall: Jesus - "One of you will betray me", Gus - "I might not last 'til the end of the season"

His supporters rebel: Jesus - the Jews turned against him, Gus - Tony Bloom / Sunderland fans turn against him

Executioner with a 'P': Jesus - Pilate, Gus - Pellegrini?

Easter Weekend, Killed in front of adoring fans: Jesus - Golgotha, Gus - vs Chelsea at Stamford Bridge?

Both rose again: Jesus - Heaven, eternal life, Gus - Carrow Road?

More like Judas Iscariot to me :lolol:

Spare a thought for the mods who are now having the inconvenience of putting all Poyet related posts into one thread. Full time job if he does leave Sunderland I imagine.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very few managers have the level of control that Poyet believes he deserves, maybe Ferguson and Wenger but maybe that is due to their success and longevity at their respective clubs.
Wenger never has the money to spend that his rivals do. Poyet could never do what Wenger has done, he'd be moaning every week.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wenger never has the money to spend that his rivals do. Poyet could never do what Wenger has done, he'd be moaning every week.

I'm not necessarily just talking about spending money but more the whole ethos of the club and the way they get every team to play down to youth levels. Wenger is in fact a good example because he never had the funds whilst they paid off the emirates costs but he was never always in the press bemoaning the lack of money or hitting the ceiling!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

He has had the money to spend - he never wants to spend it. He was allegedly almost forced into handing over the money for Ozil as the board wanted to appease the fans with a big signing. Wenger has been given a transfer 'war' chest year on year but simply doesn't want to spend it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here