Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All things about Gus Poyet - former Brighton and Hove Albion Manager

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No no no. You can't use your pedantry here. I was answering your assertion that they would be 'furious' with him - all I've said is why the board aren't furious, I haven't said they were delighted with him.

You have skewed my answer to suit your opinion.
I disagree with you, that's all.

They haven't spent because of his decisions, not because the money isn't available, it has been.
Someone at the club has told you that. I'm simply saying that doesn't make it fact, and that I think Wenger would want to win the league, and he would accept that he'd need to buy some players to do it, so he'd buy them if he could.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I disagree with you, that's all.

Someone at the club has told you that. I'm simply saying that doesn't make it fact, and that I think Wenger would want to win the league, and he would accept that he'd need to buy some players to do it, so he'd buy them if he could.

Not just told by someone (not at the club, a consultant working directly with the board). Look at the club accounts. The Arsenal Supporters Trust (who have a small shareholding) have been told repeatedly at meetings with Ivan Gazidis that Wenger has had money to spend. This is not a secret that Wenger has chosen not to.

I don't know what Wenger's motivation is. In an age of ridiculous amounts of money in football, as an intellectual and ideologist, I think he wants to win the league, champions league etc. as the man that did it building a side of his own developed and selected players, not through spending massive money. I think that is his position and what he is striving for.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I wonder if he has already promised Bridcutt that if he leaves he will come back for him.

I do wonder whether Liam has or is regretting his move away. I can't help thinking he would if we are fortunate enough to swap leagues with the Black Cats. Personally I'd hope he did, because I really can't help thinking that Gus turned his head with promises of guaranteed selection in the premier and the consequent fame if he followed him.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I do wonder whether Liam has or is regretting his move away. I can't help thinking he would if we are fortunate enough to swap leagues with the Black Cats. Personally I'd hope he did, because I really can't help thinking that Gus turned his head with promises of guaranteed selection in the premier and the consequent fame if he followed him.

I always thought it would be a risky move for him because although he is an ok footballer, he is not experienced enough in the Prem to dictate instructions from Gus, to the Prem experienced players. He hasn't earnt the right to be respected, he is just Gus's golden child from the Championship.

Personally I am glad for the £3.5m (or whatever the end cost is) because no one else apart from Poyet would have paid that much for him, so I see it as a blessing in disguise.

From a Brighton fan point of view it was a bloody cheek of Gus to come back for him out of spite, or one upmanship, but we got a great deal and I wouldn't change a thing.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
As much as I like Mr Poyet he doesn't half talk in riddles.
He is not the manager to have if you were in the trenches.
Bit of a poor show from him at the moment.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I always thought it would be a risky move for him because although he is an ok footballer, he is not experienced enough in the Prem to dictate instructions from Gus, to the Prem experienced players. He hasn't earnt the right to be respected, he is just Gus's golden child from the Championship.

Personally I am glad for the £3.5m (or whatever the end cost is) because no one else apart from Poyet would have paid that much for him, so I see it as a blessing in disguise.

From a Brighton fan point of view it was a bloody cheek of Gus to come back for him out of spite, or one upmanship, but we got a great deal and I wouldn't change a thing.

Yes I quite agree. I'd never considered that Gus is the only one who would have paid that much for Liam, but you are quite right.
And so I guess in a backhanded fashion he's done us a favour. Anyway testicles to the pair of them, serves them right. I hope they get dismantled tonight. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here